HELP! Father who Baptized me was suspended... Is it valid?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue and how to handle it.

I’m getting married in a Catholic Church soon and the father requested to see my baptism paperwork. I asked my parents and they didn’t have it.

Turns out, I was baptized by a Father John J. Keane of St. John the Baptist Chapel in Lawrence, who was suspended because he was a Traditionalist Roman Catholic and refused to stop doing the mass in Latin back in 1980.
(summary here angelusonline.org/index.php?section=articles&subsection=show_article&article_id=387 )

I was baptized in 1986.

So my first question is was my baptism valid? And I was baptized once, so if it was not valid, what should my next steps be?

I received communion, but was not confirmed and attend church regularly now.

Lastly, because Father Keane was suspended his church wasn’t part of the “network”. St. John the Baptist Chapel in Lawrence has since been demolished with no way of tracking down the baptism paperwork.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dear friend,

You were validly baptized. The validity of sacraments does not depend on the state of soul nor the diocesan standing of the priest who administered them.

I suggest that you check with the diocese. When a parish is suppressed, the diocese usually takes over its records.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.