Help! I don't know what this is

My mom (who is very, very sick) is a devout Christian (Protestant, Baptist). She is very sick though, and does a lot of things to try and get better. I pray for her a lot.

She came to me tonight and asked me to do “Healing codes” for her, and it seems a little odd to me, although I’m not sure if it is bad. You just pray

“I pray that all known and unknown negative images, unhealthy beliefs, destructive cellular memories, and all physical issues related to ALS would be found, opened and healed by filling me with the light, life, and love of God/ I also pray that the effectiveness of this healing be increased by 100 times or more”

You then do the “code” by placing your hands in different areas around your head; the bridge of nose, the adam’s apple, the jaws, and the temples. Doing the “code” means concentrating on a “Truth focus statement”. You cycle through all four areas several times, trying to last at least 6 minutes, and you do it three times a day. If you are not the ill person, you do the same thing, but change the prayer to:

“I pray that all known and unknown negative images, unhealthy beliefs, destructive cellular memories, and all physical issues related to ALS would be found, opened and healed by filling mom’s name with the light, life, and love of God/ I also pray that the effectiveness of this healing be increased by 100 times or more”

And then at the end say:

“I release the full effects of this healing to mom’s name in love”

This is all from a book called "Your 6-minute ‘Universal Healing Code’". It doesn’t seem wrong, per se, but I’m not sure about it. Is it okay for me to say that for her? She is expecting me to do it and I am just scared it could be something really out there and I’m just missing it.

It sounds suspicious to me. Everything I can find on it speaks of junk science and scams to take advantage of the sick. Any ‘effect’ is might have sounds like a textbook placebo effect. At the very least it sounds superstitious and I wouldn’t personally say them.

Sounds like chakra, new age stuff…I wouldn’t go near it.

I agree with the other posters.

We do not need to do various “things” such as you described.

Pray to Our Lord Jesus Christ, ask the intercession of our Blessed Mother and your favorite saints. Sometimes there is healing, and sometimes there is not. If healing is not granted remember that the greatest “healing” is growing in wisdom and holiness, allowing the Lord to sanctify us.

Do not allow yourself to be drawn into superstitious type prayers that draw on a “universal power.” They will cause problems for us instead.

[quote=Dorothy]Pray to Our Lord Jesus Christ, ask the intercession of our Blessed Mother and your favorite saints. Sometimes there is healing, and sometimes there is not. If healing is not granted remember that the greatest “healing” is growing in wisdom and holiness, allowing the Lord to sanctify us.
[/quote]

I second this!

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with my Priest about it, he said what I was thinking already. Probably nothing bad about it, but it is superstitious and not necessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.