Help for a friend

An old friend has entered into an especially rough time, and I’m hoping someone may be able to offer some advice. She’s been married for eight years, but her husband left the family some months ago to live with a colleague with whom he’d become romantically involved. Complicating the situation is that they had their first child less than a year ago. My friend and her daughter have had to move back in with her parents. She is going to divorce him, and has told me the enormity of what he’s done continues to catch her off guard in the few quiet moments she has. In essence, this is so new and raw that she’s not yet overcome the initial shock.

How can I help her? What can I offer, in addition to prayers and a willingness to listen? Are there resources that may help? A particularly relevant book? A special devotion? She is a practicing Catholic. Thank you very much for your comments.

I don’t have any great advice, but I’ll say a prayer for her and for you as you try to help her. I would suggest that she speak with her priest – he will probably be able to help guide her.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.