Healthy ideas for dealing with stress?

I have finally come to the realization that the trigger for the sins I always seem to have trouble with is stress. I almost always turn to sin in stress and it is very difficult for me to calm down when I’m overwhelmed. Recently my stress problems have gotten so bad that I’ve been having panic attacks, I’m overwhelmed and find it difficult to stay sin free when I get like this. Are there any healthy things you do when you get extremely overwhelmed with stress? I’m trying to find new things to turn to that will actually help. Thank you!

I am having the same problems with stress right now - my sins are procrastination,
worry, no sense of peace.

I’ve struggled with major anxiety (panic attacks), depression, and all the stress that comes along with it. You may want to try asking your doctor about a low dose of anxiety medication (Ativan for example). It has helped some for me. However, what really seems to have been helping lately is that I started this “Read the Bible in a Year” thing. Everyday I try to spend about 10-20 minutes reading from the Old Test, Psalms, and New Testament. For some reason it’s helping me with my stress, I feel a great calm when I finish. Anyhow. there is also prayer. One that comes to mind is the Jesus Prayer. “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.”.

Thanks for sharing MattN.

I have never heard of Matt Fradd. I am familiar with the Jesus Prayer though.

First, ask your family doctor. I learned some methods there (like progressive muscle relaxation) that are useful, but need guidance in the first time.
I can only second the idea to pray the jesus prayer. It calmed me down that much that a doctor I saw before an operation thought I was already given sedativa when I was completely sober - it was amazing for both of us :smiley:

You are not alone - procrastination does nag at a person, the worry will repeat but Praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet from Saint Faustina will give you strength. No sense of peace - well, that is what we must suffer until we are with Our Lord and again simple prayers said often - we are comforted. May you have a Blessed Sunday and every day.

Matthew 11:28-30

• “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,* and I will give you rest.
  • p Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves.
    For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

I recommend you visit an adoration chapel.

A very little thing, for sure, but eating raw green beans.

Sitting there chewing on a crunchy raw green bean destresses me. It’s an outlet for some nervous or angry energy…angrily eating a green bean if the situation calls for it.

I find that drinking water (not other things, plain water) and taking naps helps a lot.

Exercise!
Exercise!!
Exercise!!!

Thank you grotto! I wish the same for you.

I really need to get out and walk as much as possible .It’s a good time to pray also.

Thank you all for the great ideas I’ll be sure to use them all! I really appreciate all of you replying. <3<3<3

I was planning on that.

Then I looked outside and I think I’d drown.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.