Help for a suicidal family member

My family just found out this morning that my sister (16) is suicidal. I was hoping someone could recommend some kind of therapist or program in the DFW area that would help her. Thanks for any advice and prayers.

I don’t know anything specific to your area, but I think if you go to www.suicide.org they give you info. on what to do, who to contact, etc.

Your sister, and entire family, are in my prayers. I’ve had quite a few friends and acquaintances commit suicide, including one of my very dearest friends, who died two years ago next Thursday. It was one of THE absolute worst things I have ever experienced in my life, and it changed me forever. Again, my prayers are with you and your family.

I don’t know about what kind of programs there are in Dallas. Has she went to a doctor? Has she spoken with a counslor?? I had a rough break-up in 05 and hit rock bottom and was very very depressed. It sucks to feel like there is no hope left. I can understand why people have those sucidial thoughts. I’ll keep your sister in my prayers. Just advice from someone who has walked down that road…It drove me nuts when everyone started to treat me differently. It felt like I had some disease and everyone was worried they would catch it. Just make sure she knows she can talk to you anytime and she can tell you anything and you won’t judge her about it. I was so embarrassed to talk about what I was feeling to anyone. Now I know that other people have and are going through the same things so I now talk. If I can tell what happened to me and it helps 1 person than all the pain I went through was worth it. PM me if you need to know anything. I’ll be available to help you out since I’ve been there!!

No medical advice here - mods caution on that but

Lots of support and prayers headed your way and for the whole family.

There must be many programs in the greater DFW area, do your searches, check with your parish or diocese to see if any are church related or sponsored. Good luck and God Bless your sister.

Another link to check out would be Catholic Therapist and check to see if there is one in your area.

Be sure to contact your priest.

I will keep you in my prayers!

Solicitation or offering of advice as to the diagnosis of disease, the effectiveness of medications, or the efficacy of various therapeutic interventions, modalities, and regimens is not permitted on the forums. While generally well-intentioned, it can have potentially serious reprecussions.

Whether the matter at issue involves recognized, experimental, or unproven therapeutic modalities, matters relative to diagnosis and treatment of both physical and emotional disorders are very individualized and cannot be safely generalized to a description on the internet of an individual’s symptoms, circumstances, or situation. Additionally, there is a clear-cut risk involved in accepting, relying, or acting on the expressed opinions of those who either lack relevant professional qualifications and credentials, or whose claims to such cannot be validated. Similarly, the experience or response of others in what appears to be a similar or identical set of circumstances is not an accurate measure of its applicability to someone else’s situation.

Effectively monitoring such threads is neither practical nor realistic. Tolerating them could cause a poster, relying on proferred advice, to take steps that might mitigate symptomatology, rather than seek out a diagnostician and validate the presence or absence of treatable pathology. That risk is both legally and morally unacceptable.

Persons in need of medical or psychiatric advice are advised to consult their primary care provider, or another reputable practitioner in the appropriate specialty, and work with them to establish a diagnosis and plan of treatment.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.