Help Finding Biblical Support

Good evening everyone, presuming that it’s night time where ever you guys are, I wanted to inquire about getting some help finding some passages to help support these two teachings of the Church:

1. There are venial and mortal sins; there are different degrees of sins.
  2. That the second commandment encompasses Mother Mary, the saints, or anything sacred.

I ask about the first one because I anticipate being presented a question like that, if ever I have to defend the validity of the sacrament of reconciliation. The second one is just a personal question of mine. Overall, I’d just like to be ready to give an answer to both topics if the conversation ever comes up.

Thanks and God bless

For venial and mortal sin:
“He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask. All iniquity is sin. And there is a sin unto death.”
(1 John 5:16-17)

As for you second point, I would suggest the book of Lamentations because it makes clear exactly what is meant by the second commandment, ie. that statues and such are prohibited if you think they are actually gods that have power on their own, or you submit to them instead of God.

Gethsemane is talking about blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

There’s another scripture where Jesus says that one sin is greater than another but I don’t have time to look it up right now. This, BTW, is the only biblical saying. The NT letters do not confirm this. You might have some difficulty with this… You might want to use the CCC instead.

Regarding 2. Gethsemane is right.

Lata, unless you get the answer before.

Fran

Okay.

This is regarding your second question:

1. What are we commanded by the second commandment?

By the second commandment we are commanded always to speak with reverence of God, of the saints, and of holy things, and to be truthful in taking oaths and faithful to them and to our vows.

Blessed be the name of the Lord both now and forever. From the rising of the sun unto its going down, may the name of the Lord be praised. (Psalm 112:2-3)

1. What is meant by taking God’s name in vain?

By taking God’s name in vain is meant that the name of God or the holy name of Jesus Christ is used without reverence; for example, to express surprise or anger.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regarding the first question as to the gradations of sin:

Try John 19:11

“He who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.”

Fran

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.