Heaven before Protestants?

I am wondering something. I listen to a Christian radio station all the time and here is my question:

It seems that so many Protestants believe that the Catholic Church is the “whore of Babylon”, so I am wondering, what do they think about Christians before the reformation (because any Christian would have gone to the Catholic Church), did any of them get to Heaven? Or were there Christians other than Catholics (if so, explain please). Or, was NO ONE getting into Heaven before the Protestant churches (Lutherans etc.)?

[quote=Catholics4Life]I am wondering something. I listen to a Christian radio station all the time and here is my question:

It seems that so many Protestants believe that the Catholic Church is the “whore of Babylon”, so I am wondering, what do they think about Christians before the reformation (because any Christian would have gone to the Catholic Church), did any of them get to Heaven? Or were there Christians other than Catholics (if so, explain please). Or, was NO ONE getting into Heaven before the Protestant churches (Lutherans etc.)?
[/quote]

This is quite tricky, as you get 1,000 different answers from 1,000 or so different denominations, each having its own view on how history was. Of course, when you get something skewed up like that, you wonder which of them is telling the truth. Some denominations claim that the Church apostasized somewhere between 300-400 AD; so according to their logic, the Church got lost somewhere along the way until ___________ (insert name of person/denomination here) came to fix things up. Others believe that there is a continuity of the Church, but somewhere in the Middle Ages the Church made some errors that needed to be addressed. This is quite trickier as the basis for leaving the Church is somewhat flimsy. In both cases anyway, the one thing they both fail to mention is rather simple: did Christ renege in His promise to not let the gates of Hell overcome His Church? Such a question deals a blow to Protestantism, as it questions Jesus’ own promise. Protestantism then is a disbelief in Christ, in that those who adhere to it do not seem to realize this promise of Jesus.

Peace be with you!

A lot of Protestants (and this may just be recently) like to say that the “true” Christians were in hiding until the Protestant Revolt. Did you realize that the Church killed millions upon millions of these “true” Christians? I didn’t know that until some anti-Catholic Protestants enlightened me. Of course, we Catholics have all been decieved by the pope.

In Christ,
Rand

Thanks for the responses. I just find it puzzling that some would think that the Church Christ established simply disappeared, or was in hiding ? (or never existed) until someone came along to set everyone straight. It just doesn’t add up to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.