Hell in Islam

There have been a number of posts concerning the description of Paradise in Islam on these boards and so I think that it is only appropriate that a description of Hell in Islam be also included as well.

The aim of this thread is to provide a better understanding of what Islam teaches will be the fate that awaits the disbelievers and evildoers in the Hereafter.

Remember that if Islam does indeed turn out to be the Truth, then there is really no harm in knowing what to expect when we eventually arrive at our final destination… wherever that may be.

The Creation of Hell-Fire

“Fear the fire, which is prepared for the disbelievers.”
[Ali’-Imran, 3: 131]

“Truly Hell is lying in wait- a destination for the transgressors.”
[an-Naba, 78: 21-22]
(One’s rejection of faith is transgression against Allah and himself).

Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated: “Allah Messenger (peace be upon him) said,
‘When someone dies, he is shown his destination morning and evening and if he belongs to the people of Paradise, (he will be shown his place) among the people of Paradise, and if he is from the people of Hell, (he will be shown his place) among the people of Hell.’”
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
“There was a dispute between Hell and Paradise during which Hell said, ‘The haughty and the proud will find abode in me.’ And Paradise said, ‘The meek and the humble will find their abode in me.’ Thereupon, Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, (addressing Hell) said, ‘You are the means of My punishment by which I punish those of My servants whom I wish.’ (and addressing Paradise), He said, ‘You are My mercy by means of which I will show mercy to those whom I wish. And each one of you will be full.’”
[Muslim]

The Gates of Hell

“The unbelievers will be led to Hell in crowds until, when they arrive there, its gates will be opened…”
[az-Zumar, 39: 71]

“And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them all. It has seven gates: to each of those gates is a specific class of sinners assigned.”
[al Hijr, 15: 43-44]

“To them will be said, ‘Enter you the gates of Hell to dwell therein. And how evil is this abode of the arrogant.’”
[az Zumar, 39: 72]

“But those who reject Our signs are the companions of the left hand – on them will be fire vaulted over.”
[al Balad, 90: 19-20]

In Arabic, the phrase “on them will be fire vaulted over” indicates that the gates of Hell be closed. In other words, the fire will encompass the companions of the Fire, and the gates of Hell will imprison them within. As well, the gates of Hell will be locked, vaulted all around, and outstretched columns will cover the doors.

“It is the fire of Allah, kindled to a blaze, which mounts right to the hearts. It will be a vault over them in outstretched columns.”
[al Humazah, 104: 6-9]

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
‘When the month of Ramadan begins and the gates of Heaven are opened, the gates of Hell are closed, and the devils are chained.”
[Sahih al-Bukhari]

Levels of Hell

“To all are degrees or ranks according to their deeds.”
[an-An’am, 6: 132]

“Is the man who follows the good pleasure of Allah like the one who draws upon himself the wrath of Allah and whose abode is in Hell – an evil refuge? They are varying grades in the sight of Allah, and Allah sees well all that they do.”
[ali’-Imran, 3: 162-163]

“Indeed the hypocrites are in the lowest depths of the Fire; you will find no helper for them.”
[an Nisa, 4: 145]

It is narrated on the authority of 'Abdullah b. Umar that the Messenger of Allah observed: O womenfolk, you should give charity and ask much forgiveness for I saw you in bulk amongst the dwellers of hell. A wise lady among them said: Why is it, Messenger of Allah, that our folk is in bulk in hell? Upon this the Holy Prophet observed: You curse too much and are ungrateful to your spouses. I have seen none lacking in common sense and failing in religion but (at the same time) robbing the wisdom of the wise, besides you. Upon this the woman remarked: What is wrong with our common sense and with religion? He (the Holy Prophet) observed: Your lack of common sense (can be well judged from the fact) that the evidence of two women is equal to one man, that is a proof of the lack of common sense, and you spend some nights (and days) in which you do not offer prayer and in the month of Ramadan (during the days) you do not observe fast, that is a failing in religion. This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Abu Tahir with this chain of transmitters. (Book #001, Hadith #0142)~Muslim

Good thing it has a chain of narrators to make it valid.

What are your thoughts if Islam turns out to be false?

Capacity and Depth of Hell

On the Day of Judgment the inhabitants of Hell will see their destined abode face to face and will realize the error of their ways. But, of course, it will be too late. The Qur’an states:
“No! When the earth is pounded to powder, and your Lord comes with His angels, rank upon rank, and Hell, that Day, is brought [face to face] – on that Day will man remember? But how will that remembrance profit him?”**
[al Fajr, 89: 21-23]

“On the Day We will say to Hellfire, ‘have you been filled?’ it will say, ‘Are there some more?’”
[Qaf, 50: 30]

Ibn Mas’ud (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said:
“Hell will be brought on that Day. IT will have seventy thousand reins with seventy thousand angels drawing it by each rein.”
[Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“And his (the disbeliever’s) seat in Hellfire is as much as (the distance) between Makkah and Madinah.”
[at-Tirmidhi and al-Hakim]

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported: “While we were in the company of Allah’s Messenger (pbuh), we heard a terrible sound. Thereupon, Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said, ‘Do you know what that sound is?’ When we answered, ‘Allah and His Messenger know best.’ He said. “That is a stone which was thrown into Hell seventy years ago and has been constantly falling until now when it finally reached the bottom.’”
[Muslim]

Abu Hurairah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
“Hell and Paradise fell into a dispute during which Hell said, ‘I have been distinguished by the proud and the haughty.’ And Paradise said, ‘What is the matter with me that only the meek and the humble and the downtrodden and the simple enter me?’
Thereupon, Allah said to Paradise, ‘You are the means of My mercy whereby I show mercy to those of My servants whom I wish.’ Then HE said to Hell, ‘You are the means of punishment whereby I punish those of My servants whom I wish. Both of you will be full.’ Hell will not be filled up until Allah puts His foot over it. Then Hell will say, ‘Enough, enough, enough,’ at which point it will be filled up, all of its parts integrated together.”

[Muslim]

Anas bin Malik (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him) said:
“Hell will continue to ask, ‘Is there anything more?’ until Allah, the Exalted, and High will place His foot thereon, Then it will say, ‘Enough, enough, by Your honor,’ and some of its parts will draw close together.’”
[Muslim]

Very common of a Muslim; trying to scare someone into Islam.:shrug:

If Islam turns out to be false, then there would be a good chance that both Paradise and Hell does not exist and so there might not be much to fear I think.

Why a good chance they don’t exist? Are you suggesting if Islam is false then Catholicism is also false? Islam came after Jesus and relies on Judaism and Catholocism but if it were to fade away as myth it would change nothing about both what Jews and Catholcis believe.

Burning in hell forever: Islam’s absurd punishment

“Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be a true system.” - Thomas Paine

In Islam, burning in hell forever is a punishment given to disbeleivers; those who dont beleive in the quran:

Quran 4.14 : And whoso disobeyeth Allah and His messenger and transgresseth His limits, He will make him enter Fire, where he will dwell for ever; his will be a shameful doom.

If Allah said that a certain person will burn in hell forever, this is a lie. It is not possible for someone to burn in hell forever.
Ask me why ? Here is the logic. I invite all Muslims to follow this ONE argument which I give here, and follow it step-by-step and tell me where I am wrong?

1. A human being is a finite being
  2. Thus he can only commit a finite amount of sin in his entire life. The sin maybe a LOT, but it will NEVER be infinite sin. It would always be a certain definable quantity of sin.
  3. Burning in hell forever is an Infinite sin.
  4. It is NOT fair to punish a finite amount of sin with Infinite punishment.
  5. Thus burning in hell forever is unfair and wrong.

Finite ‘good’ may be rewarded with infinite ‘reward’, and no one will object to that but to punish finite sin with infinite punishment is nothing but CRUELTY and insanity.

apostatesofislam.com/apostates/abulk/articles/absurd_punishment.htm

Islam stands on it’s own.

If Islam is false, then I think that there would be an equal chance that either Hinduism, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Judaism or even paganism and atheism would be the truth… or none at all.

Did Thomas Paine claim to have received revelation from his Creator?

Was he a good Christian?

In Islam, burning in hell forever is a punishment given to disbeleivers; those who dont beleive in the quran:

Quran 4.14 : And whoso disobeyeth Allah and His messenger and transgresseth His limits, He will make him enter Fire, where he will dwell for ever; his will be a shameful doom.

If Allah said that a certain person will burn in hell forever, this is a lie. It is not possible for someone to burn in hell forever.
Ask me why ? Here is the logic. I invite all Muslims to follow this ONE argument which I give here, and follow it step-by-step and tell me where I am wrong?

1. A human being is a finite being
  2. Thus he can only commit a finite amount of sin in his entire life. The sin maybe a LOT, but it will NEVER be infinite sin. It would always be a certain definable quantity of sin.
  3. Burning in hell forever is an Infinite sin.
  4. It is NOT fair to punish a finite amount of sin with Infinite punishment.
  5. Thus burning in hell forever is unfair and wrong.

Finite ‘good’ may be rewarded with infinite ‘reward’, and no one will object to that but to punish finite sin with infinite punishment is nothing but CRUELTY and insanity.

apostatesofislam.com/apostates/abulk/articles/absurd_punishment.htm

Does not Christianity also teach that those who disbelieve will burn in Hell forever??

Isn’t this what is written in the Bible and what the Church teaches?

It just amazes me how Islam turns a vast amount of muslims into Atiests. And that was one mans POV.:wink:

Does the koran define exactly what or who a disbeliever/ unbeliever/ transgressor is ?

Hambakhan, is disobeying the word of Mohammad a** sin **or a mistake? If it is only a mistake, would that person go to hell?

Islam does not stand on it’s own as it relies on what came before. It would have nothing if it did not reference Jesus or Abraham, Moses or Adam.

If Islam is false, then I think that there would be an equal chance that either Hinduism, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Judaism or even paganism and atheism would be the truth… or none at all.

You would be better to believe nothing at all then than to believe Islam.

No disrespect but Islam is a religion sent from Satan. There is only one God, and that is Jesus Christ. There have been many Muslims converting to the Catholic faith as this too was predicted. What are these Muslims seeing that you are not?
Islam is violence and God is not violent. He is a merciful God, but also a Just God. There will be judgment day and all who do not believe in Christ, even when they are told about him and still reject him will suffer the consequences.

Mohammed is the key to Islam as it all centers around him. Not God or even allah, the god of the Quran.

Muslims may deny this but everytime his name is mentioned they give worship to him.

Mohammed is in the first pillar of Islam: Shahada: The declaration “There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His prophet.”

The word(s) “disbeliever” appears 376 time(s) in 353 verse(s) in Quran in M. Khan translation.
O prophet (Muhammad SAW)! Strive hard against the disbelievers and the hypocrites, and be harsh against them, their abode is Hell, - and worst indeed is that destination.
( سورة التوبة , At-Taubah, Chapter #9, Verse #73)

The word(s) “disbelief” appears 111 time(s) in 104 verse(s) in Quran in M. Khan translation.
It is not (proper) for the prophet and those who believe to ask Allahs Forgiveness for the Mushrikoon (polytheists, idolaters, pagans, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) even though they be of kin, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the Fire (because they died in a state of disbelief).
( سورة التوبة , At-Taubah, Chapter #9, Verse #113)

The word(s) “transgress” appears 70 time(s) in 64 verse(s) in Quran in M. Khan translation.
And whosoever disobeys Allah and His messenger (Muhammad SAW), and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein; and he shall have a disgraceful torment.
( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #14)

To avoid veering off-topic, I think it is best that I continue elaborating on the description of Hell in Islam and by so doing, God-willing, all of the relevant questions being asked on this thread will eventually be answered.

The Fuel of Hell-Fire

People:
“Those who has disbelieved – their wealth and their children will never benefit them anything with Allah. And those are the ones who are the fuel of Hellfire.”
[ali’-Imran, 3: 10]

Jinn:
“And there are among us Muslims (in submission to Allah) and others who deviate from justice. And whoever accepts Islam has sought out the right path. As for those who deviate, they will be firewood for the Hellfire.”
[al-Jinn, 72: 14-15]

Stones:
“But if you cannot – and of a surety you cannot – then fear the fire whose fuel is men and stones, which is prepared for those who reject faith.”
[al Baqarah, 2: 24]

“O you who believe, save yourselves and your families from a fire whose fuel is men and stones, over which are appointed angels, stern and severe, who do not disobey Allah in what He orders them and who do precisely what they are commanded.”
[al-Tahreem, 66: 6]

False Gods
“Verily, you (unbelievers) and what you worship besides Allah are fuel for Hellfire, You will surely come to it. If those had (truly) been gods, they would not have come to it. But all will abide therein eternally.”
[al-Anbiya, 21: 98-99]

“And the Fierce Fire will be brought out before those straying in evil, and it will be said to them, ‘Where are those you worshipped besides Allah? Can they help you or help themselves?’ Then they will be thrown into it (the Hellfire) on their faces – they and those straying in evil and the soldiers of Iblees, all together.”
[ash Shu’ara, 26: 91-95]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.