Hebrews 10:26-31

So essentially if we sin willfully its pretty much over for us right?

1 John 2:1-3
2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend reading the NT - all of it - several times a year.

St. Paul had a particular sin in mind: spurning Mass, and the Eucharist.

The whole chapter is about the Eucharistic sacrifice of Jesus:

Heb 10:19 Therefore, brethren, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus,
20 by the new and living way which he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh,
21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful;
24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,
25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.
26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
27 but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries.
28 A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace?

Quoting from the Catholic Scripture Study on Hebrews:

So if we refuse the liturg y of the Eucharist, refuse the confession, refuse fellowship with the Church, then we separate ourselves from the one and only sacrifice that can take away our sins.

What about the Sacraments? Unlike bible Christians, we do not read verses in isolation, so as to fear them and avoid them. Scripture, as with the Church, is a unity. It counsels reconciliation with God - the entire New Testament speaks of it in some fashion.

Good answers. I would add Heb. 10:26 is talking about a persistence (as others have also brought out and I reiterated here).

Heb 10:26-31 is talking about several things

[/FONT]http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=10796857&postcount=17

and

2178 (any / all emphasis mine)

This practice of the Christian assembly dates from the beginnings of the apostolic age. The Letter to the Hebrews reminds the faithful “not to neglect to meet together, as is the habit of some, but to encourage one another.” (encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near Hebrews [FONT=Verdana]10:25)

Tradition preserves the memory of an ever-timely exhortation: Come to Church early, approach the Lord, and confess your sins, repent in prayer. . . . Be present at the sacred and divine liturgy, conclude its prayer and do not leave before the dismissal. . . . We have often said: “This [/FONT]dayis given to you for prayer and rest. This is the **day **that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

This shows why
[LIST]
*]“the **day” **Sunday, is a holy day of obligation,
*]deliberately missing mass is a mortal sin.
[/LIST]As we know as Catholics, mortal sin is forgiven in the sacrament of reconciliation :slight_smile:

When you say sin willfully what do you mean? You cannot sin by accident. All sin is deliberate.

Even if we commit a mortal sin it is not over for us as we have the Sacrament of Reconciliation where we can be restored to grace.

Its only over for us if we die in a state of mortal sin, but we have until our dying breath to repent.

I’ve just noticed you are a Catholic so I’m surprised you do not know this. Have you never been to Confession?

:thumbsup:
Catholic Confession
Scriptures About Penance
Divine Mercy Chaplet

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.