Help! Eucharist from Pope John Paul II Mass on sale on Ebay

I found this on the EWTN website–somebody is selling an actual Eucharist on Ebay. The item is located here:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6169851381

Father Echert recommended that we contact Ebay to protest the sales of Eucharist. What can we do so these abuses will not continue?:frowning:

Dominus Vobiscum

-Stephen

Yes,it is true and the Eucharist has been sold and that was the second today the first attempt by another person was stopped by e-mails and the person said she will take the Eucharist to a priest.The second thanks be to God is from the knights of Columbus and will eithe send the Eucharist to the Vatican,EWTN or a traditional parish he has not decided yet.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=49298&page=1&pp=100
This must NOT happen again.:mad:

Put any ideas for action to keep this from happening again here.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=49377

Wow. The consumer culture is now consuming the Church herself!

Unbelievable sacrilege… :frowning:

Welcome to the fruits of “Communion in the Hand”.

MJW

I wonder if the person who received what we believe to be Holy Communion was a believer? What if the person truly did not believe and accepted (took) communion with the intention of disposing of it through sale such as we have seen on Ebay? Perhaps Jesus knew his intention and did not enter the host so that we would not be in distress over this person’s actions. If this were so I would believe the person committed a grave sin through his intention but I believe Jesus would not have cooperated with such an action. Although he had evil intentions, I think he sold a wafer only.

Churches have been broken into with the intention of stealing the Holy Eucharist to be used in pagan worship or defilement of the Eucharist. We need to stand firm in the protection of Jesus. Write ebay demanding a stop to this. It must be done as Christians.

Defilement of communion can be done whether communion is distributed on the tongue or in the hand. If a person has ill intentions, it will be done. So don’t be so quick to declaim the reception of communion in the hand.

Welcome to the fruits of “Communion in the Hand”.

Uh, no. Welcome to the fruits of our secular heathen culture!

As P.T. Barnum said “There is one born every minute.” To offer such an item is sleazy to say the least. But then… Does the host come with a certificate of authenticity? Maybe one signed by Cardinal Sadono or Ratzinger?

This is also a wake up call to those who usher or are Eucharistic ministers to be watchful of folks who do not immediately consume the host upon reception.

I usher at Our Lady’s Shrine in DC and one of our duties is to make sure that the host is immediately consumed by the recipient. I’ve had 2 occasions where I had to ask the recipient to do this. One young person put it in his shirt pocket, another person held it is their hand until they got back to their seat.

There are all kinds of nutcases out there. What their purpose is unknown. Some are trying to get souvenirs. Personally, I think they should all be horsewhipped or shocked with a cattle prod. It is the ultimate in disrespect and irreverence. I’m not too keen on the folks who like to dip the host in the wine either (it is not an oreo cookie ! ) Just my opinion.

wc

[quote=PeterC]Perhaps Jesus knew his intention and did not enter the host . . .
[/quote]

The intention of any communicant has no effect on the validity of the consecration. Any consecrated host, even if used sacriligeously, remains the body and blood of Jesus.

[quote=JimG]The intention of any communicant has no effect on the validity of the consecration. Any consecrated host, even if used sacriligeously, remains the body and blood of Jesus.
[/quote]

Not to mention the fact the Jesus is EVERYWHERE and is defiled on a DAILY basis.
As for the hyper “traditionalist” opposition to Communion in the hand, if one was to do their homework, they would find that this was the custom for the first thousand years of the Church!!

“Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ” - St. Jerome

[quote=trth_skr]Welcome to the fruits of “Communion in the Hand”.

MJW
[/quote]

Sad, but 100% true…by their fruits they shall be known. Communion in the hand + Eucharist on Ebay= Rotten Fruit.

I hope the next Pope BANS communion in the hand.

Please dont let this turn into a Communion in the Hand debate…

How can we report this to Ebay and tell them what we think of this?

[quote=Exalt]Please dont let this turn into a Communion in the Hand debate…

How can we report this to Ebay and tell them what we think of this?
[/quote]

There is a thread called completely inapproipiate with e-bay e-mails:( I started a thread in the water cooler with other e-mails as well to put pressure on them.It is called “e-bay must be held responsible for the auction of the Eucharist”.I agree this should not turn into a mouth and hand debate.This could very well turn into a trend to auction our Lord and incourage thieves to still Him:crying:

I first read about this on the EWTN website. Here is Father Echert’s response:

HELP! Eucharist for Sale on Ebay
Question from maria on 04-11-2005:
Someone is selling a consecrated host on Ebay. What should I do about this Ebay listing: cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6169851381 I reported it but should I buy it so that Our Blessed Lord will not be desicrated? What should I do. HELP!

Answer by Fr. John Echert on 04-11-2005: DO NOT BUY IT! If this is true–I have heard it from multiple sources–then you and others so inclined should contact e-bay itself directly via e-mail and register your protest. Father Echert

To late the Eucharist has been bought by a member of the Knights of Columbus,who was afraid of desecration.He did an honorable thing,but now there is a market for our Lord in the Eucharist:crying: We have to make some noise about this or I fear people will steal the Eucharist to make money on e-bay:crying:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]To late the Eucharist has been bought by a member of the Knights of Columbus,who was afraid of desecration.He did an honorable thing,but now there is a market for our Lord in the Eucharist:crying: We have to make some noise about this or I fear people will steal the Eucharist to make money on e-bay:crying:
[/quote]

Exactly. Now we can expect a slew of unconsecrated hosts (so much easier to come by) posted as “Papal Souveneirs”. I don’t fault the person who bought it, but I think it was a big mistake.

I regularly buy on Ebay and I couldn’t find this at all! Where was it?

I think buying the Eucharist was the right and only thing to do. Sure its a catch 22, will it now promote more junk like this. But, bottom line, Our Lord was being held hostage for ransom, and maybe America isnt willing to negotiate and make deals for our Hostages, but God is above that. We needed to get him back regardless of what it breeds and we did. God bless those people who were willing to pay off that kidnapping terrorist. I can picture the Lord telling him, "well done, thou good and faithful servant, well done…thou hast treated me in the Blessed Sacrament like I have said I am…truly flesh and blood.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.