Help! how do i answer to this "devout catholic"

Hola compadres: I do need help now because of this: the husband of the sister of my wife is catholic but he is tooo fanatic (in Mexico we call fanatics not just to fans of actors or singers, but to anyone who is just too exagereted about something), since i met him 9 years ago he’s been telling everyone “the next pope will be the anti-pope, who will make way for the antichrist”(SO ACORDING TO HIM BENEDICT XVI)

he backs this claim on suposedly apparitions of Our Lady, he said he knows the “real 3rd secret of fatima” that talks about this (the anti-pope),

a little background on this fellow:
He is obsessed with the devil, he has posses him.(he says that)
He break up with my wife’s sister because the bible tells him.
He returns with her because the bible tells him.
3 of his 4 sons have said to me: “disgusting demon” or "you are the devil"
According to him, there is a masonic temple inside the vatican.
and a lott more

PLEASE HOW CAN I MAKE THIS GUY UNDERSTAND, IAM REALLY IN NEED OF SOMETHING TO REFUTE HIS ATTACKS AGAINST B.XVI

This man doesn’t sound like a “devout Catholic” at all… :frowning:

You should answer him by asking him a question. Ask him how he knows what the “real 3rd secret of Fatima” is. Ask him why he believes there is a Masonic Temple within the Vatican. Ask him where in the Bible is he instructed to break up and return to his wife.

hey rich:

he backs all of his claims because of marian apparitions, did you know some site that tells a list of apparitions and wheder they are in study, approved or disaproved???,
and yes he is a catholic, but a weird one he and his sons wear around there necks, a cross, a rosary, the miracolous medal, the brown scapular and a green one, and the holy spirit, can you belive it. (i have 1000s of this stories about him)

[quote=miguel delgado]Hola compadres: I do need help now because of this: the husband of the sister of my wife is catholic but he is tooo fanatic (in Mexico we call fanatics not just to fans of actors or singers, but to anyone who is just too exagereted about something), since i met him 9 years ago he’s been telling everyone “the next pope will be the anti-pope, who will make way for the antichrist”(SO ACORDING TO HIM BENEDICT XVI)

he backs this claim on suposedly apparitions of Our Lady, he said he knows the “real 3rd secret of fatima” that talks about this (the anti-pope),

a little background on this fellow:
He is obsessed with the devil, he has posses him.(he says that)
He break up with my wife’s sister because the bible tells him.
He returns with her because the bible tells him.
3 of his 4 sons have said to me: “disgusting demon” or "you are the devil"
According to him, there is a masonic temple inside the vatican.
and a lott more

PLEASE HOW CAN I MAKE THIS GUY UNDERSTAND, IAM REALLY IN NEED OF SOMETHING TO REFUTE HIS ATTACKS AGAINST B.XVI
[/quote]

Unfortunately you can’t really argue with a conspiracy-theorist–they will just think you are an unwitting part of the conspiracy. Understand that someone like this is playing in an incredibly tiny sandbox universe. The worst thing you can do is get in it with him by arguing about it. There is an excellent chapter in Chesterton’s Orthodoxy on this. ( I think it is the chapter titled “the maniac”)

The only thing you can really do is pray for him, and make sure he does not spread this to other, less informed Catholics.

Scott

I tend to agree. You can find tons of material to give him that refutes these beliefs, but if he isn’t open to it, there’s not much else you can do but pray for him. Your wife’s brother-in-law may have some kind of mental instability as well if he is this obsessive and builds his beliefs upon conspiracy theories.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.