Help Evangelizing Mormons

Hi y’all,

So I have two Mormon friends who I talk with on a regular basis because I just am a person who loves to learn about other peoples belief systems and read other peoples holy books, etc., So I have been following their lead and reading the Book of Mormon, mainly for the fact that it is an interesting read and i want to know how to evangelize Mormon’s better based on their own trilogy of scriptures.

I want to know if y’all have any good tips or guides to help evangelize Mormons since everything I have argued against them with stuff from Catholic Answers or various apologetics books, has returned an answer of something regarding the testimony they received and they know it is true and they have faith without needing to see evidence, etc., etc., etc.,

I am interested into hearing anything that has been helpful with you in evangelizing Mormons especially if it involves using their own Scriptures as arguments against them, that would be helpful.

Thank you all and God bless!

Hello landon,

The significant sections within the BOM are the definition of priestcraft, Lehis dream and its interpretation, and the definition of gospel.  

“2 Nephi 26:29”: 29 He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.
They base there definition on getting gain and praise, while it should be on individuals setting themselves up as lights.

The dream is in 1st Nephi.  What is the mist?
 The gospel definition starts on 3 Nephi 27:13

The bold is why it is hard to evangelize Mormons.
They go by feelings, and reason doesnt matter.

Honest, reason does not matter when it comes up against a “testimony”.

For that reason, it does no good to evangelize practicing Mormons. It is better if they, knowing that you are Catholic, go to you when they have doubts. Lacking that, many Mormons, finding that a religion based on pure emotion and superstition is deeply flawed, leave the church, often becoming agnostic for a period of time. It is then that they are more approachable.

Otherwise, you will just go around in circles with them, and risk you own spiritual life. It is better to let them know by your fruits than engage in pointless arguments. Keep the conversation on mundane subjects, unless church-based activities are appropriate.

You will have to be very careful about who is evangelizing whom. At this point, they have you reading the Book of Mormon. That’s a pretty good indicator that you are not evangelizing them but they are evangelizing you. Stop reading the Book of Mormon. I suggest you read Catholic Church documents, the Catechism, Early Church Fathers, things like this will not damage your faith, they will strengthen it. Give up on trying to evangelize people like this and just grow strong in your own faith. Practice your own resistance against evangelization by false religions.

We are all called to evangelize others, and we must do so in a way that is comfortable and effective for each of us. I believe that ineffective evangelization is worthless and should not be attempted by most of us. Sometimes the people who need to be evangelized the most are ex-Catholics and even Catholics in the pews at Mass. Start at home and look around, see if anyone you know needs a stronger faith. Then evangelize them to your heart’s content!

As others have said, it is the “burning in the bosom” that seems to be everything. I will give you an example. As a prior student of mine (I was a youth minister at the time) was converting to the LDS church. I met with her, trying to dissuade her from making this decision. I asked if she would arrange a meeting between someone, other than pimply faced missionaries, from her Ward and the two of us. My intention was for her to hear the answers of knowledgeable Mormons when asked certain questions. I received a call from a missionary and we arranged a meeting.

When the day came, there were two missionaries and the local “bishop” who came to my door, however without my former student. I immediately told the bishop that the entire purpose of the meeting was to have her present so that she could hear both sides. He thought it better that she not be present and asked me what questions I had.

I told him that I had planned on asking him for evidence of the “Great Apostasy”, even one iota of historical evidence that would compel one to even consider this theory as plausible. His answer?“I don’t need history. I have the testimony of the Holy Spirit and of Joseph Smith”. My jaw dropped and I suddenly understood why he didn’t want my former student present.

The point is, it is very difficult to evangelize a people who refuse to consider any position contrary to their own regardless of the evidence presented. Objective truth is not a concept found in Mormon circles. All that matters is how you feel.

I echo what Marie and Jerusha said. A Mormon’s testimony is based on emotional experiences, not based on reason. They are evangelizing you. Don’t waste your time on the Book of Mormon to understand Mormonism. Their unique doctrines are not found in the BOM, but rather in the Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price.

I can tell you as a former Mormon, it is almost pointless to evangelize them in any direct way. They will not listen to reasoned arguments. The best is to be a kind and faithful Catholic and a friend so that if and when they have doubts in Mormonism, they will come to you.

Every Mormon who converts to Christianity, especially to the Catholic Church, is a walking miracle. I am still amazed that I made it home to the Catholic Church. No Catholic ever directly evangelized me. All the Catholics I ever knew were kind and not judging. It made an impression on me because, growing up in Texas, there were plenty of evangelical Christians who wouldn’t have anything to do with this shy Mormon girl. My experience with Catholics made it easier when I decided that I believe Jesus is Lord to walk into the local Catholic parish.

Yeah throw that book away…

Same here. I was not evangelized by Catholics, either. It wouldnt have worked since I was a former Mormon as well. For me it was the Holy Spirit working upon me.

Even then it would take time. From April '05 until April of '07. Becoming Catholic (or in my case, having been baptized Catholic as a baby, so completing the initiation rites) would take time. It would take healing. It would take a great deal of undoing the deep distortions I had that were due to my having be TBM.

I believe it takes a miracle, or a bunch of them, for a Mormon, or former Mormon to become Catholic. Nothing less.

Yup. Nothing good will come from reading the Book of Mormon. We Catholics are to view others in charity and learn our OWN faith. There’s plenty to study. We need the best tools in our toolbox when approached by seekers.

**I was a “practicing” Mormon for 22 years, and I was serious about the faith! However there is no danger of me going back to them! Once I got out from under my friends in the Church, and moved to the Bible Belt, it was easier to stand back and take a long hard look at their beliefs.

Believe me, once you begin to read the Bible in earnest, you can’t help but compare what Scripture says against what they believe. I won’t take you through the whole list but suffice it to say that they believe that the Bible is true, “insofar as it is translated correctly.” **Now, did you “hear” that?

Those who do all the right things enabling them to go to the Temple where they are baptized for others OR get married for time and all eternity! I had a friend who told me one time, that she would have the only bed in heaven, the other wives would only get chairs. I’m sorry but I had to laugh!

As to “bearing their testimony,” this is something that Mormons do often! And like anything repetitive, after a while they get to where it is second nature to just keep repeating it. Many have been coached when they were young to say the “right things.”

There are many fine Mormons out there as many are good people. Like the rest of us, who they are as people many times define who they are as Mormons. Their health laws [the Word of Wisdom], if they follow them, probably keep them in better health than some of us who drink too many caffeinated drinks and/or smoke too many cigarettes.

However, and you want to read this carefully; . . .they do not believe in the Trinity as we do! I have read through the following carefully & it is exactly as I was taught!

"Mormons believe the following about God: He has not always been the Supreme Being of the universe, but attained that status through righteous living and persistent effort. They believe God the Father has a “body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s.” Though abandoned by modern Mormon leaders, Brigham Young taught that Adam actually was God and the father of Jesus Christ.

Mormon leaders have taught that Jesus’ incarnation was the result of a physical relationship between God the Father and Mary. Mormons believe Jesus is a god, but that any human can also become a god. Mormonism teaches that salvation can be earned by a combination of faith and good works.

Mormons believe that there are different levels or kingdoms in the afterlife: the celestial kingdom, the terrestrial kingdom, the telestial kingdom, and outer darkness. Where mankind will end up depends on what they believe and do in this life."

Although Mormons are usually friendly, loving, and kind people, they are deceived by a false religion that distorts the nature of God, the Person of Jesus Christ, and the means of salvation.

gotquestions.org/Mormons.html

DesertSister62

The trouble with evangelizing Mormons and JW’s is that they have their own unique interpretation of holy scriptures. Pointing out the truth of Catholicism will not work with them. They have their own “truth”. The only thing that might get them thinking is to discredit Joseph Smith, and there is plenty of evidence and testimony that he was a fraud.

There’s been a lot of research lately on the plagiarism of the Book of Mormon from an earlier book called “The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain” Check this out: Cumorah (a hill in NY) and (angel) Moroni feature heavily in the Book of Mormon. Seems Smith may have acquired those names from the Comoro Islands off of Africa, which has a capital called Moroni. Seriously. That’s quite a coincidence.

This is the best tactic in my opinion. Here are sources:

exmormonfoundation.org/files/BookofMormon07.PDF

utlm.org/navonlineresources.htm

Comparison of BOM and “The Late War”: rickgrunder.com/parallels/mp193.pdf

20truths.info/mormon/plagiarism.html

askreality.com/hidden-in-plain-sight/

A Comparison of The Book of Mormon and The Late War Between the United States and Great Britain - wordtreefoundation.github.io/thelatewar/

Faith without reason is blind. Blind faith isn’t true faith. God is the author of reason and logic therefore any faith in God must also be reasonable and logical.

LDS read and use the Bible in correlation with their unique scriptures. One of the most difficult things for a LDS person is to read and understand the Bible without plugging Mormon definitions and beliefs into it. What is up, is down, and what is down, is up.

The Great Apostasy is its foundation and weakest point, from a Catholic view, from a Mormon view, a Great Apostasy is foundational and everything believed is built on that one idea.

The only way to evangelize Mormons is to present what you believe. Even then when you are being targeted for proselytization LDS will try to claim they believe the same as you. Don’t buy into it. There isn’t anything in Mormonism that is apostolic in origin.

Listen to this^^^^. Stay far away from this. They will pester you. Walk away.

The Johnson brothers are getting ready to run a second analysis using histories in scriptural style, which was a popular genre in that era. If Late War still ends up on top, we will know that their initial results were not due to chance. And, of course, that genre was influenced by Maccabees-- and many Protestants don’t know anything about that. My mother, who had played around with Mormonism before meeting Dad, called Maccabees something like “chloroform in print,” I forget the exact words.

Joseph Smith led his people to a disease-ridden swamp in Illinois. He thought they had a free ticket to Indian lands just across the river. Therefore, he was no prophet. People were dying in numbers that were far beyond normal, yet those without money were stuck there. Men deserted their families to go on missions-- thus preserving their own health.

Some here have said that it is pointless evangelizing Mormons. That’s simply not true, so don’t be discouraged. Many Mormons are unaware that thousands upon thousands are leaving the faith, and the number is growing every year. Why is this happening? The short answer is: the internet. Because of the easy availability of information on the internet, huge numbers of Mormons are finding out a lot of information about their history that they were never taught in Sunday school, seminary, institute, or in the missionary training center. This information is so damning that it causes many to really question their faith for the first time, because all their lives they’ve been fed a romanticized fairy tale version of church history that is simply untrue.

When they find out things like Joseph Smith had at least 33 wives, many of which were already married to other Mormon men at the time or were teenagers as young as 14, Mormons are confronted with some huge difficulties that their church leadership has been unable to adequately answer. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many problems with LDS history that is becoming more and more known by the membership via the internet that the church is quickly becoming overwhelmed and they are in big trouble. Another huge example is The Book of Abraham. Egyptologists have proven that Joseph Smith had no idea what he was doing when he “translated” the papyri scrolls. That entire book of their scripture is and out and out forgery.

25% of the Book of Mormon was plagiarized from an 1800’s edition of the King James Bible, mistakes included. 50% more of the book is borrowed from sources all found within Joseph Smith’s own environment whether it be books he owned or family stories or local events. The remaining 25% hasn’t been figured out yet.

Your LDS friends have most likely not been exposed to this information. If you give them a couple youtube videos to watch believe me that will get them to start asking some questions. Here are a couple really good ones from great sources. See if you can get them to watch these and have a discussion:

youtube.com/results?search_query=grant+palmer+aha+moments

youtube.com/watch?v=rn1iGvXU0dI

Yes, that is how many Mormons leave, but it cant be forced upon them. To many emotional defense mechanisms.

It’s probably more accurate to say ACTIVELY evangelizing Mormons is very difficult.
To go one on one with them in a scripture debate doesnt bear much fruit.

Grant Palmer in his talk said it takes 7 or 8 hits to get converts in, and that is also takes 7 or 8 hits to get them out. They do need to be exposed to this kind of information. It often seems like you’re getting nowhere, but the seeds get planted and will eventually lead somewhere.

It bears more fruit than you think. Mormons aren’t used to having discussions with people who know much about their faith, especially Catholics. So when they do meet someone who actually knows a thing or two, it makes a difference and plants a seed.

I remember reading a book entitled “Under the Banner of Heaven” by Jon Krakauer.
This was the first time I read anything about the history of the Mormon faith. wow.
just wow.
Sad the lies that have been told. :blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.