Healing

Hey everyone. I have a question. I joined a group of Charismatic Catholics on Facebook. The people in there told me that it is always God's perfect will for people to be healed. They told me that if I believed that God would heal me that He would indeed heal me. I was skeptical of this and I asked God if He would heal me. It seemed as though God said that He would heal me but I was still skeptical. I believed He would heal me for a short amount of time but as I said, I was still skeptical. They told me to believe that I am already healed and to praise God for the healing that is to come. At this point I became even more skeptical but I tried to do as they said. Well, God has not healed me and indeed, I am in worse health than what I was in. These people seemed to say that God would heal me of everything and put me back in perfect health. They said that the healing might be gradual or it might be instantaneous. Personally, I am very skeptical about whether or not God will heal me of all that ails me and put me back in perfect health. Can I get some input on this? It seems so much like the "name it and claim it" thing that some Pentecostals teach.

God answers prayers in a way that help us to find eternal life, I don’t think God answers prayers in a way, that just makes our lives easier on this Earth. God will never place on us a burden that is too great for us to carry, but we do need to turn to God and pray for that strength, to get us through this day, and every day, always one day at a time. We must never give up hope in a loving and merciful God

[quote="Eric_Hyom, post:2, topic:304941"]
God answers prayers in a way that help us to find eternal life, I don’t think God answers prayers in a way, that just makes our lives easier on this Earth. God will never place on us a burden that is too great for us to carry, but we do need to turn to God and pray for that strength, to get us through this day, and every day, always one day at a time. We must never give up hope in a loving and merciful God

[/quote]

Amen, that is true.

I guess what I am wanting to know is if anything these people taught me is false?

[quote="Holly3278, post:1, topic:304941"]
Hey everyone. I have a question. I joined a group of Charismatic Catholics on Facebook. The people in there told me that it is always God's perfect will for people to be healed. They told me that if I believed that God would heal me that He would indeed heal me. I was skeptical of this and I asked God if He would heal me. It seemed as though God said that He would heal me but I was still skeptical. I believed He would heal me for a short amount of time but as I said, I was still skeptical. They told me to believe that I am already healed and to praise God for the healing that is to come. At this point I became even more skeptical but I tried to do as they said. Well, God has not healed me and indeed, I am in worse health than what I was in. These people seemed to say that God would heal me of everything and put me back in perfect health. They said that the healing might be gradual or it might be instantaneous. Personally, I am very skeptical about whether or not God will heal me of all that ails me and put me back in perfect health. Can I get some input on this? It seems so much like the "name it and claim it" thing that some Pentecostals teach.

[/quote]

Hi, When I was a teenage and sick Pentecostal Christians told me if I had faith God would heal me of my illness. Well I had faith and prayed for God to heal me, but I was never healed. Since then I'm a strong advocate of medicine and I have used it to manage my condition.

Holly, you have mental health issues. Please discontinue getting advice from that group on the internet. Stick with your priest and mental health professional. I suggest you discontinue your membership in that group. They do not know your situation.

God heals. He doesn't always heal the way a lot of well intententioned people think he should. They think if you just have enough faith, you will be restored to perfect health. God gave the doctors the skills necessary to treat various conditions. Sometimes the illness is a cross he's asking us to bear and the healing we receive here on earth is to our heart and soul as we come to be grateful not just for the blessings but for the crosses as well. Sometimes, as was the case with my severely handicapped son, that healing happens at the moment of death.

God is God. He knows what is best for us, even when our idea of "best" and his idea of "best" are two very different things. He's working out eternity in all of us. All we see is here and now.

Cling to the knowledge that he is working his will, his way and in his time. Rest in that and do whatever is necessary to take care of your health. Like I said, sometimes the healing comes through the doctors.

Kris

I also have a chronic health conditon and when it finally occurred to me to ask God to heal me (9 yrs after diagnosis!) the healing came. But not with a flash of lightning - I believe I was lead to the doctor who was able to treat me in such a way as to cause my illness to go into remission. It was a doctor I had already seen for something else entirely and had never indicated to him that I needed help with something else.
So maybe you need to just try to be open to God's direction. Miracles happen in different ways than what we expect sometimes.

It is God's will for everyone to be saved and come to knowledge of the truth (1 Tim 2:4) NOT necessarily for them to be physically or emotionally healed. Remember that St. Paul had a "thorn" in his flesh and he begged God to remove it, but God did not remove it. Instead God told Paul "but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.”(2 Cor 12:7-9).

God does not heal everyone in the way in which they pray. God's plan includes the big picture and when we pray we don't have that big picture. Even something as well intentioned as a physical or mental healing isn't always something that God wants at that time. When groups tell you something like "oh, you just have to believe and you'll be healed" and then you aren't, then they are setting you up for a fall. They make you think that your faith is weak or something because your prayer was not answered. But they are misguided and that scripture about St. Paul not being healed shows it. Scripture does say things like those with the faith of a mustard seed can move mountains, or when you pray in the name of Jesus then it will be done for you. The problem is that the prayer must also be in accordance with the will of God (1 John 5:14). That is where we sometimes fall short, we don't know the will of God for a particular situation. Sometimes our suffering is the best thing for us (spiritually).. that is often why we don't receive the healing we want.

Rest assured, your prayers are not wasted, and it is not wrong to persevere in you prayer, but don't feel like your faith is too weak just because God didn't answer the prayer the way you wanted. God does hear your prayer and is healing, but may be not in the way you had in mind.

I've never figured out how those health and wealth preachers deal with death (I'm presuming they still accept that we all have to die). Do they propose those with faith are going to die in perfect health - just go to bed one night and wake up in heaven!!??!!

[/quote]

Sounds like this group has been contaminated with "name it claim it' Protestant theology and has lost their connection with the place of suffering in the Christian life.

That being said, it is true that it is God's perfect will that we be fully healed. When we get our resurrected bodies, there will be no blot, stain, or illness. Our destiny is to have a resurrected body like His. Sometimes He heals us in this life for various reasons, including to demonstrate His plan for us and to increase our faith (and that of those around us.

In general we do need to approach HIm in faith, as He says "believe you have already received it" and trust that it will come. It is wrong, though, for us to presume HIs will for our lives, and that the healing is necessarily for the present. He allows whatever suffering is needed to produce holiness in our lives, and He knows what we need better than we do. Ultimately the perfect health pertains to our souls and spirits in this life, and if our bodies are in suffering, then we consecrate that suffering to Him, for ourselves, and for the Church.

Holly3278;

I am very skeptical about whether or not God will heal me of all that ails me and put me back in perfect health.

Some years ago I suffered from a painful cough that lingered for a couple of months, it was really annoying, I should have seen a doctor, but being a man, I chose not to go. However it did get to the point when my wife made the appointment for me for the following day.

At that time, we did not go to church very often during the week, but the following day my wife said about going to church which we did, by coincidence it happened to be the feast day of Saint Blaise, the patron saint of healing for the throat, neither my wife nor I new about this feast day. My throat was blessed during the service, and I said to myself, do I trust in this blessing to heal my cough, or should I still go to the doctors in the afternoon.

I phoned the doctor after mass and cancelled the appointment, my cough vanished, some might say this was a coincidence, or it acted in the way a placebo might, I personally believe it was God responding to faith and trust.

When God responds to a prayer to increase our faith, it also appears that we shall also be asked to do something.

Blessings

Eric

Personally, I am very skeptical about whether or not God will heal me of all that ails me and put me back in perfect health.

[/quote]

This is basically a matter of faith. It boils down to whether you choose to believe what He has said, or you call HIm a liar. He has said it is His will for you to be healed, and therefore, you shall.

Now it may happen suddenly, gradually, or it may not happen in this life at all, but if you wish to be healed, and you are willing to choose to believe His very great and precious promises, then you are on your way.

If God leaves you suffering from some ailment in this life, it is for His greater glory, and for the sanctification of your soul. Therefore, you can trust that His will is done in your life, no matter what. This is the attitude of acceptance and faith. It becomes a foundation upon which all other decisions are based. You can always go back to the foundation, when you are amidst suffering, and it will provide you with the grounding to continue in hope and confidence.

funny you post this Holly I am attending a Healing Mass by Father Fernando Suarez who travels the world and heals people using the holy spirit and Jesus ! I can't wait. Ill let you know how it goes!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.