Hell

In the Ask a Moderator Section a person asked Michelle Arnold about Hell. In her reply Michelle stated that God didn’t directly create Hell. I found that to be kinda odd so I looked in an old Catechism book (I misplaced my Catechism). In it said that Hell wasn’t created at the beginning of the Universe but after the fall of the Angels.

However I also went to New Advent to see what it said
newadvent.org/cathen/07207a.htm

and it said something very strange to me:

***In itself, it is no rejection of Catholic dogma to suppose that God might at times, by way of exception, liberate a soul from hell. ***

If you want to find the particular section where it states that go to Section III Eternity of Hell and its the 8th Paragraph.

Eternity is eternity and once a soul is in Hell, God will NEVER liberate a soul from it. To me that is heresy.

Read the paragraph more carefully. It goes on to condemn this opinion. Yes, the statement is heresy, but the author of the article isn’t promoting this view. Here is the context (emphasis added):

“In itself, it is no rejection of Catholic dogma to suppose that God might at times, by way of exception, liberate a soul from hell. Thus some argued from a false interpretation of I Peter 3:19 sq., that Christ freed several damned souls on the occasion of His descent into hell. Others were misled by untrustworthy stories into the belief that the prayers of Gregory the Great rescued the Emperor Trajan from hell. But now theologians are unanimous in teaching that such exceptions never take place and never have taken place, a teaching which should be accepted.

Please read that section in its full context. Hell is eternal and that is what that definition is saying along with the misguided opinions of those who argued a false interpretaion of 1 Peter 3:19.

Many take writings out of context and then say that this is what the Church teaches. Be so careful as not further mislead others:tsktsk: …God Bless:)

You beat me to the punch…:smiley:

Thank you Mack for your Post. I did read the full paragraph of which you quoted but I only pasted what I felt was relevant at the time.

When I read the rest of that paragraph I felt that he wasn’t trying to refute the opening heretical statements but giving a little history on how others have erroneously misquoted scripture to justify that heresy which the author believes. However the last sentence which you quoted But now theologians are unanimous in teaching that such exceptions never take place and never have taken place, a teaching which should be accepted seems to contradict his opening heretical statement. I guess I have to ask why did he put it in there to begin with.

Hi,
I asked a question about hell and was given the recent answer from Michelle Arnold, but that didn’t really answer it.
Was Satan given domian over hell as he is depicted in many movies, books, etc. Is he gathering souls (or trying too) for “his world” which is God-less and empty?
Some devil worshipers believe as in the “Rosemary’s Baby” type of movie, that hell might be repugnant to many, but for some hedonist types, “not so bad”.
I believe God controls everything, but he did cast Satan into hell and Satan does roam the earth with other demons…not bound to hell. Just wondering what other posters thought. Thanks!

%between%

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.