Help defending our Faith

I go on a message board for a Christian singer I like and we were discussing the protestant Church that is allowing gays to get married. Needless to say they were upset about this and I used this opportunity to point out that this is why the Catholic Church is the one true Church. The Church will never waiver on faith and moral issues.

So someone threw the Spanish Inquistions thing in my face implying that the Church is evil because of that. Now I am not familiar about what the inquistions are or were but my first thought was to ask this person if he thinks the US is an evil country because it was once OK to own slaves. To me, trying to throw past sins into the frey is like saying the US is evil because we allowed slavery. But I wanted to have all the facts and maybe some better arguments to make before I posted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ask why there are numerous cases where people being tried in secular courts requested to be tried in ecclesiastic courts. If the Inquisition was so ruthless, why did they do this? I recently saw a book that revealed some new information on the inquisitions. I’ll try and get the name of it.

You may also want to ask why the Spanish Inquisition has more recognition then the Dutch/German purgings where thousands more Catholics were killed in a later time than the Spanish Inq. Or how many Irish Catholics were killed by the Church of England during the 1700-1800’s. Again, there were more, and it was more recently.

NotWorthy

The Spanish Inquisition-An Historical Revision by Henry Kamen??

Use this article! It’s very helpful:

nationalreview.com/comment/madden200406181026.asp

Tell them to read actual documents from the Spanish Inquisition. Like I said on another thread they are numerous and really shed some light on it. For the most part it was like a Grand Confessor for Catholics, any violence came from the state. I will look for links for you.

Peace be with you!

Read this article. It doesn’t go into much detail about specific incidents/trials during the Inquisition, but it gives a great overview of it. catholic.com/library/Inquisition.asp

And like the author of the article says, ask them what exactly the Inquisition is supposed to prove.

In Christ,
Rand

Didn’t JPII apologize for this?

[quote=NotWorthy]Ask why there are numerous cases where people being tried in secular courts requested to be tried in ecclesiastic courts. If the Inquisition was so ruthless, why did they do this? I recently saw a book that revealed some new information on the inquisitions. I’ll try and get the name of it.

You may also want to ask why the Spanish Inquisition has more recognition then the Dutch/German purgings where thousands more Catholics were killed in a later time than the Spanish Inq. Or how many Irish Catholics were killed by the Church of England during the 1700-1800’s. Again, there were more, and it was more recently.

NotWorthy
[/quote]

Don’t forget the burning of “wiches” in England by the Anglican church and Puritans and also in Germany by Protestants.
In Germany there were many Protestants who killed other Protestants and Catholics.

But what is worse and what is the point of bringing the Inquisition discussion by Protestants. And what is worse, Christians killing other Christians or Apostates in different parts of Europe.

And there were other “Inquisitions” by other Christians and the other genocides and murders in wars and so on.

Read the articles in the Catholic Anwers Library to answer this question about the Inquisition many centuries ago, by Protestants and other Christians and even secular people that are anti-Catholic.

Shalom!

Gavriel

Come on! Christians (Catholics and Protestants) must be thankful to Spanish Inquisitions. why? because if not with this inquisitions Christianity will not spread all over the world. I am thankful that my country was once under the Spanish Inquisitions because if not maybe our country will be one of the Islamic Centre in Asia.

This cite has good article on the Protestant Inquisition.

ic.net/~erasmus/RAZHOME.HTM

[quote=Petertherock]I go on a message board for a Christian singer I like and we were discussing the protestant Church that is allowing gays to get married. Needless to say they were upset about this and I used this opportunity to point out that this is why the Catholic Church is the one true Church. The Church will never waiver on faith and moral issues.

So someone threw the Spanish Inquistions thing in my face implying that the Church is evil because of that. Now I am not familiar about what the inquistions are or were but my first thought was to ask this person if he thinks the US is an evil country because it was once OK to own slaves. To me, trying to throw past sins into the frey is like saying the US is evil because we allowed slavery. But I wanted to have all the facts and maybe some better arguments to make before I posted.

Anyone have any ideas?
[/quote]

Their response, will unfortunate, was rather predictable. A way for you to contribute to that discussion in probably a more helpful way would have been to present the Catholic Church’s position on homosexuality and gay marriage - without saying “This is the position of the Church that is never wrong”

Doing that requires that a person understands clearly and in depth the Churches position on those things and I’ll admit that I don’t but I think it would be a more constructive approach. It would take a great deal more work on your part.

peace

-Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.