Heavens Demographics

Since most Protestants believe they are saved simply by faith alone, and that they cannot lose their salvation, regardless of the sins or atrocities they commit… is it possible that more of them are in Heaven, than Catholics? Of course, assuming that they truly in their hearts believe the above.

On the other hand, Catholics believe & are taught that they cannot be saved with mortal sin on their souls. — Therefore an otherwise good Catholic that misses one Sunday Mass, and dies the following day,is going to hell.

I ask this because over the past year & a half or more I have been going to confession every few months, and I am shocked how few catholics participate in this Sacrament. I know it is not my place to judge my fellow parishiners, but I notice that one given Sunday may have twice the attendance than on the previous Sunday. I also notice that nearly all of them still go to Communion, on every Sunday. I guess that would add up to another grave sin.

I guess my assumption is that it is much easier to get to Heaven if your a sincere “saved” Protestant, than if your a Catholic. I have a feeling their are many more of them, than there are Catholics walking around without mortal sin!

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I’m exausted, so sorry about the length of this post. Hopefully, it is understood!

Veritas! Truth is truth.

You can enter my house through the third story back window, or a second story front window by helicopter or ladder but the sure way is throught the front door.

Your cup of hapiness will be full in Heaven but the amount that is measured is to consider. A gallon container can be full as wells as a 1/3 measuring cup. Both are full.

The Catholics attending Mass every Sunday may be Sincerely ignorant also. I am a cradle Catholic who went to Catholic School K-12. I did not know missing Mass was a Mortal Sin until several years ago (I’m 36.) We went because we had to. I am a product of the Peac, Love and Butteryfly liberalist movement of the 70’s. I am happy to see the Orthodoxy returning.

Easier? But where then is the taking up of our cross daily and following Jesus?

I don’t think that guys like St. Polycarp, St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Kateri Tekawitha, or St. Maximillian Kolbe would think much of that concept, do you?

In fact…I don’t think Our Lord would either.:ehh:

…But my point is that they don’t think about carrying that cross. They don’t have to. They are already saved! In there hearts they believe it and God will judge them on, what is in their heart.

If I’m missing something let me know.

CCC 1735 states “Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psycological or social factors.”

Also check out CCC 1860 about "unintentional ignorance"
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P6C.HTM

Then you are thinking along the same lines as me, right?

Other than my opinion, I can only find where mortal sin may not be imputed. Without having church document to show right now, I have heard of salvation for those outside the Catholic church.

The Catholic church is the full deposit of the Faith.

Luke 12:47-48 comes to mind. what do you think?
47 That servant who knew his master’s will but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely;
48 and the servant who was ignorant of his master’s will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly. Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.

No one on earth can ay a certain person is in hell. But the church can declare a Saint. Interesting… Has the church ever canonized a non-Catholic?

Just saw someones quote on another thread:
"Catholicism may be the hardest religion to live by but it’s the safest religion to die by. "**

I’ve seen this before as well. In what way is Catholicism harder to live by than, say, Orthodox Judaism, with its 613 commandments, laws of kashrut, laws of family purity, etc?

If devout Catholics live up to the term, “devout”, then yes, I believe it is easier, for they live by the geat Sacramental gifts that are offered to us, for everyday life. The Holy Eucharist and Pennance. — To receive these, as often as one should … keeps God so near to us! If we maintain grace and good standing with God, we are better able to do and follow His will more completely.

since this mis-states Catholic belief, it is useless as a springboard for discussion. why not look at the CA homepage articles on salvation and then discuss from that point of view. As we can see from a quick look at the many threads already here on this topic, the actual belief is that only if one dies in a state of unrepentant mortal sin and actually chooses hell rather than union with God could hell be possible. your statement is false, care to start over again?

I do remember one of the Marian Apparitions also exclaimed that there are more Protestants in Purgatory who stay longer due to the fact that no one prays for them.

They may get into heaven, but it is my belief that nothing impure can enter into it. Saved they may be, but they are not guaranteed to just trip through the Pearly Gates upon their death…

Another thing to consider: there are a number of Protestants (hubby was one) that believe if you are “saved”, you should practice that, for turning your back on your salvation willfully means you didn’t mean it the first time around. To him, you should keep that saving grace in mind with every action you do.

This was one of the main reasons why he converted to Catholism. For us, our salvation is a work in progress, not a one time only deal.

In there hearts they believe it and God will judge them on, what is in their heart.

If I’m missing something let me know.Two problems I see with this.

1. They do have to.
    Luke 9:23 And he said to all: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Mark 8:34 And calling the multitude together with his disciples, he said to them: If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not up his cross, and followeth me, is not worthy of me.

and
2. They may call themselves “saved”, but that profession is only as good as their perseverance (though some errantly believe otherwise. Listen to this Bible study.), so in spite of their professions and protestations, the Bible doesn’t teach that we are “saved” (in the sense that they use it) before we reach judgement.

However, ignorance has to be invincible and that is far less likely than many people would like to think. If a person approaches a Catholic with questions about our most holy faith (as happens here at CAF all the time) and they get catechetical answers, (IOW, we correctly answer their questions and give good information), then that ignorance is no longer in force.

No one on earth can ay a certain person is in hell. But the church can declare a Saint. Interesting… Has the church ever canonized a non-Catholic?This might apply, but not to any of us who are already Catholics. :rolleyes:

And no…We’ve never canonized an n-C. Why would we?

Well said. :thumbsup:

Why trade down from filet mignon to McDonald’s?:shrug:

No I do not! I am not here to argue Catholic Doctrine, I am hear to learn it, and get answers to questions I have always pondered. Thanks anyway!:shrug:

Why is it that people think that Protestants are incapable of committing Mortal sin?

Once they do the only way we know for them to be restored to God is by perfect contrition.

How many people of any religion are perfectly contrite?

It’s just my opinion but the number of people other than Catholics that will be in Heaven will be small because most will Mortally sin and will die without being Perfectly Contrite.

Now of course baptized Protestant children who die before the age of reason will be there because they are washed free from Original Sin and since they haven’t reached the age of reason they are incapable of Mortal sin.

Laudatur Iesus Christus.

Dear Jaguar:

The notion that ignorance of the Gospel and the Church is a ticket to heaven if one “honestly believes it” is a dangerous mistake. Here is an interesting article prepared for a conference of Bishops by (then) Cardinal Ratzinger: Conscience and Truth.

Perhaps a discussion of this document will bring us back to a more sober estimate of the chance of salvation for both Catholics and non-catholics – after all, when St. Paul discussed conscience, he offered it as a basis for the just damnation of those who had not heard the proclamation of the Gospel or the Old Law as well as a basis for their defense; see Rm 2:14-16.

It is important to note that the Law of God imprinted in one’s heart in the conscience is objective and not made up of the mistakes of the person. This is why the Holy Spirit speaking with the Fathers of the Second Vatican Council can say: “In the depths of his conscience, man detects a law which he does not impose upon himself, but which holds him to obedience," Gaudium et Spes, 16; and “Undeniably, those who willfully shut out God from their hearts and try to dodge religious questions are not following the dictates of their consciences, and hence are not free of blame,” Gaudium et Spes, 19. Clearly, the Council could not positively say that atheists were not following their consciences, unless the contents of the conscience were know – it is the Law of God, the contents of which are known to the Church.

I hope these references are helpful in putting aside the “relativist notion” that an person who believes something contrary to the Law of God will be judged by his error, rather than by the Truth

Spiritus Sapientiae nobiscum.

John Hiner

Thanks, John. I think you supplied the information I needed. I appreciate the link, also. I have wondered about that for years. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.