Help...anorexia and promises to God and confusion

Hi everyone,
So, I have this really bad habit of making promises to God which I am incapable of keeping. Like even if I try not to promise a particular thing, the urge to promise it sort of imposes onto my until I relent. And there are other times I’m just plain not thinking.

I have a particularly bad habit of promising to fast, so the other day I was like, “why don’t I promise to eat an insane amount of calories a day or something, so I’d never need to undertake unnecessary fasting?” Of course, I then felt the need to promise to eat no more than 2,000 calories a day most days in order to ensure I’m not committed to a life of overeating. And then I was just like, “I know, I’ll just promise to go back to the diet I followed when I was anorexic, then I’ll lose tons of weight, and be really motivated because breaking said diet would now be a mortal sin.”

Now I’m totally lost on what to do, because I feel like any traces of anorexia I may still have are using God to manipulate their way back into my life…should I adhere to this restrictive diet for a week, and then begin eating normally again, in order to honor the promise without engaging in serious self-harm? Help!!!

Thanks and God bless
Alison

Yup, that’s definitely bad news. Eating disorders are VERY sneaky, and it will not be good for you physically or spiritually to starve yourself in that manner.
Regarding the promise, talk to your priest. I myself am of the mind that a bad promise is better broken then kept.

I’d eat normally until you are sure with no questioning. Maybe when you are 70 or 80!

Eating normally is just that, normal. God wants you to be healthy not sick again.

Please be careful with yourself.

You can always go vegetarian if you want to do it as a penance.

[quote="Unicyclops, post:1, topic:327220"]
Hi everyone,
So, I have this really bad habit of making promises to God which I am incapable of keeping. Like even if I try not to promise a particular thing, the urge to promise it sort of imposes onto my until I relent. And there are other times I'm just plain not thinking.

I have a particularly bad habit of promising to fast, so the other day I was like, "why don't I promise to eat an insane amount of calories a day or something, so I'd never need to undertake unnecessary fasting?" Of course, I then felt the need to promise to eat no more than 2,000 calories a day most days in order to ensure I'm not committed to a life of overeating. And then I was just like, "I know, I'll just promise to go back to the diet I followed when I was anorexic, then I'll lose tons of weight, and be really motivated because breaking said diet would now be a mortal sin."

Now I'm totally lost on what to do, because I feel like any traces of anorexia I may still have are using God to manipulate their way back into my life...should I adhere to this restrictive diet for a week, and then begin eating normally again, in order to honor the promise without engaging in serious self-harm? Help!!!

Thanks and God bless
Alison

[/quote]

I would advise you not only to talk to your priest (if you are Catholic) but also a therapist who can help you with your residual difficulties concerning your eating disorder.

If you risk becoming sick again, I don’t think that you are bound to adhere to your promise. Just try to get into a better habit. It’s like making a promise to God to steal someone’s purse. Obviously, you are not under obligation to follow the promise. However, just to be certain, mention the situation to your pastor while in Confession (If you go regularly like me. If you don’t, just talk to your priest after Mass).

You should contact your therapist and your pastor.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

For Help in Trials

Most holy apostle St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered your beloved Master into the hands of His enemies has caused you to be forgotten by many. But the Church honors and invokes you universally as the patron of hopeless cases–of things despaired of. Pray for me who feels so hopeless. Make use, I implore you, of that particular privilege accorded to you of bringing visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolations and succor of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, in particular (Unicyclops), and that I may bless God with you and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise you, O Blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to you.

Amen.

You should talk to a counselor about this. For the meanwhile, I would avoid making any promises to God that concern food/eating/fasting or anything of the like.

God wants MERCY, not arbitrary sacrifice. God loves it when we give Him our “small” everyday tasks with great love.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

For Help in Trials

Most holy apostle St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered your beloved Master into the hands of His enemies has caused you to be forgotten by many. But the Church honors and invokes you universally as the patron of hopeless cases–of things despaired of. Pray for me who feels so hopeless. Make use, I implore you, of that particular privilege accorded to you of bringing visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolations and succor of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, in particular (Unicyclops), and that I may bless God with you and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise you, O Blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to you.

Amen.

Since you have an eating disorder (even if it's dormant right now) I would not fast AT ALL without consulting a priest. You're wading into treacherous waters. There are plenty of ways to please God without fasting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.