HealthCare.gov suffers outage as Sebelius testifies that it's never crashed

From AP:Poor timing was redefined in Washington on Wednesday.

During her testimony at a congressional hearing regarding the “debacle” of the HealthCare.gov launch, Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that while she acknowledges serious problems with the site, it “has never crashed. It is functional, but at a very slow speed and very low reliability, and has continued to function.”

Cue the website crashing.

Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., said, “Let’s put the screenshot up,” referring to an image of the offline site that reads, “The system is down at the moment.”
Irony defined…

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I’m sure Secretary Sebelius would point to the fact that the page gave some information as not being crashed, but simple not “working optimally”.

Blackwhite is defined as follows:“ …this word has two mutually contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it means the habit of impudently claiming that black is white, in contradiction of the plain facts. Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the **ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, **and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink. ”

—Orwell, 1984

Was Orwell prescient or what?

What is sad is that we could have set everyone in the US up with a $2million trust fund for their Healthcare needs and had some left over - for the same cost of developing their ****** web site.

Seems like he was only off by 30 years.

Two of the other quotes from 1984 that come to mind are:

“… if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”

“It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”

Personally I think “scheduled maintenance is being performed” would work better. At least they liked it when I designed that screen. :):slight_smile:

CG, didn’t you suggest this before and then someone asked if they had indeed spent $600 trillion on it?

We didn’t need Orwell.

All anyone has to do is to read about how Adolph Hitler took over Germany.

Unfortunately for O, he has American’s to deal with. Trying to get the American people to mostly go all in the same direction would be like trying to heard cats. We are a fickle bunch.:smiley:

nypost.com/2013/11/01/obama-donors-firm-hired-to-fix-web-mess-it-helped-make/

Don’t worry, they hired someone to fix it. :rolleyes:

tech firm linked to a campaign-donor crony of President Obama not only got the job to help build the federal health-insurance Web site — but also is getting paid to fix it.

The couple then became top donors for Obama’s inauguration festivities, kicking in $100,000 out of their own pockets and bundling another $300,000 from friends and business associates, according to the center.

The investments quickly paid off for Beatrice Welters. The Obama administration tapped her in 2009 for the plum job of US ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago, which she held through last November.

The couple have been frequent guests at the White House.

I was in programming long enough to know people hired on a one-time basis aren’t particularly motivated to design and set up a flawless system. Not that I’m defending them but there is something to be said about job security. But then no one is really that secure in his position these days.

Hence the desirability of health care to be in private market place where companies have a vested interest in things working right.

Jon

Secretary Sebelius keeps lying for the cause:

Cardinal Sean Patrick O´Malley urged members of Congress to support the Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act, ( R-NJ Chris Smith sponsored) which would require health plans to disclose if they subsidize abortion coverage. O´Malley´s support comes days after Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius pleaded ignorance on abortion funds. In a Nov. 1 letter to House members, O´Malley, chairman of the Committee on Pro-Life Activities for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, said the bill requiring the HHS to provide all the insurance details to exchange shoppers up front will address “one part of the abortion-related problem” in Obama´s health care law
Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, blasted her for pleading ignorance. “Are we really supposed to believe that one of the most zealous abortion supporters in the Obama administration doesn’t know which plans cover the procedure she’s spent so much of her career advocating?” asked Perkins in his “Washington Update.”
"That a woman who fought for late-term abortions in Kansas (and threw a Governor’s mansion party for the criminal performing them) would be in the dark after three years about whether the network she oversees is covering her pet cause? Give me a break," Perkins said. "Americans deserve to know which plans cover the procedure before they enroll."
christianpost.com/news/cardinal-omalley-backs-bill-to-reveal-abortion-surcharges-in-obamacare-sebelius-dodges-query-107939/

From what I head, the Montreal firm contracted to do this system was a close friend of Michelle from her college days.

That is wehat Orwell was basing his dystopian views on- the totalitarianism governments of both Hitler and Stalin.

“Random scheduled maintenance” would be more accurate. :wink:

Crony capitalism. Funny - liberals like to criticize corporations, “greedy businessmen” etc. but they let their own people off the hook.

Ishii

Dawnia, are you kidding? All he needs are supporters like my neighbor who idolizes him and thinks he can do no wrong. She is in her mid to late sixties. She is already ruthless and lethal. Give her some power, and heaven help us.

We wouldn’t be as close to the point of no return as we are if Americans had more of a backbone. Or didn’t stick their collective heads in the sand.

But, I hope you are right and I am wrong. :slight_smile:

Yep. Lots of crickets chirping on this subject. Apparently, when a Democrat gives a no bid contract to the company of a friend, and that company completely fails, it is still the fault of evil Republicans who want people to die in the streets for lack of healthcare.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.