Hebrews 8:10-11: Any insights? When?

Hebrews 8:10-11 RSV
This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach every one his fellow or every one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

Hi, Robert Sock!

This is an excellent passage for those Scirpturalists… the origin of the prophecy is prior to Jesus so if we adhere to the letter of the Law nothing else should be Written and there should be no need to Teach anyone about God.

But notice what the passage actually tells us:

“…and they shall be my people…”

This Spirit comes only to those who become God’s people:

**44 While Peter was still speaking the Holy Spirit came down on all the listeners. 45 Jewish believers who had accompanied Peter were all astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit should be poured out on gentiles too, **(Acts 10:44-45)

Once a person learns about Jesus and God’s Salvific Plan there’s no need to teach them about that which they’ve learned. The Holy Spirit, that dwells in the Believers, helps us understand the fullness of Truth. Yet, Truth cannot be revealed (taught) over and over.

The New Testament Writings served to do both (introduce [Teach] and remind [expand on the Truth through definition and doctrine]):

**15 If you love me you will keep my commandments. 16 I shall ask the Father, and he will give you another Paraclete to be with you for ever, 17 the Spirit of truth whom the world can never accept since it neither sees nor knows him; but you know him, because he is with you, he is in you.

26 but the Paraclete, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all I have said to you.** (St. John 14:15-17, 26)

However, when the Spirit of truth comes he will lead you to the complete truth, since he will not be speaking of his own accord, but will say only what he has been told; and he will reveal to you the things to come. (St. John 16:13)

Maran atha!

Angel

So this is happening in the here and now?

LOVE! :heart:

Paul, as you know, is speaking to the Christ believing Jews at that time, but a** futuristic** interpretation could be alluded to when Our Lord lamented over Jerusalem:
Matthew 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Hi, Robert Sock!

…yeah… once Jesus’ Promise became evident (Pentecost) those who are members of His Mystical Body (the Church) receive the Holy Spirit… even as children (when not fully in charge of our faculties) the Holy Spirit enlightens us and reminds of of Christ’s Word/Teaching. But we do not need to be taught and preached over and over that Jesus Saves and that Jesus is God… it is only the depth and width of God’s Revelation that continues to Grow and Assert itself in us as we develop into maturity (both in intellect and spirituality).

But the key to all of this is our part of the equation: age does not always translates to wisdom; just as growth/definition in the Faith does not only depends on human intellect and understanding but mostly on obedience to the Holy Spirit: we must remain humble and obedient to God in order to receive that Guidance and Understanding.

So when we read Sacred Scripture we must concern ourselves with God’s Intent and not only in what the text seems to say to us.

Maran atha!

Angel

It seems to me to be futuristic.

LOVE! :heart:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.