Heaven is not something we have to wait for

The Bible makes it clear that when we die in a state where we have accepted Jesus Christ as our savior and remained in him until we die, we will enter the kingdom of heaven. We Catholics believe we enter heaven soon after death and purification. Can someone please tell me the verses where it shows people that have died that are already in heaven and proving that our souls stay in our bodies after until Christ comes back is a lie?

1 Like

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake. Philippians 1:21–24

The Jewish leaders were infuriated by Stephen’s accusation, and they shook their fists at him in rage. But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed steadily into heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand. And he told them, “Look, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand!” Then they put their hands over their ears and began shouting. They rushed at him and dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. His accusers took off their coats and laid them at the feet of a young man named Saul. As they stoned him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.” Acts 7:54-59

2 Likes

I can do you one better. Why wait until (physical) death?

Amen I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom. – Matthew 16:28

2 Likes

Catechism of the Catholic Church

1005 To rise with Christ, we must die with Christ: we must "be away from the body and at home with the Lord."562 In that “departure” which is death the soul is separated from the body.563 It will be reunited with the body on the day of resurrection of the dead.564

562 2 Cor 5:8
563 Cf. Phil 1:23
564 Cf. Paul VI, CPG # 28. ( CPG Solemn Profession of faith: Credo of the People of God)

3 Likes

Thought I’d just print out the 2 Scripture passages in the CCC footnote references at the end of Vico’s post:

2 Cor 5:6 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 … 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9 So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it.

Phil. 1: 22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; 24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

1 Like

Revelations shows the souls of the martyrs in Heaven, talking to God:

“I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained. They called out in a loud voice, ‘How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?’” (Revelations 6:9-10)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.