Heaven and Paradise?

What’s the difference between heaven and paradise???

Paradise is the good half of Sheol.

Paradise was a place in Hades, there was a great chasm that separated it from Hell. It was also called the Bosom of Abraham.

Luke 16: 19:30 The Rich Man and Lazarus

“There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’ But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.’ And he said, ‘Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house-- for I have five brothers --so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.’ But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.’ And he said, ‘No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ He said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead.’”

Paradise is where the righteous went to before the gates of Heaven were opened by our Lord’s death and resurrection. It is also where the thief on the cross went to when our Lord said to him

Luke 23:43 And he said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To-day shalt thou be with me in Paradise.

Which as a side note, is where we get “he descended into hell” in the Apostle’s Creed

Heaven is the realm where God’s throne is and where those righteous ones went to and where we can go to if we are free of mortal sin.

Abraham’s Bosom/Paradise: newadvent.org/cathen/01055a.htm

Heaven: newadvent.org/cathen/07170a.htm

Hello James,

I think it would be a better question to ask what is the difference between heaven and the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom of God is where you want to be. Even Satan was, at one time, in the place the bible refers to as “heaven”. However, Satan was never begotten of God into the Kingdom of God in heaven.

Jesus assures us that no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are begotten of God (JOH 3:3). Satan is never begotten of God. Scripture tells us that angels, including fallen angel Satan, are in ‘heaven’ before Christ’s death and ressurection. What ever scripture is referring to as ‘heaven’ before Christ’s ressurection is not God’s eternal kingdom which is born into heaven through the blood of the Lamb. Satan is cast out of ‘heaven’ by the power of the blood of the Lamb (REV 12:7-12). Satan dies in the ‘second death’(REV 20). Saints born into eternal life as a part of God’s eternal kingdom, cannot be harmed by the second death (REV 2:11)(REV 20:6). Fallen angel Satan is never part of God’s eternal kingdom which is born into heaven through the blood of the Lamb.

Regardless of what you believe about purgatory, paradise, heaven and hell, it is those who Jesus swears "will not enter" into the Kingdom of God in heaven, that you do not want to be one of.

NAB MAT 5:20

I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of heaven . "You have heard that it was said to your ancestors, ‘You shall not kill; and whoever kills will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you, whoever is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment, and whoever says to his brother, ‘Raqa,’ will be answerable to the Sanhedrin, and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ will be liable to fiery Gehenna. NAB MAT 18:2

He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, **you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. **

NAB MAT 7:13

How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few. "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves. By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit. **Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. So by their fruits you will know them. "Not everyone **who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

NAB JOH 3:3

Jesus gave him this answer: “I solemnly assure you, no one can see the reign of God unless he is begotten from above.” “How can a man be born again once he is old?” retorted Nicodemus. “Can he return to his mother’s womb and be born over again?” Jesus replied: “I solemnly assure you, no one can enter into God’s kingdom without being begotten of water and Spirit.” Peace in Christ,
Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.