Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population

Health survey gives government its first large-scale data on gay, bisexual population

Less than 3 percent of the U.S. population identify themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Tuesday in the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation.

The National Health Interview Survey, which is the government’s premier tool for annually assessing Americans’ health and behaviors, found that 1.6 percent of adults self-identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent consider themselves bisexual.

The overwhelming majority of adults, 96.6 percent, labeled themselves as straight in the 2013 survey. An additional 1.1 percent declined to answer, responded “I don’t know the answer” or said they were “something else.”

I have heard of figures as high as 10%. This is indeed good news, as I have feared a real problem in sperm quality that has been reported over the last decade may be affecting future generations. Not that I commit to any firm belief as to the foundations of homosexual behaviour. Being unsure, I don’t judge them as people, but I cannot see homosexuality as anything more than an aberration from the norm. It is such a sadly difficult life situation, I try to love the homosexuals I know just that little more. I am sure they are within the heart of Jesus, I just hope I am.

Across all countries and cultures the homosexual population is between 2-3% in the human population. Even in places like Iran where they claim they have NO gay people the number will follow this trend. But people think it is higher or lower depending on where they live.

Or their political position on the subject of gay rights.

Let’s make it clear as to why this study is so important is because it’s not even in the 2-3% range but rather only 1.6% of adults identify as being gay or lesbian.

I wonder what the percentage is of those who are indeed homosexual, but don’t admit it or “identify” as such. That stat would make those numbers jump.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.