Hell

I was wondering…
If you die with mortal sins on your soul, does that mean you get automatic hell?
((I thought you had the chance at purgatory…?))
I guess what I’m asking is if you really can get automatically thrown into hell for any reason, including not believing in God, rejecting God, etc.
Thanks and GOD bless~! :]

Thats why we all pray for a “timely” death, as in, time to have Extreme Unction.

Remember God had to make Hell only because Lucifer sinned ONCE.

Then Adam through Eve extended the width and breadth of it because they sinned ONCE. (The fathers believe Adam lived 900 odd years in penance).

God is unchanging

When in mortal sin, run to the nearest priest… Dont wait till once a year, or Monthly, Just keep in the Grace of God.

Pergatory only cleanses the effect of the sin… not the actuall sin. That has to be forgiven here on earth.

Nobody gets thrown into Hell. They choose to go there by rejecting God’s love. Committing a mortal sin is rejecting God’s love. If someone really dies with an unrepented mortal sin then they end up in Hell.

I heard someone on EWTN say they did not “give up drugs” They “gave up Hell”.

** Actual Sin**

**63. Is original sin the only kind of sin? **
Original sin is not the only kind of sin; there is another kind, called actual sin, which we ourselves commit.
Amen, amen, I say to you that whosoever commiteth sin is the servant of sin. (John 8:34)

**64. What is actual sin? **
Actual sin is any willful thought, desire, word, action, or omission forbidden by the law of God.

**65. How many kinds of actual sin are there? **
There are two kinds of actual sin: mortal sin and venial sin.

**66. What is mortal sin? **
Mortal sin is a grievous offense against the law of God.
Flee from sins as from the face of a serpent; for if thou comest near them, they will take hold of thee. (Ecclesiasticus 21:2)

**67. Why is this sin called mortal? **
This sin is called mortal, or deadly, because it deprives the sinner of sanctifying grace, the supernatural life of the soul.
Before man is life and death, good and evil; that which he shall choose shall be given him. (Ecclesiasticus 15:18)
68. Besides depriving the sinner of sanctifying grace, what else does mortal sin do to the soul? **
Besides depriving the sinner of sanctifying grace, mortal sin makes the soul an enemy of God, takes away the merit of all its good actions, deprives it of the right to everlasting happiness in heaven, and makes it deserving of everlasting punishment in hell.
For the wages of sin is death; but the grace of God, life everlasting in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)

**69. What three things are necessary to make a sin mortal? **
To make a sin mortal these three things are needed:
first, the thought, desire, word, action, or omission must be seriously wrong or considered seriously wrong;
second, the sinner, must be mindful of the serious wrong;
third, the sinner must fully consent to it.

**70. What is venial sin? **
Venial sin is a less serious offense against the law of God, which does not deprive the soul of sanctifying grace, and which can be pardoned even without sacramental confession.
Be ye therefore perfect, as also your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 6:48)

71. How can a sin be venial?
A sin can be venial in two ways:
first, when the evil done is not seriously wrong;
second, when the evil done is seriously wrong, but the sinner sincerely believes it is only slightly wrong, or does not give full consent to it.

**72. How does venial sin harm us? **
Venial sin harms us by making us less fervent in the service of God, by weakening our power to resist mortal sin, and by making us deserving of God’s punishments in this life or in purgatory.
But I tell you, that of every idle word men speak, they shall give account on the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36)

**73. How can we keep from committing sin? **
We can keep from committing sin by praying and by receiving the sacraments; by remembering that God is always with us; by recalling that our bodies are temples of the Holy Ghost; by keeping occupied with work or play; by promptly resisting the sources of sin within us; by avoiding the near occasions of sin.
And if thy right hand scandalize thee, cut it off and cast it from thee. For it is expedient for thee that one of thy members perish rather than that thy whole body go into hell. (Mark 9:42)
74. What are the chief sources of actual sin? **
The chief sources of actual sin are: pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth, and these are commonly called capital sins.
75. Why are these called capital sins? **
They are called capital sins, not because they, in themselves, are the greatest sins, but because they are the chief reasons why men commit sin.

**76. What are the near occasions of sin? **
The near occasions of sin are all persons, places, or things that may easily lead us into sin.

The Resurrection and Life Everlasting

“I believe in … the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.”

**176. What is meant by “the resurrection of the body”? **
By “the resurrection of the body” is meant that at the end of the world the bodies of all men will rise from the earth and be united again to their souls, nevermore to be separated.
Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again. (I Corinthians 15:51)
177. Why will the bodies of the just rise? **
The bodies of the just will rise to share forever in the glory of their souls.

**178. Has the body of any human person ever been raised from the dead and taken into heaven? **
By the special privilege of her Assumption, the body of the Blessed Virgin Mary, united to her immaculate soul, was glorified and taken into heaven.

**179. Why will the bodies of the damned also rise? **
The bodies of the damned will also rise to share in the eternal punishment of their souls.

**180. What is the judgment called which will be passed on all men immediately after the general resurrection? **
The judgment which will be passed on all men immediately after the general resurrection is called the general judgment.
And he charged us to preach to the people and to testify that he it is who has been appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead. (Acts 10:42)

181. What is the judgment called which will be passed on each one of us immediately after death? **
The judgment which will be passed on each one of us immediately after death is called the particular judgment.
For it is easy before God in the day of death to reward everyone according to his ways. (Ecclesiasticus 11:28)
182. If everyone is judged immediately after death, why will there be a general judgment?

Although everyone is judged immediately after death, it is fitting that there be a general judgment in order that the justice, wisdom, and mercy of God may be glorified in the presence of all.
Then shall the just stand with great constancy against those that have afflicted them and taken away their labors. These seeing it, shall be troubled with terrible fear, and shall be amazed at the suddenness of their unexpected salvation. (Wisdom 5:1-2)

**183. What are the rewards or punishments appointed for men after the particular judgment? **
The rewards or punishments appointed for men after the particular judgment are heaven, purgatory, or hell.
184. Who are punished in purgatory? **
Those are punished for a time in purgatory who die in the state of grace but are guilty of venial sin, or have not fully satisfied for the temporal punishment due to their sins.
The fire will assay the quality of everyone’s work; if his work abides which he has built thereon, he will receive reward; if his work burns he will lose his reward, but himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. (I Corinthians 3:13-15)

**185. Who are punished in hell? **
Those are punished in hell who die in mortal sin; they are deprived of the vision of God and suffer dreadful torments, especially that of fire, for all eternity.
The he will say to those on his left hand, “Depart from me, accursed ones, into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.” (Matthew 25:41)

**186. Who are rewarded in heaven? **
Those are rewarded in heaven who have died in the state of grace and have been purified in purgatory, if necessary, from all venial sin and all debt of temporal punishment; they see God face to face and share forever in His glory and happiness.
Then the king will say to those on his right hand, “Come, blessed of my Father, take possession of the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.” (Matthew 25:34)

**187. What is meant by the word “Amen,” with which we end the Apostles’ Creed? **
By the word “Amen,” with which we end the Apostles’ Creed, is meant “So it is,” or “So be it”; the word expresses our firm belief in all the doctrines that the Creed contains.
Amen, I say to you, I have not found such great faith in Israel. (Matthew 8:10)

Yes, if you die with unrepented mortal sin you have separated yourself from God’s grace, lack sanctifying grace in your souls, and go to hell.

Purgatory is NOT a place “in between” Heaven and Hell. It is transitory, only those going to Heaven go to Purgatory-- a place of cleansing.

Purgatory cannot give you what you lack-- sanctifying grace. And, sanctifying grace is necessary for the Beatific Vision.

Of course you can.

However, your term “thrown into Hell” is a little off. One chooses to separate oneself from God by sinning mortally without repentance.

So, if you end up in Hell you have cast *yourself *into Hell by rejecting God’s grace, forgiveness, Church, and Sacraments-- all meant to aid us to Heaven.

“If someone really dies with an unrepented mortal sin then they end up in Hell.”

But what if someone is sorry for the sin, just never got the chance to go to confession or recieve Extreme Unction?

“Purgatory cannot give you what you lack-- sanctifying grace. And, sanctifying grace is necessary for the Beatific Vision.”

Then how does one get into Heaven? In other words, how would you obtain sanctifying grace?

Thanks for the answers!! :]
God bless~!!!

Unless you are going to die within minutes or seconds of committing a mortal sin, your “chances” of going to confession are pretty good. You have years, months, weeks, days, and even hours to get to confession. Don’t put off for tomorrow what you better do today! :wink:

It is possible for this person to be saved, provided that his soul is perfectly contrite – that is, the person must desire forgiveness not just because he doesn’t want to go to hell, but because he is sorry for having sinned.

See the Catholic Encyclopedia article on contrition, especially the section at the end called “Obligation of Eliciting the Act of Contrition”.

“Purgatory cannot give you what you lack-- sanctifying grace. And, sanctifying grace is necessary for the Beatific Vision.”

Then how does one get into Heaven? In other words, how would you obtain sanctifying grace?

What 1ke was saying is that one cannot go to Purgatory unless one has received sanctifying grace. If one dies in a state of mortal sin and is not perfectly contrite, one cannot go to Purgatory because of the lack of sanctifying grace. When we die, it breaks down like this:

1. Those who die in a state of grace (no unrepented mortal sins) but with pennace due from their sins go to Purgatory to complete their pennance.

2. Those who die in a state of grace and with no pennance due (i.e., they have completed their pennance through appropriate actions or indulgences) go directly to Heaven.

3. Those who die with unrepented mortal sins on their souls and who are not perfectly contrite go directly to Hell of their own volition.

4. Those who die with unrepented mortal sins on their souls but who ARE perfectly contrite (which, by the way, is not something we can judge of someone else) can go to Purgatory to be purified.

Peace,
Dante

If one has perfect contrition, then one is not unrepentant.

We receive sanctifying grace at Baptism. If we sin mortally and lose sanctifying grace in our souls, it can be restored through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

We are strengthened in grace through the other Sacraments and the practice of virtue.

Then what’s the purpose of Purgatory?
Sorry, this is pretty confusing for me… :]

Thanks for the answers! :smiley:

If you die in a state of mortal sin you go to Hell. Purgatory is not for anyone who dies in mortal sin.

Purgatory is for the cleansing of venial sins and the unremitted temporal punishment of mortal sins already forgiven.

Ah, that makes sense~!!! :smiley:
haha~! praise GOD, i finally kinda get it~! :]

Thanks a bunch, GOD bless~!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.