Hearing music from LGBT supporter

I often wonder if people who are so worried about support of LGBT are interviewing their plumber, their dentist, and the guy who makes their pizza to see if they “support LGBT” as well before using their services.

2 Likes

Well this particular singer has made it public that she supports these things…

So? Maybe the dentist isn’t shy about announcing it either.

Then someone with this way of thinking would probably avoid them if they knew about this hypothetical dentist’s point of view.

Personally I don’t believe that we should not listen to “worldly things” but at the same time,I’m not sure if a dentist or a persons plumber is the same thing because while the plumber might have a personal belief supporting gay marriage and might tell their friends (a limited audience),Katy Perry on the other hand has the whole world as her audience and stage when she is promoting her views.
It’s not just her supporting gay marriage but also the promotion of hypersexualisation and singers often have an influence over women (especially young girls).
On the other hand,I’ve never seen young girls be influenced by the sexual displays of plumbers and dentists (lol).

I think it’s about how to strike that balance of listening to the music that each individual likes,but at the same time considering not supporting them financially and making them mega wealthy.
The reality is that often these singers almost have like an unspoken competition of who can “outsexify” the other because they know that sex sells and that the public supports it and that’s what makes them rich.

Well known artists have a special form of privilege and responsibility.

Anything that is good, true, and beautiful comes from God and belongs to God, no matter who comes up with it.

Many artists hear God when creating art, but ignore Him otherwise. Sadly.

1 Like

Then we’re back to the old “if the music is an occasion of sin for you, don’t watch it”.
If you have a young girl child whom you supervise, and you think certain music or books are bad for them, you’re within their rights to tell them to not listen or read it.

A 25-year-old adult may be able to listen to or read the same thing without taking any message away.

I don’t have kids and I don’t base my own habits for what I do on “think of the children”. The world is full of messages that can be taken wrong or alternatively used as a springboard to discussion or just be seen as representing “the world”. Virtually every musician, product etc out there has sent a questionable message to society, including children, at some point.

I agree with you.
I don’t advocate for not listening to things.
In fact I think maybe that’s why Katy Perry is the way she is because apparently her parents were very strict Christians and discouraged listening to “worldly music” etc so maybe she is now in a perpetual state of “teenage rebellion”.

At the same time I do find a certain discomfort at how much money they make and supporting that.
The reality is that Katy Perry,Jlo,Nicky Minaj,Miley Cyrus, (madonna once upon a time) etc make a “truckload” of money and it isn’t because they are more talented than other singers but is because they are smart at marketing and use shock factor/hyper sexuality.

I don’t think that singers or footballers etc do something more worthy than our teachers,nurses and bakers to be paid so much and when I think about it,it’s actually quite an injustice how much they earn compared to other people,so shouldn’t that paycheque come with some form of social responsibility?

1 Like

I agree with you.
I don’t advocate for not listening to things.
In fact I think maybe that’s why Katy Perry is the way she is because apparently her parents were very strict Christians and discouraged listening to “worldly music” etc so maybe she is now in a perpetual state of “teenage rebellion”.
At the same time I do find a certain discomfort at how much money they make and supporting that.
The reality is that Katy Perry,Jlo,Nicky Minaj,Miley Cyrus, (madonna once upon a time) etc make a “truckload” of money and it isn’t because they are more talented than other singers but is because they are smart at marketing and use shock factor/hyper sexuality.
I don’t think that singers or footballers etc do something more worthy than our teachers,nurses and bakers to be paid so much and when I think about it,it’s actually quite an injustice how much they earn compared to other people,so shouldn’t that paycheque come with some form of social responsibility?

It’s quite possible to listen to music these days without putting money in the artist’s pocket to do so.
Radio is a free resource.
So are buying used CDs if you absolutely must buy.
Or just listening on some free service like where videos are offered free on the Internet.

I probably wouldn’t go to a Katy Perry concert or buy her swag, not because I think she’s morally so much worse than anything else, but because I don’t like her music that much - I maybe like 2 of her songs.
I feel much the same about Janelle Monae.

Where I’ve had to actually ask myself if I want to support is more like some death metal band. I realize that death metal is complex and what looks like a rejection of God often is the opposite, but in some cases it’s just a bit much for me to justify listening or supporting.

1 Like

I just had a look at Janelle Monae song “Make me feel”…very strong Prince song Kiss vibe.

Given her recent behavior, I think I would recommend listening to one of the other million musicians in the world.

I wouldn’t care in the slightest as long as he or she was a competent dentist. I don’t feel the need to screen peoples beliefs in order to engage in a business transaction with them.

1 Like

And I love Lady Gaga.

I dare anyone to tell I’m doing anything immoral just because she’s pro-LGBT.

Something to ponder: Do we really expect every person other than myself to agree with me on everything? Do we really expect every person to be 100% in line with church teaching, all the time? Do we really expect to do our business, or entertainment, or whatever, with those who are sinless?

1 Like

I would mostly just be mindful of the content of the music itself. Katy Perry does put a lot of pretty rotten stuff in her music. I’m not chastising you, but saying be careful – most of her music these days are pretty bad news.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.