Heaven?

I was surfing today and came across the Muslim definition for heaven and I realised I had ideas about heaven (perfect happiness, seeing God and the Saints etc…)But I didn’t know the full position (yes I do have the Catechism

Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live forever… This perfect life with [God]…is called heaven. [It] is the ultimate end and fulfilment of the deepest human longings, the state of supreme, definitive happiness." Pope John Paul II has said (see link below), “[Heaven] is neither an abstraction nor a physical place in the clouds, but a living, personal relationship with [God]…This final state, however, can be anticipated…in the gift of self through fraternal charity.”

But I want a bit more) thanks.

More? How about 193 pages? Anthony Destefano’s book, A Travel Guide To Heaven

1. I’m in another country
  2. I’m saving up for a Breviary
  3. I’m a teen who devotes time to study and thus has not much money.

[quote=Pope John Paul II]"[Heaven] is neither an abstraction nor a physical place in the clouds, but a living, personal relationship with [God]…This final state, however, can be anticipated…in the gift of self through fraternal charity."

[/quote]

I fail to see how this is different from our current state… Isn’t a living personal relationship with God something any man of faith has?

Heaven is a place of complete happiness where all of the things (i.e. pain, suffering, misery) that plague us here do not exist.

• ** REV 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

REV 21:5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

REV 21:6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars–their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope John Paul II
"[Heaven] is neither an abstraction nor a physical place in the clouds, but a living, personal relationship with [God]…This final state, however, can be anticipated…in the gift of self through fraternal charity."

I fail to see how this is different from our current state… Isn’t a living personal relationship with God something any man of faith has?

Of course; and one in a state of grace is already living the life of Heaven, though not in the fullness that one will experience once the scales have fallen from the eyes. “The life of grace, which has been given to us, is the seed of the life of heaven, and is the same life in its essence,” Fr. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P., in Christian Perfection and Contemplation.

[quote=twiztedseraph]I was surfing today and came across the Muslim definition for heaven and I realised I had ideas about heaven (perfect happiness, seeing God and the Saints etc…)But I didn’t know the full position (yes I do have the Catechism But I want a bit more) thanks.
[/quote]

You ask a most profound question. Jesus spoke many parables trying to communicate an understanding of the kingdom of Heaven aka the reign of God. I would suggest the gospels as a place to get first hand definitions of the kingdom of Heaven.

In the fewest possible words I can come up with. The kingdom of Heaven is where we live when God rules first and foremost in our lives.

One significant misconception about heaven is the idea that you have to die to be there. I suppose the problem with dying is, if you aren’t there at that point. There is not much left to do about it.

peace

-Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.