Health and Mass

All right, so here's a question that applies to me personally a little bit. I have a pretty nasty head cold, and I'm sneezing all over the place. I personally have no problem at all going to Mass tomorrow morning (I'm not that sick), but I think I might be contagious, and the congregation at my parish is fairly elderly. Is it all right for me to stay home if I think that I might get other people sick? Please understand that I'm not trying to find an excuse to stay home.

First of all, I applaud you for thinking of others.. Most of us would not have even considered it.

I think it would be quite alright to go to mass. Just pass the "peaces" verbally instead of shaking hands and hugging. Also, maybe just receive Jesus through the Host instead of drinking from the cup as well.

Just my opinion. PAX

-Matt

If you are still sneezing, please, please, please stay home. Elderly people are more frail than the rest of us and often a simple cold can become a serious issue for them.

The only time I would advise you to go ahead and attend Mass would be if your church were so sparsely attended that you could sit somewhere and not have anyone near you for ten or twelve feet in each direction. I can do that in my parish church, but many places are much more crowded.

Stay home and feel better soon!

Betsy

I agree with baltobetsy, you don’t have to go to Mass. In case you need extra reassurance, Jimmy Akin, who is a Catholic Answers apologist, posted this on his blog.

If you are sick and contagious, don't go. God won't hold it against you. you can also call and ask the priest for the anointing of the sick sacrament to be performed upon you. I have had people get better faster when they get this rite.

[quote="FrCorey, post:5, topic:186778"]
If you are sick and contagious, don't go.

[/quote]

Agreed. I know it is a sacrifice for you, but you're doing the right thing for your fellow parishioners.

[quote="Lujack, post:1, topic:186778"]
All right, so here's a question that applies to me personally a little bit. I have a pretty nasty head cold, and I'm sneezing all over the place. I personally have no problem at all going to Mass tomorrow morning (I'm not that sick), but I think I might be contagious, and the congregation at my parish is fairly elderly. Is it all right for me to stay home if I think that I might get other people sick? Please understand that I'm not trying to find an excuse to stay home.

[/quote]

Lujack it's very charitable of you to be concerned about the health of your fellow parishioners. Now if it would be possible kindly ask your parish if there is a eucharistic minister who can give you holy communion- since I believe you may receive it at home due to your present condition. God bless!

I've been in that same position a couple of times when I felt it was more charitable to others, especially the elderly, to stay home.

I have had a horrible cough for weeks. I am long past the point of being contagious (I hope) but havent attended Mass because I didnt want to distract others with my cough.

In situations such as yours, I recommend staying home and reading the Bible for an hour instead of attending Mass.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sincerely,

Maria1212

[quote="Maria1212, post:9, topic:186778"]
I have had a horrible cough for weeks. I am long past the point of being contagious (I hope) but havent attended Mass because I didnt want to distract others with my cough.

[/quote]

Is that a legitimate reason to miss Mass?

[quote="frindro, post:10, topic:186778"]

[/quote]

My cough is so loud no one would be able to hear the priest and it would be a major disruption. It is a very violent cough--and I cant control it-- and I am on antibiotics and a number of other medications to treat it so it is a legitimate reason to miss Mass. Our Parish has posted a notice on the doors of the Church reminding folks of ettiquette and emphasizing that folks should stay home when they have a cough or cold symptoms so they dont in advertantly infect others.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

[quote="frindro, post:10, topic:186778"]

[/quote]

My cough is so loud no one would be able to hear the priest and it would be a major disruption. It is a very violent cough--and I am number of other medications to treat it so it is a legitimate reason to miss Mass. In my case, I have to walk to get to Church and the cold dry winter air aggrivates it.

Our Parish has posted a notice on the doors of the Church reminding folks of ettiquette and emphasizing that folks should stay home when they have a cough or cold symptoms.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.