Help Finding out about Saints

Hey All! :slight_smile:

As a soon-to-be-Catholic (starting RCIA next week), I’m starting to look for more information about individual Saints. I feel like in many ways I’m solidly Catholic (in thought, etc.) so I’m just waiting for the completion of RCIA and my initiation into the Sacraments! BUT I feel like I don’t know as much about our beloved Older Brothers and Sisters in the Faith as I want to (besides… I’ll have to pick a confirmation name :wink: )

Are there good (preferrably free) resources to learn lots about the saints? Do any of you have any suggestions for a saint for a soon-to-be doctor? (and I’m female… are there any female patron saints of doctors?) Any other suggestions about how to go about finding a patron saint or two?

Thanks!

The Roman Martyrology is a list of saints commemorated each day in the Roman rite. You can find it here:

breviary.net/martyrology/martcal.htm

She is not Catholic, nor a physician, but St. Elizabeth, the New-Martyred Abbess of Moscow started the Martha-Mary Convent of Mercy, dedicated to home health care among the poor (among other good works). She was a nurse, and provided care for many.

She was the elder sister of the last Tsartisa, St. Alexandra.

Raphaella, perhaps?

The Archangel Raphael’s name means “God heals.”

St. Raphael is one of seven Archangels who stand before God’s throne. He was sent by God to help Tobit, Tobiah and Sarah. He is given credit for healing Sarah’s disturbed life. Tobiah gave Raphael credit for his father’s seeing the light and for receiving all benefits through his intercession. Only Raphael, Michael and Gabriel are specifically named in the bible.

Raphael’s identity as healer emerged because of the biblical story which claims that he “healed” the earth when it was defiled by the sin of the fallen angels in the apocryphal book of Enoch. Raphael is identified as the angel who moved the waters of the healing pool. He is patron of the blind, of happy meetings, nurses, physicians and travelers. His feast day is September 29th.

Welcome in your desire to become Catholic. May God bless your life, and your ministry as doctor always :slight_smile: Trishie

Congrats on starting RCIA!! :extrahappy:

Here is a great resource I use a lot:

catholic-forum.com/saints/patronnf.htm

You can search for saints alphabetically by name, by topic (patronage), or by calendar/feast day.

Best wishes for your RCIA experience and congrats again! :smiley:

I also like Catholic.org for their section on saints. And welcome to RCIA!! That makes me… http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sHa_runaround.gif

I’m in the same boat you are. =)

I asked a similar question not long ago. I read the James Martin book which was recommended by several people, and loved it. I’m working my way through Butler’s ‘Lives of the Saints’ now.

Great to hear you’re joining the Church! :smiley: I love talking to (or just hearing from) people like you :).

¡Welcome Home!:clapping::grouphug::extrahappy:

St Catherine of Sienne and St Therese of Avila are both Doctors of the Church, because of their knowledge and the importance and extension of their teachings.
Or were your reffering to medical doctor?:stuck_out_tongue:

Alma

Thanks to everyone for your help, prayers, etc. :slight_smile: I subscribed to the daily saint newsletter from catholic.org. I’m looking forward to learning little bits about the saints that way. The other websites are also helpful.

I wish Mother Theresa were a saint… I’d probably choose her (esp. for her care for the dying. I’m interested in pediatric hematology (blood) and oncology (cancer) and particularly interested in caring for dying children).

I would like to get the books suggested, but at the moment money is a bit tight between my fiance and I. Hopefully someday soon we’ll be able to work it all out.

To Alma - thanks :slight_smile: But I am looking for medical doctors :wink:

So here’s a random question… for my confirmation name, would it be acceptable to feminize a male saint’s name? How might you feminize St. Luke, Sts. Cosmas and Damian, or St. Pantaleon?

And another rather random question… If a layperson is canonized as a saint after their death, are they known by their given name or confirmation name?

So I asked my deacon yesterday and he said, no, you can’t feminize the name. But he also suggested St. Gianna Beretta Molla. She seems really cool AND she was a physician! (surgeon to be exact). :slight_smile:

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20040516_beretta-molla_en.html

To add to the many fine suggestions … here is a website I use that has saints alphabitized as well as by the calendar day and patronages … americancatholic.org/default.asp*

I use it quite often as it is connected to an religious e card website I use daily.

And welcome to the family [or almost welcome dr piano]

Most canonized saints will end up using their given name unless they were in the religous life in which case if their community adopted a name… they would use that one??

One more thing you may be able to do is to see if your parish has a lending library? Many times there will be a book of saints which though it may be a bit outdated it would give you a start??? also if you can obtain a catholic calendar as well as finding names in your daily missal [in the church… each day many times will list alternate feasts or memorials …to celebrate]… anyway if you goodle the names listed in addition to looking at the websites posted by so many here?? you will be well on your way to learning about the many saints of the church.

blessings on your journey and keep posting any questions you may have?? We get very excited to be able to share with new catholics to be…:angel1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.