Hell for cowardice, and heaven for little

My brother said he read somewhere from CA (Jimmy Akin I think) that one cannot commit a mortal sin from weakness. This seems clearly false to me. Anyone heard about this?

I also wonder about “virtues” that are easy to do. Are they even virtues at all? Acquired after hard work, sure, but aren’t virtues which come easy at first almost forced onto us because of our natural inclination to love goodness?

That is patently false. One can commit a sin of any magnitude by weakness.

I would say to do wrong because of weakness is still a sin, but then we know that God has us covered on that front. Of more interest is the notion of easy virtue. I don’t recall where I heard it, but I do believe I had heard it said that when you pray or show reverence when it feels the most difficult is when God appreciates it most.

Here is an Akin article (“Are Most Catholics in America Going to Hell?”) discussing weakness and mortal sin; perhaps it was the one to which you were referring. I find nothing unorthodox about it. ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/are-most-catholics-in-america-going-to-hell

I’d argue that every sin committed is a sin committed out of weakness. Whether that is a weakness of will, a weakness of knowledge, or a weakness in caring about God and his will, it is still born of weakness. Every mortal sin would be a sin of weakness because in order for it to be mortal we have to understand that it is gave, and then freely chose to engage in it. This means that when we commit a mortal sin either our wills are weak, our dedication to God is weak, or both are weak.

I would also argue that no virtue is inherently easy. Certain virtues may be easier for some people than others, but that doesn’t mean the virtue is “easy,” it just means that you’re more naturally disposed to that virtue than another. For instance let’s say that I’m pretty good at being Charitable, I find it easy to give my time and money to others. This, however, is offset by that fact that I am horrendously impatient. The instances in which I am charitable do not become less efficacious because I find them easy to do, just as my acts of patience are not more efficacious because they are difficult. Performing an act of patience is -better- for me, but only because it’s helping me develop the virtue so that it will be easier to do in the future, not because it’s worth more due to difficulty.

You can’t really argue that. Mary makes a distinction between sins of weakness and sins of malice, in the Revelations of Saint Bridget.

Private revelations are not Church teachings. We don’t have to believe them at all.

Maybe not, but in this particular case, Mary’s quote seems to be backed up by logic too.

The only thing that counts is what the Church teaches.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.