Heart beats fast while ascending to the Altar

Every time…and if I have EM duties, I get tears in my eyes for the honor I have been entrusted with…

mine doesn’t, i’m always calm

The Lord always makes me calm. in tought times in my life, i say a prayer and think of the many times things turn out fine because of Him, it calms me down. same in communion, receiving the Lord gives me a calm amidst the stress of daily life

I’m a 27 year old male and my heart feels like it’s gonna burst out of my chest when I go to receive my Lord. I also cry like I’m at a wedding.

Occassionally, yes. When I’m altar serving it’s a lot worse!

I usually just get a warm tingly feeling after receiving. Like when someone gives you a hug.

That happened very much when I was about to get Confirmed last Tuesday :thumbsup:
It made me get a bit tounge tied and say the responses wrong though :o:blush:

It’s funny you should mention this. I’ve been feeling like this during communion off and on for years. My heart starts to race, not in a real bad way mind you, but it does accelerate. Could be my own joy and anticipation of communion that is causing the rushing heart beat.

Mine does too, like it’s breaking out of my chest! I had no idea so many others experience this too.

Whenever I have those little temptations to doubt, all I need to do is approach the Blessed Sacrament. It’s very touching, it’s as if my primal instinct knows that its Maker is right before it, even if my mind is off somewhere else. There’s so many stories I’ve come upon recently about how animals act around the Blessed Sacrament. Weird stuff, like one time when a church was being raided a priest grabbed the Blessed Sacrament from the Tabernacle, ran away and buried Him in a field. I think the priest ended up being killed or something… but then one day a farmer was plowing the land and his oxen sort of bowed and stopped. He was shocked, and the ground began emitting light. This Eucharistic miracle happened in Poland I think.

Also when Pope John Paul the Great was about to go to a church in New York (idk which one), police dogs searched it, and the dogs stopped cold in front of the Tabernacle and just sat happily.

Has anybody else felt the same way just approaching the Tabernacle to pray? I’ve been going a lot recently and it’s the nicest thing to spend some time with God absolutely alone (unlike adoration).

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade at all - but presumably we’re all fasting before Communion, some of us for hours. And some of us aren’t exactly young or in tip-top health.

Meaning the cause just might possibly (for some) be entirely physical - to do with blood sugar or blood pressure or whatnot. If this is a possibility you might want to get checked by a doctor.

I know one morning I felt lightheaded at Mass. Had nothing to do with the occasion at all. Fact was, due to my neither eating nor drinking water beforehand, combined with the extremely warm weather, I was simply dehydrated, and after Mass when I had a good long drink of water I felt much more myself.

Like I said, not wanting to dismiss the possibility that it IS proximity to the Blessed Sacrament causing this, but I’d hate people to be ignoring signs of potential health problems thinking that they’re having a religious experience of some kind if they’re not.

Personally, I never “ascend to the altar,” because I am not a priest. Perhaps the OP meant “approaching the sanctuary,” at the edge of which we receive Holy Communion.

“Ascending” to the altar is the term used for actually going up the steps (if any) and approaching the altar at the appropriate times in the liturgy. It’s what the priest(s) and the deacons do.

Haha good point :slight_smile: For me, no. I’m a healthy teenager and one hour means nothing :smiley:

My mother as a child, used to faint at Mass during the summertimes for this reason. She knew it was no act of God. But for some of us, the evidence is clear, because it happens every time.

Yes, every time. My heart beats faster, my knees get wobbly, and my breath gets short. I still don’t know how I get back to my pew. I feel this way until the priest says “let us pray.”

I am in excellent physical shape.

My heart races, I get a little shaky, very excited and some times tears will come to my eyes and not because I fasted but because I am so excited to be receiving my Lord and Savior. :getholy:

I often cry at mass, sometimes ball like a baby, but not heart racing.

My heart mind soul and body feel at total peace when I approach the altar. Especially if I am in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, some may think I’m crazy but I can feel my heart beat I am so much at peace.
What get’s me is when I help Minister Communion. Ever since I became a EMHC it is all I can not to cry with the honor I feel when I hold our Lord’s body or Blood.
Such an awesome feeling.

No but after I receive Him, I often get a rush of warmth throughout my whole body. It has happened ever since I was a little girl. Not every time, but often. That is why, when I was a know it all teenager, looking into other religions, I never left the Bark of Peter – I knew that the Real Presence was true, and I never left the Church nor abandoned the sacraments.

I used to cry at the reception (I thought there was something wrong with me), that is until I read about this thing called the “gift of tears”. I guess I must have had a rush of pride at the thought of such a “gift” or maybe just the recognition of such and so I guess I am no longer worthy. The Holy Spirit knows better. I have experienced it since just not on a regular basis.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. :crying:

No, not for me. I am at peace when I stand in line, when I receive and after I receive Holy Communion. It is always a peaceful time for me. :harp:

This used to happen to me a lot and sometimes still does, but not so much now… I don’t know why!

Perhaps because you are being purified and your faith strengthened by the absence of sensible consolations. If so, count yourself blessed. :slight_smile:

This happened to me the first few times I received, but I just figured it was an adrenaline rush.

I get a warm sensation whenever I’m up on the altar serving. I feel like someone is hugging me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.