I’ve been asked to give a tour of our church to the high school confirmation class.
Has anyone done that? Suggestions on what to cover?
Here are some of my ideas:
Our Church Specifics:
- When it was built
- physical changes made after Vatican II
- Various disasters that damaged the church
Entering a church:
- Genuflecting, why we do it
- No hats, why.
- No gum, why.
- Oil of Chrism
- Oil of the sick
- Oil of catechumens
- why it’s at the front door
- Jesus’ presence
- The significance of the lit candle
Paintings of the saints on the ceiling, Stained Glass Windows, Statues:
- Inspiration, we not to worship saints
- Differences with protestant churches
Stations of the Cross:
- Origins (Jerusalem Pilgrimages)
Altar Area Furniture:
- Altar - contains relic of a saint
- Presider’s Chair
Thurible and incense boat
Any other ideas?