Help? confirmation sponsor advice

A church going catholic who dissagrees with church teaching asked me to be his confirmation sponsor. What is my responisibilty to Him. Can I say yes in good conscience?
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[quote="evidence, post:1, topic:183939"]
A church going catholic who dissagrees with church teaching asked me to be his confirmation sponsor. What is my responisibilty to Him. Can I say yes in good conscience?

[/quote]

Perhaps the grace of the Sacrament and the gifts of Wisdom, Understanding, Knowledge, Right Judgement, Courage, Piety and Awe of the Lord which he will receive from this Sacrament will help him to clarify his thinking. :)

Meanwhile, yes, don't be afraid to be his sponsor, and to help him with his Catechism classes. (I assume he is taking some kind of Catechism classes, to prepare for his Confirmation.)

[quote="evidence, post:1, topic:183939"]

[/quote]

You can say yes but you should tell him up front, before I accept, you need to know I intend to fulfill my responsibility to you according to the laws of the Church, and I will speak only the truth to you, not what you want to hear. I represent the Church when I accept this role, so I cannot do otherwise. If when it comes time for Confirmation you tell me you do not intend to approach this sacrament humbly, to make the profession of faith willingly, and in a state of sanctifying grace, it will be my duty to inform the pastor of this fact and to refuse to stand up with you.

puzzleannie's response is a good one.

As a sponsor, you are testifying that the person is ready to be confirmed and you would have to be truthful about this.

Also, it may make a difference which church teachings he disagrees with and how this will impact his life as a Catholic. What is his attitude toward church authority? Does he say, "I don't agree and I won't obey." Is he open to learning more about the teachings he disagrees with so that he can understand and accept them?

I second Claire from DE's support of Puzzleannie's stance. Good answers.

Thanks! That helps a lot.
Does anyone know where I can find an explanation of the sponsor's responsibilties in church docs with regard to how one knows if someone is "ready" to be confirmed? The catechism only mentions it briefly.
Thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.