Help finding an early Church Saint

Could someone help me find this person, I dont know if he was cannonized but I heard he was very influential. Here are some points about him:

From the early church
In the Palestine area, maybe a country near there
Did not die a martyr
Taught there were scriptures you werent supposed to read (was very influential in this way)
Was a big public speaker, probably a big following
Dating around 200-300 plus or minus

[quote=Rasputin]Could someone help me find this person, I dont know if he was cannonized but I heard he was very influential. Here are some points about him:

From the early church
Did not die a martyr
Taught there were scriptures you werent supposed to read (was very influential in this way)
[/quote]

No name?

[quote=Rasputin]Could someone help me find this person, I dont know if he was cannonized but I heard he was very influential. Here are some points about him:

From the early church
Did not die a martyr
[/quote]

:confused: A saint who taught there were Scriptures you weren’t supposed to read?

From the early church
Did not die a martyr
[/quote]

I think you are confused. There is no Saint of the Catholic Church, especially not a Church Father that taught there were Scriptures you weren’t supposed to read. There are however books which purport to be Scripture which were written by Gnostic sects which separated themselves (or were never a part of) the Catholic Church in an order to convince their followers. These so-called ‘gospels’ (the apocryphal gospels) were written about 200-300 years after the death of Jesus and have no connection to the Apostles. The Da Vinci Code claims that the Catholic Church covered up the ‘truth’ of Jesus, that He really married Mary Magdalene (based on a sloppy interpretation of Scripture, Gnostic texts and Leonardo Da Vinci’s painting of the Last Supper), that’s the only thing I could think of which could confuse someone into thinking this. Many claim that they were written by the Apostles but were not. There are only 4 authentic gospels, and those are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Please also see: catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp

God Bless,

Im looking for the name, and if you know the history of the early church, like the person above me said, there were scriptures out there you weren’t supposed to read. He was a major public speaker and had people going home and burning their scriptures that werent the 4 ghospels.

Some more info about him:
In the one picture I saw of him he had one of those square things filled with squares around his neck that the jews used to wear.

If someone can help me find this person it would be greatly appreciated.

I thought maybe you were talking about Origen, since he adopted the Jewish view that young men should not read the Song of Songs (since they wouldn’t understand the spiritual meaning and it would just inflame lust).

Many of the early Christians fulminated against apocryphal Gospels, etc., which often had heretical content. That’s not a very helpful clue. Irenaeus was the first to insist on a four-Gospel canon, as far as I know, but he was active in Gaul, not Palestine.

Perhaps you are in fact thinking of Origen. He was condemned as a heretic at II Constantinople (long after his death, giving him no opportunity to recant!) and has not in fact been canonized.

Edwin

Hmmm. Well, considering that the canon of Scripture was not codified until the FOURTH century, what “scripture” was the man telling people not to read?

Remember, there had been changes to Jewish scripture in the 2nd century A.D. or so. Also, there were various gnostic “scriptures” and also various works purporting to be that of Peter, John, Paul. . .as well as Thomas. . .

NT writings (Paul’s letters) are being referred to as “Scripture” as early as 2 Peter–within the NT itself. Irenaeus clearly has a four-Gospel canon.

The precise boundaries of the NT canon weren’t defined till the fourth century. But that doesn’t mean that there was no NT “Scripture.”

Edwin

The greater Palestine area, I actually mean not europe by that. Im not quite sure how close to Palestine he was.

I looked at pictures of Origen and Irenaeus and Im pretty sure theyre not him.

He has a more normal sounding name like Johnathan James Thomas Steven…

The scriptures were Gnostic and other scriptures like that, Im sure he was talking about alot of scriptures. Not the 4 ghospels though.

Well, you have me there.

Edwin

[quote=Rasputin]Im looking for the name, and if you know the history of the early church, like the person above me said, there were scriptures out there you weren’t supposed to read. He was a major public speaker and had people going home and burning their scriptures that werent the 4 ghospels.

Some more info about him:
In the one picture I saw of him he had one of those square things filled with squares around his neck that the jews used to wear.

If someone can help me find this person it would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

It was NOT Scripture that you weren’t supposed to read. Please stop saying that. Uninspired books, are not scripture.

Catholics are already accused of forbidding lay people to read the Bible, by continuing to say that there was a saint who said there was Scripture, (Scripture means the inspired word of God) that you shouldn’t read then you are simply continuing the misconception, however inadvertently.

Call it fake scripture, uninspired books, but please, stop calling it scripture.

Have you checked this site PATRON SAINT TOPICS? It lists saint not only by name but by topic. You may be able to find it there.

I pray you will be able to find what you are looking for.

God Bless,
Maria

If people were misled by the word they werent reading correctly, because I was pretty clear about what I meant.

This guy was big during his time period, I guess very influential. Ive tried that website and havent been able to find anything.

First, sorry that site is no help.

Second,

originally posted by Rasputin
If people were misled by the word they werent reading correctly, because I was pretty clear about what I meant.

This guy was big during his time period, I guess very influential. Ive tried that website and havent been able to find anything.

Okay, lets look at what you wrote.

originally posted by Rasputin

Im looking for the name, and if you know the history of the early church, like the person above me said, there were scriptures out there you weren’t supposed to read. He was a major public speaker and had people going home and burning their scriptures that werent the 4 ghospels.

So he told people to burn Ephesians since that is not one of the 4 Gospels? 1Corinthians? Maybe Hebrews? Which Scripture that was not one of the 4 Gospels did he tell people to not read but burn?

The 4 Gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, are only 4 books that help comprise the scripture of the Bible. 46 in the OT, 27 in the New.

Or did he tell people to burn Maccabbes since all protestants know that is not really scripture?

So no, your post was not clear. We can guess what you mean. But your post was not clear.

God Bless,
Maria

St. Alexander of Alexandria? Would he fit this profile? Does anyone know any websites that have alot of pictures of saints, I cant find very many pictures of him anywhere.

[quote=Rasputin]St. Alexander of Alexandria? Would he fit this profile? Does anyone know any websites that have alot of pictures of saints, I cant find very many pictures of him anywhere.
[/quote]

That’s Saint Alexander of Alexandria

Here’s his successor in the See of Alexandria, Athanasius

Does this help?

I cant tell if thats him from those pictures, I think if I see the same picture or hear the story Ill know its him.

St. John Chrysostom, perhaps, patron of public speakers?

http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintj25.jpg

More pictures of him are here

I’m confused, what do you mean ‘gnostic scriptures’? Thereis no such thing. The only scriptures are those found in the bible. Gnostic writings are not and never where ‘scriptures’.

Actually the only scriptures are not found only in the bible, what about the scriptures of Abraham, or other lost scriptures.

Really why waste my time and the peoples time reading this thread on a mis-wording. I think its a common mistake even in society, people hear scriptures and think of old writings.

[quote=Rasputin]Actually the only scriptures are not found only in the bible, what about the scriptures of Abraham, or other lost scriptures.

Really why waste my time and the peoples time reading this thread on a mis-wording. I think its a common mistake even in society, people hear scriptures and think of old writings.
[/quote]

People* may* hear scripture and think old writings. Christians hear scripture and think that which is the inspired word of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.