Hebrew Bible and Jewish community

I am reading Michoel Drazin’s “Hollow Inheritance” and was wondering if most in the believing and practicing Jewish community pretty much have the same interpretations of scripture?

The reason I ask is because we all know that within the very broad Christian community, difference in interpretations can vary widely. Hence so many denominations etc…

So I am wondering when Drazin explains various scriptures and their meanings to the Jewish people, if, for the most part, most Jews would agree with his explanation.

Thanks

No. As some have said, there seems to be as many interpretations of Torah/Tanakh as there are Jews.

To get an understanding of what Jews as a whole believe, you may want to try a book about what it is like to be Jewish instead of Scriptural commentary/interpretation. There are many books about “being” a Jew, even “dummy” guides.

Because Jews have been shaped by history and their own form of Tradition (similar to Apostolic Tradition), and because of having been scattered about the nations for so long, many forms of belief have sprung up among them. Even their commentaries can be as dizzying as comparing Christian views!

Thanks Delson. Appreciate the recommend.

Without having read a word of the book, I’m sure there are many other interpretations that Jews would accept. But the common ground is that none of them (who follow Judaism) would accept or find convincing interpretations that point to the truth of Jesus or Christianity. That said, I have argued on another thread that the more mainstream Jewish interpretation of the story of Adam and Eve is that they committed an actual sin, which is similar to the Christian view, and not like the interpretation that it was a choice given to Adam by G-d, which was probably formulated simply to distance the Jewish interpretation from Christianity’s concept of Original Sin, which we do not believe in.

Thanks Moses! :slight_smile:

I do believe it wasnt until the 4th century w/Augustine that the doctrine of Original Sin was more formally defined?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.