"Healing the Original Wound"

One cannot be a new Catholic for very long before the name of Benedict J. Groeschel, CFR crops up. I have been meaning to buy some of his books for some time, and at the retreat a few weeks was able to pick up a used copy of the 1993 book “Healing the Original Wound”, for a cheap $2.00:D

The subtitles pretty much sum up the book. “Reflections on the full meaning of Salvation” and “How to experience Spiritual Freedom and enjoy God’s presence.”

But what made this book so special to me were the stories that Benedict inserts throughout the text, stories of life in New York’s slums. I identified with every one of them. I live in Torrance, but work in south-central LA. Same thing only different.

And my work in Alcoholics Anonymous also brings me into daily contact with the kind of people Father Benedict and his Monks try to serve each day. People broken on the wheel of alcoholism and drug addiction. And the unknown percentage who make it into recovery. :frowning:

All in all, well worth the two dollars I spent. :thumbsup:

Sounds interesting. I’m sure the book is not in the public library, though :mad:

And my work in Alcoholics Anonymous also brings me into daily contact with the kind of people…People broken on the wheel of alcoholism and drug addiction.
All in all, well worth the two dollars I spent. :thumbsup:

Did you work in AA on yourself or just try to help others or both?

It is interesting you talk of healing the original wound. I probably need to work on my original wound more because the person who caused it is still “renting space in my head” - and so far, the rent is over due… :smiley:
But anyway… I just wanted 2 make the point that people don’t turn to drugs, alc or whatever thing that’s bad for them unless something is wrong interior-wise… Yet it is sometimes hard to know what al is going on inside of us… only God knows some of this stuff… and he reveals it to us slowly… and only if / when we really want it revealed… Sometimes its scary to see some of the “stuff” inside… and be reminded ofthings that happned in the past…
Anyway… i don’t have much time, so God bless…

Both.

Step 12: “Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”

I love Benedict J. Groeschels books and have read quite a few of them over this past year. Arise From Darkness is my favorite. I have read it and reread it countless times. All of his books are "money well spent" and they have really helped me increase my faith. They also make great presents for others. I cant recommend his books enough. After my Bible, his books are my favorite. He wrote a beautiful book on the rosary called Chain of Hope. He is a blessing to all of us! And I like the way he does not sugar coat anything!

Sincerely,

Maria1212

If you have access to EWTN, either on TV or online, don’t miss his show, Sunday Night Live with Fr. Groeschel. It’s on Sunday at 7:00 PM.

Peace,
Linda

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.