Help!! I need a Scripture verse!!

Hi,

My neighbor’s 34 year old son passed away and I want to write Scripture in the card but I cant seem to find one that fits. I figured someone on here could give me an appropriate verse.

Thank you and God Bless

Verse 4 and/or verse 6 of Psalm 23 seem very appropriate, under the circumstances.

Or you could use the whole Psalm.

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

**6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Here is a prayer for union with God:

Psalm 84: 2-4; 11-13

"How lovely your dwelling, O LORD of hosts!
My soul yearns and pines for the courts of the LORD. My heart and flesh cry out for the living God.
As the sparrow finds a home and the swallow a nest to settle her young, My home is by your altars, LORD of hosts, my king and my God!

Better one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. Better the threshold of the house of my God than a home in the tents of the wicked.
For a sun and shield is the LORD God, bestowing all grace and glory. The LORD withholds no good thing from those who walk without reproach.
O LORD of hosts, happy are those who trust in you!"

Since it was their young son who died, maybe also verse 14 from Mark Chapter 10 would be appropriate:

“Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”

Or:

.2Ti 1:6 Hence I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; 2Ti 1:7 for God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power and love and self-control. 2Ti 1:8 Do not be ashamed then of testifying to our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel in the power of God, 2Ti 1:9 who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not in virtue of our works but in virtue of his own purpose and the grace which he gave us in Christ Jesus ages ago, 2Ti 1:10 and now has manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel

There is always 1 Corinthians 15

These short texts are from the back of my handbook of prayers in the section of prayers at the time of death:

Romans 8:35 Who can separate us from the love of Christ?
Romans 14:8 Whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s
2 Corinthians 5:1 We have an everlasting home in heaven
1 Thessalonians 4:17 We shall be with the Lord forever.
1 John 3:2 We shall see God as He really is.
1John 3:14 We have passed from death to life because we love each other.
Psalm 25:1 To you, Lord, I lift up my soul.
Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation.
Psalm 27:13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Psalm 42:2 My soul thirsts for the living God.
John 14:2 “In my Father’s home there are many dwelling places,” says the Lord Jesus.
Matthew 25:33 “Come, blessed of my Father,” says the Lord Jesus, "and take possesion of the kingdom prepared for you."
Luke 25:43 The Lord Jesus says, "Today you will be with me in paradise."
John 14:2-3 The Lord Jesus says, “I go to prepare a place for you, and I will come again to take you to myself.“
John 17:24 I desire that where I am, they also may be with me,” says the Lord Jesus.
John 6:40 Everyone who believes in the Son has eternal life” says the Lord Jesus.
Psalm 31:5 Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit.
Acts 7:59 Lord Jesus, receive my spirit

If these haven’t already been submitted:

For the Lord has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from the child but has listened to the cry for help. Ps 22:24 [NIV]

As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you. Is 66:13

The Lord heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Ps147:3

Matthew 5:4 “How happy are those who know what sorrow means, for they will be given courage and comfort!”

ALL FOR HIM:

From the Book of Wisdom:

*But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction.

But they are in peace. For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality; Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself. As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.

In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble; They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever. Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

Wisdom 3:1-9 NAB*
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PLK.HTM

Again from the Book of Wisdom:

*But the just man, though he die early, shall be at rest. For the age that is honorable comes not with the passing of time, nor can it be measured in terms of years. Rather, understanding is the hoary crown for men, and an unsullied life, the attainment of old age.

He who pleased God was loved; he who lived among sinners was transported - Snatched away, lest wickedness pervert his mind or deceit beguile his soul; For the witchery of paltry things obscures what is right and the whirl of desire transforms the innocent mind.

Having become perfect in a short while, he reached the fullness of a long career; for his soul was pleasing to the LORD, therefore he sped him out of the midst of wickedness. But the people saw and did not understand, nor did they take this into account.

Wisdom 4:7-14 NAB*
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PLL.HTM

And, From St. Paul the Apostle:

*We do not want you to be unaware, brothers, about those who have fallen asleep, so that you may not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose, so too will God, through Jesus, bring with him those who have fallen asleep.

Indeed, we tell you this, on the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will surely not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself, with a word of command, with the voice of an archangel and with the trumpet of God, will come down from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first.

Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore, console one another with these words.

1 Thess 4:13-17 NAB*
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P10S.HTM

And, find here a prayer some of the Orthodox brothers gave to me:

A K A T H I S T for the R E P O S E of Those Who have FALLEN ASLEEP
users.sisqtel.net/williams/akathist-repose.html

Find someone to say it with you; one taking the Kontakion, the other taking the Ikos.

I hope this helps. My prayers are with you.

“O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep.”

The LORD bless you and keep you:
The LORD make his face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon you, and give you peace.
Numbers 6:24-26 RSV

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

Hi,
Thank you everyone. I knew you guys would come through:thumbsup: I think I am going to write a couple of the ones given here. The wake is today and the funeral tom. So, thank you for responding so quickly.:smiley:

Thank you to all who participated, this thread is now closed.

Mane Nobiscum Domine,
Ferdinand Mary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.