Help: Curse, Warning, Blessing or Attack?

So which is it? A warning from God, a blessing from God, or an attack by Satan?

Every time I have tried to return to the Catholic Church my family is immediately plagued with one crisis after the next. I’ve had faith struggles for years - this past few months have been the worst ever.

For those who don’t know me or don’t remember, I was formerly Catholic, but about 4 years ago I got on a Sola Scriptura trip and decided to join a Mennonite Church (well, technically didn’t join. Just joined the community, visited worship services, studied with them, etc…). Everything is well in our lives as a Mennonite. But a few times I’ve had doubts about what I’ve done and reconciled with the CC and returned to Mass. It never fails though. Every single time either some fluke thing happens to prevent me from going to Confession, or within just days of being reconciled something serious will happen to one of our family.

Years ago, I would have read something like this and said it’s just coincidence, but I’m telling you that this has been going on for a looooooong time and without fail e v e r y s i n g l e t i m e ! ! ! I have tried not to let these occurances pursuade my decisions, but now it’s starting to worry me. In the past, when I’d return to the Mennonites (not b/c of these occurances…), peace would return and stay for the most part. I mean, nothing is ever perfect, but everything seems “normal” at least. I’ve just returned to the CC again after about a 6 month lapse and I’ve also had a lot of trouble with my faith in general (I think a result of my studies with the Mennonites. But that’s another thread…). I am reconciled with the Church now, and have been going to Mass for 2 weeks, and here we are again with one crisis after the next.

It just can’t be coincidence. But I also don’t know what it means. Perhaps your Catholic p.o.v. will be that the guy downstairs wants to scare me back into the Mennonite church (would that really be such a victory for him???) or perhaps that God is giving me opportunites to grow closer to Him through these crises? Maybe the Mennonites would say God is trying to tell me what I did was wrong (coming back to the CC).

And I truly don’t know what to think. And I realize what youhave to offer may not be more than just some friendly advice or mere speculation.

Just hoping for a little insight, and maybe a few prayers.

Thanks~

Hi, when I was becoming Catholic I was spiritually attacked in various ways. Life certainly didn’t get easier… there were family problems too. But after a while this faded and there was peace (a lot of peace, in fact). I think this might be an attack… I’ve heard so many times of the devil trying to stop people from coming to the Sacraments. (I think the enemy doesn’t want anyone to believe in Christ at all, but if that’s not working, he’d try to at least get the person to leave the Church.) It can also be a test. Remember that this sort of thing can’t last. Try to pray as much as you can… and dont give up! God bless!!

This was funny… Well, sort of…

After posting this, our Halloween decoration decided to start its little demonic laugh w/out the door having been moved. Interesting… :wink:

Thanks, 4Ever. I know, it’s hard to tell I suppose. It’s encouraging to know that it does happen to other people and more likely is not from God, or at least, if it is, well, hopefully its b/c He’s happy with my decision. Hard to see challenges like this as a blessing, but I k now they can be.

And another interesting thing, that you were the first response to my post, b/c Therese of Lisieux and Gemma Galgani are my 2 very favorite saints! :thumbsup: That, in itself, is a special blessing tonight. :smiley:

Bless You~

I’d say that this is definitely an attack.

My family has also experienced these spiritual attacks. Often, before Mass, I find myself feeling hideously sick (either mentally, via bad anxiety attacks, or physically) and often can’t bring myself to go. One time, my mom couldn’t go to Mass because she felt abnormally cold. One day, my dad was going to go to Confession and it started to rain; my dad almost never goes anywhere in the rain. He did this time, and on the way to Church, he got into a car accident.

Do you pray the Rosary? It’s very helpful in these sorts of circumstances. Also, try asking the Holy Spirit to fill your family’s hearts with peace and joy. :slight_smile:

Hi Kera,

Yes, I used to be very devoted to the rosary. I hate to say it, but I have not been very attached to it over the past few years of doubt about the CC. HOWEVER - - - I have been very drawn to it at time. I often think of it as my lifeline to Heaven. Don’t think thats an original thing - maybe I learned it from some readint of Padre Pio or someone like that.

Yes - I have recently realized that it is more likely that Satan would attack the truth than that God would punish falling astray. Looking at past accounts of saints and such - I can’t say I see a lot of God pursuading people to do right by causing some evil to overcome them.

Anyway, will keep pressing on… We’ve had our share of blessings tonight. 2 family members are home safe and sound from the hospital tonight with minor problems (both problems are totally unrelated [at least, in the natural realm…]. When it hits the fan, it REALLY hits the fan!!)

God Speed!~

hey, have you ever read this?
theholyrosary.org/secret.html

(about the Rosary… it’s an excerpt from the book “Secret of the Rosary”…which is a great book cause it got me saying the prayer!! lol!)

if you feel doubts about the Church, just keep on praying the Rosary, because one of the people the enemy really fears is Our Lady. She protects us a lot when we call to her. She’s basically the opposite of the devil…they’re both creatures, but he’s proud and fallen, and she’s humble and ‘full of grace’…he hates her because she’s a human but was raised higher than the angels through God’s grace, in becoming His Mother. :thumbsup: we’re her children too and she loves us, and wants to help us persevere in faith and learn to love Jesus.

very cool! :smiley:

God bless you too :slight_smile:

Padre Pio is one of my favourite Saints :thumbsup: he’s so inspiring! and - what a life, wow!!

Yes - I have recently realized that it is more likely that Satan would attack the truth than that God would punish falling astray. Looking at past accounts of saints and such - I can’t say I see a lot of God pursuading people to do right by causing some evil to overcome them.

sometimes God does chastize people, like He chastized the Israelites in the OT…

BUT…from everything I’ve read about conversions to and from the Church, - whenever people leave the truth, God just speaks to them in the “still small voice” and they perhaps feel some uneasiness… but He respects their free will and choice. The times He uses chastisement is I THINK (just my opinion lol) when people already know the truth but don’t want to follow it. If someone chose to leave God, He will draw them back but in such a way that it’s still their choice if they want to return.

I actually had the same fears… while I was coming to the Church, I had this horrible experience where for around 10 minutes I felt completely sure that by becoming Catholic I’m going to hell. It was the worst 10 minutes of my life because my mind was under such attack I thought I was going mad. lol I hope that doesn’t make me sound mentally unstable or something… I’m actually a very stable person and that’s what makes it all the more convincing to me that this was from the devil and not merely psychological. It was very strong. And the cool thing is that when I put on my blessed Rosary, it went away and I felt peace again!! :slight_smile: later on, I was trying to figure out if this was God warning me, or the devil trying to scare me… and I decided it wasn’t from God because He doesn’t terrify people into believing the truth lol, He doesn’t scare anyone into anything… He just speaks to them and they choose what they want to do. Jesus didn’t scare the Apostles into following Him, He just said, “follow Me…”

Anyway, will keep pressing on… We’ve had our share of blessings tonight. 2 family members are home safe and sound from the hospital tonight with minor problems (both problems are totally unrelated [at least, in the natural realm…]. When it hits the fan, it REALLY hits the fan!!)

God Speed!~

prayers for you and your family :hug1:

say the St Michael prayer and the Hail Mary!!

God bless

It is a tribulation, and tribulations are given to us for our spiritual growth and well-being, so that we come closer to the crucified Lord. It’s a paradox. Trust in God; He gives us nothing that we cannot handle, even if we believe we aren’t strong enough or ready enough to handle it. Offer your tribulations to Him, so that He can use them to save souls.

Edit: Speak with a priest about your tribulations.

I’m wondering now, do you suppose something could be both an attack and a tribulation? as in… an attack that God permits for our spiritual growth? In any case, He can definitely use it :slight_smile:

Well, a tribulation is a trying experience, suffering from an oppressor. So yes, attacks are tribulations.

A good soldier who is promoted gets more time in action. :slight_smile:

Points of importance become greater conflicts.

I recommend time spent in Eucharistic Adoration as the solution for all ills. :slight_smile:

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!

No, I don’t think I’ve read that before. Thank you. I will pray the rosary. I realize the first part of the Hail Mary is straight from Scripture, and the second part is asking Mary to pray for us. I can’t for the life of me see what is wrong with asking for help from those in Heaven. The uneasiness I’ve had in the past about the Rosary is just some lingering Fundamentalist hangup. I might reason that as long as there were other things I believed to be wrong with Catholicism’s claims, I’d be better off leaving out even the Catholic things that make sense. That whole fear of deception thing. (I’m working on that…:thumbsup:)

He doesn’t terrify people into believing the truth lol, He doesn’t scare anyone into anything… He just speaks to them and they choose what they want to do. Jesus didn’t scare the Apostles into following Him, He just said, “follow Me…”

I agree. That was the impression I had as well. It makes far more sense for Satan to be trying to scare me out of doing the best thing.

prayers for you and your family

say the St Michael prayer and the Hail Mary!!

Thank you! :slight_smile: I didn’t think to say the St. Michael prayer. The family did say an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be together this morning. We’ll have to add that one to our devotions as well.

Eucharisted: It is a tribulation, and tribulations are given to us for our spiritual growth and well-being, so that we come closer to the crucified Lord. It’s a paradox. Trust in God; He gives us nothing that we cannot handle, even if we believe we aren’t strong enough or ready enough to handle it. Offer your tribulations to Him, so that He can use them to save souls.

Edit: Speak with a priest about your tribulations.

That’s probably a good idea. I will try to see one this weekend - I had hoped to go to Confession again anyway.

Shin: A good soldier who is promoted gets more time in action.

Points of importance become greater conflicts.

I recommend time spent in Eucharistic Adoration as the solution for all ills.

Let me tell you something: About a year before this 4 years of doubt, I was trying to promote Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration in my area. I was working to start a renewal of sorts, since Adoration was being discontinued everywhere in our city. Shortly after I began, I was warned by the priest that was helping me, as well as another woman I know, that I should expect to face some tribulation for the work I was attempting (wouldn’t Satan hate for Perpetual Adoration to work!). Not long after I was reading John 6 and could NOT, for the life of me, see the text as literal eating and drinking of Christ’s actual flesh and blood. I spoke to a priest about it and just kind of put my doubt on a shelf and continued working. Just a few weeks later my best friend told me she was leaving her husband and the husband kept coming around our home and calling me all the time. And according to her, he was dangerous. I was scared out of my mind. Then, we believe anyway (but can’t prove it) he abused one of our children. All of the stress of these events made me very ill. The diagnosis?: Celiac Spru disease. Can’t eat anything with wheat in it…including, of course, the Eucharist. (I wasn’t allowed to receive from the cup either. Long story…) And from there it just got worse and worse. I read more and more Scripture and more and more saw a Fundamentalist interpretation until I finally had to leave.

So, someone definately seemed busy to get me out of the Church, and he succeeded for a time. Funny, I never realized the extent of what happened and how obvious the answer to my original question was until I layed that all out. I’m not a big-picture kind of person :blush:

Will be praying very much, and thanks for your prayers as well!

Godspeed!

From “Divine Mercy In My Soul”:

Once when I saw how much my confessor was to suffer because of this work [spreading the devotion to the Divine Mercy] which God was going to carry out through him, fear seized me for the moment, and I said to the Lord, “Jesus, this is Your affair, so why are You acting this way toward him? It seems to me that You are making difficulties for him while at the same time ordering him to act.” **Write that by day and night My gaze is fixed upon him, and I permit these adversities in order to increase his merit. I do not reward for good results but for the patience and hardship undergone for My sake. **(86)

I am Love and Mercy itself. When a soul approaches Me with trust, I fill it with such an abundance of graces that it cannot contain them within itself, but radiates them to other souls. (1074)

The Lord visited me today and said, My daughter, do not be afraid of what will happen to you. I will give you nothing beyond your strength. You know the power of My grace; let that be enough. (1491)

Satan gained nothing by tempting you, because you did not enter into conversation with him. Continue to act in this way. You gave Me great glory by fighting so faithfully. Let it be confirmed and engraved on your heart that I am always with you, even if you don’t feel My presence at the time of battle. (1499)

Entrust everything to Me and do nothing on your own, and you will always have great freedom of spirit. No circumstances of events will be able to upset you. (1685)

If you wish to hear God speak, than read and reflect upon God’s Word, for there He speaks to man.

An inspiring reminder. I was on a retreat when Sr. Faustina was canonized. Grace was at work that weekend! Someone gave me her diary to read and I read it the following week. And that was the beginning of a very special time in my life as a Catholic. I’d give anything to have those days back. Well, maybe not afterall… God knows what’s best. Maybe those days were given to me to later serve as a reminder amidst the chaos I’d have to go through.

Whatever God wills :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.