Hello Everyone! I need some help with purgatory objections

Hi All,
This is my first post here so if i do something wrong please bear with me.I will do my best to keep it as short as poosible,but that might be difficult. I am a Cradle Catholic, went to the Catholic schools, and attended Catholic Church(not as much as I should have)up until about 3 years ago. The only reason I left was because I married a Non-Catholic(who is not anti-catholic at all) that wanted to find a church that we both could agree on and raise our family.We ended up at a Non-Denom Restoration Church:hmmm: that had me re-examine my infant baptism and consider re-baptism.Well I considered it and at that time I thought the biblical evidence made we wonder enough, that I did it and joined that church.Well we have been going there about 3 years now and the whole time I was there I knew I was missing something. That something was the Church Jesus Christ establised with his Apostles. I AM COMING HOME:D . I never left the Catholic Church with any biblical issues,I just thought the right thing to do was attend a Church where we thought we both could agree on.I no longer take my faith for granted, I realize now how important Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church are in my life:) I truly believe that the Holy Spirit has been guiding me thru my journey, which has led me back home. Im so sorry for taking so much space but i am so excited that my reationship with GOD is getting so much stronger.Well I went and told the Pastor of that Church that I was leaving and headed back the Catholic Church,3 hours later and several topics later,Purgatory seemed to be his biggest problem w/Catholicism. We started sharing emails back and forth and i wont go in to detail because this is a long enough post now:o I asked About Matt12:32 cant be heaven because ther are no sins in heaven,cant be hell because once your there its too late.His response was the age to come is referring to the Christian age because at that time it was the mosaic age:confused: #2His response to 1Cor3:13-15 was that those passages were referring to the preachers at that time:confused: Another objection he had was saying Purgatory diminishes the sacrifice :mad: of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.I have other questions that i will post on another thread (much much shorter i promise) I lost the email he and i had on the subject so I had to paraphrase and try and remeber his objections, they were much more detailed than this. Please pray for my Wife and I as i share the Catholic Faith w/her as I hope some day she will join the Original Church.

God Bless

Some good resources:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=49133&

catholic.com/library/last_things.asp

geocities.com/thecatholicconvert/biblecheatsheet.html

cin.org/users/james/files/how2purg.htm

[quote=jmc66] I asked About Matt12:32 cant be heaven because ther are no sins in heaven,cant be hell because once your there its too late.His response was the age to come is referring to the Christian age because at that time it was the mosaic age
[/quote]

Ask him to prove that? Why is his interpretation better than yours. There is nothing about the context suggesting a Mosaic/Christian dichotomy, but there is much in the context speaking of judgment and the Last Things.

#2His response to 1Cor3:13-15 was that those passages were referring to the preachers at that time

So he believes that preachers back then were saved through a purifying fire? Does he believe the same of preachers today? Either way, why does the cleansing of those early preachers not take away from the sacrifice of Christ?

Another objection he had was saying Purgatory diminishes the sacrifice of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.

Purgatory is merely the sanctification of humans after they die and before the enter heaven. If the process of sanctification after death diminishes Christ’s work, how come the process of sanctification after conversion and before death doesn’t diminish it (he should believe in a process of post-conversion sanctification)?

Thanks De Fide And John Henry, your comments and resources are great:clapping: I hope i can get more comments and views from others because i feel a little overmatched biblically. Since I realized I needed to be back in the Church, I have had my nose in the bible more in the last year than in my 38 previous years. This Pastor is pretty well versed, I wish I still had the E-Mail he sent me because it was a little more in depth than my memory.But with the Bible and everyone here at Catholic Answers I think I can present an strong case. God Bless

I once had a similar discussion with a prot, and I may have succeeded somewhat. This is kinda how it went:

Me: Are you a sinner?
Him: Of course.
Me: So, when you die, you will die as a sinner?
Him: Yeeeessssss (sensing a setup)
Me: So do you think that you, as a sinner, will be taken immediately into the throneroom of the Lord God? Do sinners stand around the Throne of God?
Him: Well, not like that. I believe that our sins will be eleminated in the blink of an eye when we die.
Me: Oh, so you do believe that there is an event- however brief - in which our sins are dealt with prior to entering heaven?
Him: Yes.
Me: OK, that event is what Catholics call “Purgatory.” You have a different view of how it will be than many Catholics, but the Church has never taught about the particulars of Purgatory. So you do believe in Purgatory, though you have a different idea of what it will be like than many others.

[quote=jmc66]Hi All,
This is my first post here so if i do something wrong please bear with me.I will do my best to keep it as short as poosible,but that might be difficult. I am a Cradle Catholic…
[/quote]

we’re praying for you, jmc66 (and your wife!), and welcome back home!

Thanks DF,

Funny,Witty and Logical.(I like it) If you dont have a copyright or patent on it i would like to use it:D .

p.s. Did he have any final remarks?

Thanks antiaphrodite, your prayers are appreciated and it feels great to be back:)

[quote=jmc66]… If you dont have a copyright or patent on it i would like to use it. p.s. Did he have any final remarks?
[/quote]

You’ll need to talk to my lawyers.

Kidding. The guy did protest (he was protestant, after all) that he didn’t believe in purgatory. So I did go on to ask the guy what he called this “event” when our sins are dealt with. He didn’t have a name for the event. So I suggested he call it “purgatory” just like the Catholics do. He seemed berwildered.

He was a coworker who was laid off a very short time thereafter. I have lost touch with him.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.