Hello Muslims!

:slight_smile:

I have one question for muslims today, and hope that it stays on topic.

Do muslims believe Mary was a widow when Jesus was about 33 years old? What do Muslims believe about the state of Mary and Joseph, and if he was a widower himself?
I realize there are many different ideas on the death of Jesus, but I would like to connect the dots and know all possible theological explainations on the life of the holy family of Jesus, Mary and Joseph according to the Muslim view in a nutshell.
Please, do not direct me to links or cut and paste stuff.
I want the simple answer here, with the various theological opinions on the matter in a clear and concise manner.

Thank you!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Joseph

Make sure to check the references :wink:

Islam says Mary had no husband.

**Mary was very young when she was left with Zakariyya in the temple. This temple was in eastern area, far away from the birth city of Mary. She was left there to serve in the temple. (Quran chpter 19)

When she came of age (say 14 to 16 years), she was handed over to some one (Joseph) by the will of God. The person was selected by Lots. So the right person (Joseph) was selected by Allah. (Chapter 3). Mary was a virgin when handed over to Joseph.

It is believed that Joseph was quite an old man and he was a carpentar by trade. ( and a pious man). But Mary was young. She was well within the age of marriage (means her menses may have started by then.). She knew quite well the biology of birth matters. (ch. 3 amd 19).

Jospeh and Mary lived together for about 14 years like husband and wife and they used to close their doors on the world like husband and wife (for 14 years.) (bibleNT)

During that time Jesus must have been born. Joseph took Mary and Jesus to Egypt very soon after the birth of Jesus, for safety of Jesus life, because there was danger to his life from the ruling king. There was no danger in Egypt.

That period in Egypt was 12 years. (These things are from bible.)

It is believed that Joseph being much senior in age than Mary must have died before Mary. So, it is understood that Mary became a widow.

When Jesus was born, it was a normal birth and Mary suffered lot of pain. (Quran ch. 19) She was comforted by God not to be sorry or hurt. There was a lot of goodness in that birth. Mary was well advised how to go about in the world after the birth of Jesus.

She was told not to deliver any sermons or make any religious speeches… (chapter 19).

Please forgive me for not being clear. If Mary was married to Joseph (as she was), then after the death of Joseph she became a widow. No doubt.**

So here we have a muslim instead of using his quran, uses Holy Bible to answer the questions and than when difficulty arises, says that the Holy Bible is corrupted. Amazing Planten
:rolleyes:

I should have clarified: I asked my new Muslim friend about Mary’s husband and he said there is none in Islam.

such details about mary not mentioned in quran

Thank you all for answering. This seems to be a non relevant topic for Islam. I happen to think it is something that needs to be addressed with some type of percise statement one way or the other, in order to tie it all together. There are just too many of those types of responses I get when asking muslims to explain things they believe. It is very vauge and many speculations can be entertained, or none at all. That’s only my opinion of course.
I do like to at least know the basics on the major belief systems though.:slight_smile:

As I understand it, when the koran was authored, Joseph did not have a role in it.

So if asked how would a muslim answer the question? Does he consider what is written in Jewish/Christian tradition or assume through Islamic tasfeer?

okay, help is needed here. But, I thought Muhammed said in the Koran that the Jewish/Christian believers should be sought for clarity on the bible. ?

Am I wrong?

Two Jewish leaders came to Muhammad and asked if he believed that the Torah they had in their possession was the truth from God…

“Do you not allege that you follow the religion of Abraham and believe in the Torah which we have and testify that it is the truth from God?” He replied, “Certainly, …”

The above quote is from Guillaume’s “The Life of Muhammad”, which is basically a translation of Ibn Ishaq’s “Sirat Rasulallah”, the most authentic extant biography of Muhammad, page 268. [1]

answering-islam.org/Silas/bible.htm

if you asked muslims about knowledge from islamic point of view , they will answer you from quran or sunnah , and if you asking them about details not mentioned in islamic sources (quran , sunnah) , then they will rely on thier personal knowledge from other sources ,
but in this matter the answer not considered to be islamic answer , it will be the answer of someone who happened to be muslim

so that ,i said that there is no islamic answer for this question , because the deatails of mary’s life not mentioned in our ouran

is that clear!

There are details of Mary’s life in your narrative that are not in the christian narrative, so it is not a challenge of your narrative, or an assualt on it.

I got the feeling that even Muhammed respected Mary as a holy person.

Just from some brief searching on what Islam teaches about Mary.

However, I tend to give a lot of rope to one who is about to hang themselves with it.

As one can imagine when sources are questioned and dug diligently, we see frustrated responses, almost to the point of being offended. Islam also teaches in the Quran that Jews accused Virgin Mary of unspeakable acts. We know from historical knowledge that Jews would have taken care of the Holy Mother through certain violent acts instead of just accusing.

The main problem is that who is telling the truth in these sources?

if you asked muslims about knowledge from islamic point of view , they will answer you from quran or sunnah , and if you asking them about details not mentioned in islamic sources (quran , sunnah) ,** then they will rely on thier personal knowledge from other sources ,**

Here is a key point. What other sources? Can they claim certain authority over these sources? The most common unintellectual approach from the muslim is that he would cite the Scripture verses but then again he would use his own standard to declare if that Scripture verse is tampered with or not.

but in this matter the answer not considered to be islamic answer , it will be the answer of someone who happened to be muslim

This could possibly mean that there can be over a billion different theories about something really unknown.

so that ,i said that there is no islamic answer for this question , because the deatails of mary’s life not mentioned in our ouran

Is it a big loss for the muslim to not know about the details of Mary’s life?

This is the correct answer from an Islamic point of view. The Quran says that Mary was the most believing woman on eaarth. On the level of a Patriarch-

Where does it state this? I am curious.

Thank you meedo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.