Help finding a book please

My brother wanted to argue yesterday that the Catholic Church would not let anyone touch the Bible and when Luther broke away he mass produced it. My husband and I had a good book on the Bible some time back and can’t find it. Could some one lead us to some books on the bible dealing with my brothers arguement please.

[quote=Namid]My brother wanted to argue yesterday that the Catholic Church would not let anyone touch the Bible and when Luther broke away he mass produced it. My husband and I had a good book on the Bible some time back and can’t find it. Could some one lead us to some books on the bible dealing with my brothers arguement please.
[/quote]

This is the book you want: Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church by Bishop Henry G. Graham. It’s easy to read and filled with useful information that will help you answer this question and others like it about the Bible. Why not buy 2 copies and give one to your brother, if you think he’d read it. :wink:

I’ll second what Della recommended.

Just to give a few quick rebuttals: it is true that, prior to the printing press, Bibles were very, very valuable and not easy to come by. This is because they were hand-lettered and often beautifully illuminated to boot. It is indeed true that in some cases Bibles were chained to the pulpit, but that was so they wouldn’t be stolen.

There was no way to mass produce any written material before the invention of the printing press. To accuse the Catholic Church of not mass producing the Bible prior to the invention of the printing press would be like accusing the generals of the Civil War of ineptitude for not using smart bombs delivered by fighter jets.

Usually with this accusation comes the assertion that it was the brave Protestants who translated the Bible into the vernacular. Not so— full or partial verancular translations had been done in most languages prior to the Deformation (whoops, I mean, Reformation).

I think this is the book we use to have its been a while since I have seen it but that looks like the cover.The only way my brother is going to believe it is if he reads it. I could quote it all day but I’m just the baby sis . :rolleyes: .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.