Health benefits to praying the rosary

huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/roxana-shaw/praying-the-rosary-is-as-_b_1894105.html

Once again, I’ve learned something new.

I was in an Anglo-Catholic church yesterday for Advent Sunday and found myself joining in with saying the Angelus. Still not quite sure what happened.

[quote="Indifferently, post:2, topic:307130"]
I was in an Anglo-Catholic church yesterday for Advent Sunday and found myself joining in with saying the Angelus. Still not quite sure what happened.

[/quote]

Grace.

The road to Hell, it is paved with your personal good intentions.
The road to Heaven, it is paved with the good intentions of Our Lady Of The Rosary.

That was a nice article.

Also, would any of you know how true this is? (It's from the article)

The rosary while known to be related to the Catholic religion, was initially introduced by the Crusaders "who learnt a similar technique from the Arabs who in turn learned it from the Indian and Tibetan masters of yoga", Dr. Bernardi states.

Great news.

Thank God for this wonderful gift.

[quote="gxensen, post:5, topic:307130"]
That was a nice article.

[/quote]

Dr. Bernardi doesn't specifically state his source. As to the Crusaders, its an assumption since the Crusaders did venerate Mary, yet their worship is thought to have been heretical as it mixed pagan worship with Christian, then went over the top with Mary. The thinking in theological understanding can be witnessed in the Castles-arts, and artifacts they left behind.

We don't have a documented record of the conception of the Rosary as we know it today. The Church dates todays Rosary to St Dominic and a vision.

Counting prayers with beads or stones date back very early in history.

[quote="Ion, post:4, topic:307130"]
The road to Hell, it is paved with your personal good intentions.
The road to Heaven, it is paved with the good intentions of Our Lady Of The Rosary.

[/quote]

And, of course, the suffering, death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. ;)

Jon

The rosary freed me from a life of sin :-)

The research I did on the rosary was that many monks would pray all of the psalms every day and the dominicans helped create the rosary so the common people could have a shorter more simplistic prayer they could say each day

[quote="gxensen, post:5, topic:307130"]
That was a nice article.

The rosary while known to be related to the Catholic religion, was initially introduced by the Crusaders "who learnt a similar technique from the Arabs who in turn learned it from the Indian and Tibetan masters of yoga", Dr. Bernardi states.

[/quote]

No, his claim has no basis in reality. Prayer beads have been used in the Catholic Church since the third century. St. Paul of Thebes (234-347) and St. Anthony (251-356) used pebbles and knotted strings to keep track of their prayers. The rosary and other Christian prayer beads developed independently from this ancient practice. A string of prayer beads that belonged to Saint Gertrude of Nivelles (626-659) is still preserved. Lady Godiva (d. 1041) is also known to have used a string of prayer beads.

The rosary developed from paternoster beads, Mary psalters, and vita Christi meditations. Paternoster beads, used for the repetition of the Our Father, became very popular in the eleventh and twelfth century. The simple Ave's said on the rosary come from Mary and Jesus psalters; psalters of 150 stanzas, each beginning with Ave and followed by a verse from one of the Psalms. The mysteries of the rosary come from the vita Christi meditations, a popular medieval devotional exercise. An interesting side note: The combination of the Ave Maria and vita Christi meditations is often attributed to Dominic of Prussia (1384-1460), even on Wikipedia, but this is not correct. In 1977 a vita Christi rosary manuscript was discovered from around 1300, which was recited by the Cistercian nuns of Saint Thomas on the Kyll.

Typical Huffpo way to start an article:

"I was raised Roman Catholic..." (And now you are what? Yoga swami?) But maybe she just wants to draw the distinction for all of us not raised Roman Catholic who only experience rosary beads dangling from other people's rearview mirrors? Know your audience, I guess. But she left out the finish - how was Abuela's heart, anyway? Did she live a long life? Is she still alive? Thoroughly disappointing article.

[quote="Dolezal, post:11, topic:307130"]
No, his claim has no basis in reality. Prayer beads have been used in the Catholic Church since the third century. St. Paul of Thebes (234-347) and St. Anthony (251-356) used pebbles and knotted strings to keep track of their prayers. The rosary and other Christian prayer beads developed independently from this ancient practice. A string of prayer beads that belonged to Saint Gertrude of Nivelles (626-659) is still preserved. Lady Godiva (d. 1041) is also known to have used a string of prayer beads.

The rosary developed from paternoster beads, Mary psalters, and vita Christi meditations. Paternoster beads, used for the repetition of the Our Father, became very popular in the eleventh and twelfth century. The simple Ave's said on the rosary come from Mary and Jesus psalters; psalters of 150 stanzas, each beginning with Ave and followed by a verse from one of the Psalms. The mysteries of the rosary come from the vita Christi meditations, a popular medieval devotional exercise. An interesting side note: The combination of the Ave Maria and vita Christi meditations is often attributed to Dominic of Prussia (1384-1460), even on Wikipedia, but this is not correct. In 1977 a vita Christi rosary manuscript was discovered from around 1300, which was recited by the Cistercian nuns of Saint Thomas on the Kyll.

[/quote]

Nice info, and thanks. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.