Heaven is for Real

Don't know if there's been any posts already about this book. It's about the little boy who, during surgery, saw visions of heaven. It's an amazing book and very convincing.
Anyone else read this?

My mother recently bought the book (don’t worry, I’m under 18, so it’s normal for me to live with her :wink: ) and showed me and has been reading it for 2 days now. I’ve always wondered what the Catholic perspective on this book is too. :sad_yes:

God bless :byzsoc:

David

There have been a number of threads, but most of them are old.

There are a number of different opinions.

I read it, and thought the author was looking for attention and money. :shrug: Some believe that the author's son went to heaven and saw Jesus.

I read it and didn’t see anything contradictory to the the Catholic faith. If anything, it pointed out the importance of the Trinity which is (I think) primarily a Catholic idea of the Person of God.
I had an uncle who had heart failure and had a near death experience. He didn’t see visions but said he felt an incredible sense of peace and would never be afraid to die. To me, it seems like this little boy’s experience was just a step further than that.

[quote="livnlern, post:4, topic:251374"]
I read it and didn't see anything contradictory to the the Catholic faith. If anything, it pointed out the importance of the Trinity which is (I think) primarily a Catholic idea of the Person of God.

[/quote]

I don't remember animals in heaven being taught in the Catholic faith.

And I don't think of Mary as an afterthought. Kind of an, oh yeah, she was there, praying. :rolleyes: I remember something about her being Queen of Heaven. :thumbsup:

None of us knows for sure what heaven will be like. Why couldn’t there be animals? Didn’t God create animals? The little boy also mentioned flowers and trees. Didn’t God create those as well? They could be in heaven also, why not? There’s nothing bad about them.
As for the mention of Mary, he said she’s Jesus’ Mommy. What could be more important than that?

[quote="livnlern, post:6, topic:251374"]
None of us knows for sure what heaven will be like. Why couldn't there be animals? Didn't God create animals? The little boy also mentioned flowers and trees. Didn't God create those as well? They could be in heaven also, why not? There's nothing bad about them.
As for the mention of Mary, he said she's Jesus' Mommy. What could be more important than that?

[/quote]

Where in the Bible does it mention animals receiving souls? (So their souls could go to heaven) Or for that matter, people becoming angels? (Which would explain why people would have wings) Where in Tradition is this shown?

Yes, the father mentioned Mary. In the epilogue, and only after asked by some "Catholic friends," did the father mention Mary. And she was just another person praying at the altar of God.

If you want to believe that this boy went to heaven, visited with Jesus, walked around and saw a lion like in Narnia, you are welcome to believe. But I don't believe this father is anything more than a pastor trying to make a buck.

[quote="maryjk, post:7, topic:251374"]
Where in the Bible does it mention animals receiving souls? (So their souls could go to heaven) Or for that matter, people becoming angels? (Which would explain why people would have wings) Where in Tradition is this shown?

Yes, the father mentioned Mary. In the epilogue, and only after asked by some "Catholic friends," did the father mention Mary. And she was just another person praying at the altar of God.

If you want to believe that this boy went to heaven, visited with Jesus, walked around and saw a lion like in Narnia, you are welcome to believe. But I don't believe this father is anything more than a pastor trying to make a buck.

[/quote]

Okay, I've given it some thought and agree with you on the subject of Mary. I'm sure she has a place of honor in heaven.
As for the animals, maybe God allowed Colton to see things that would comfort him such as the rainbow horse and other animals. The same goes for the relatives he saw. These are things a little boy can relate to and understand.

Does it say anywhere in the Bible that animals won’t be in Heaven? :confused:

And Mary praying at the altar of God…seriously, what more of a place of honor can there be?? Are you telling me you don’t picture Mary at the alter of God? As Catholics we don’t believe she is equal to God, do we? She called Jesus her savior in scripture!

Or something that a dad thinks a little boy would say. Or something that would sell books to people that want to believe that their dead pet will be with them in heaven.

I picture her clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.:shrug:

Not saying she wouldn’t be praying at the altar of God, but I also wouldn’t think of her as a afterthought as the author of the book did when he put her in the epilogue.

I too am reading the book but I am not sure. I guess the answer is that we will find out what Heaven looks like when it is our time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.