Help! I need advise!

Hello Everyone out there! I need your help and advise! I have been raised prodestant and have been to a lot of different prodestant churches. I also have been to mass about 2 or 3 times with a friend. Although it seems wrong for me to make a judgment when I have only been to mass 2 or 3 times, I have. When I’ve been to mass it was so WONDERFUL! I can’t explain how happy and peaceful I left there! Just the meditation and prayers and every aspect of it, I know that there has to be truth in it all. I would like to attend mass again. The problem: (I know we aren’t supost to give out personal information, but I think it is necessary for you guys to better understand my situation (besides I saw that one guy gave his age) anyway, I am a teenager and live with my parents). My parents are prodestant. I don’t think my dad would care because he isn’t very “churchy” at the moment. But my mother…she tried to become Catholic twice! The first time she broke her leg and was hospitalized for 6 months and I cannot remember what happend the second time. She thinks it was signs that God was giving her that he did not want her to become Catholic. She is pretty religious. Anyway back to the main problem : I am afraid on how to approach her and tell her I want to go to mass (maybe I’ll leave the I want to become a Catholic until a little later). What should I do? How do I say, mom I want to go to a church you arn’t exactly “for”? Any advise and suggestions would be wonderful. I need some peace in my soul because this matter troubles me ALL THE TIME!
Thanks y’all! :slight_smile:
~crazy4horses

Here’s a little friendly advice from a grandfather: First, pick a time when your mom isn’t busy or stressed out! Then tell her you have attended mass several times and you liked it. Just listen to what she has to say respectfully. If she seems receptive, you could add that you are considering becoming Catholic. Comply with her wishes. You will be an independent adult soon enough and then you can do what you want to do. In the meantime, honor your parents. Good luck and God bless you.

Crazy4horses

In this same Catholic Answers “Non-Catholic Religions” Forum is a Topic “SPEAKING IN TONGUES” BY EDEN.

I had an experience there just these past several days where I explained “speaking in tongues.” A poster, JosephBilodeau responded by quoting ACTS 2:1-4 in the Bible and said that my explanation was not Scriptural.

I kept looking and looking for the Scripture Verses that showed that my explanation was Scriptural BUT JUST COULDN"T FIND IT. Later I found it. BUT I COULDN’T FIND THE POST NOR THE TOPIC "SPEAKING IN TONGUES. Later, I found it. It was in the heading of the subforums and not in the three subforums!!! AND THEN I STARTED TO REPLY BUT THE REPLIES THAT I WAS TYPING KEPT DISAPPEARING FROM THE SCREEN!!!. My hands were tired typing the long replies which kept and kept disappearing everytime I was almost through. Finally, I was able to successfully post my reply. And what was my reply??? IT WAS THE ACTS 2:4-22, THE VERY VERSES THAT IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED JOSEPHBILODEAU"S QUOTE!!!

Why did JBilodeau stop at verse 4 when the answer was in verse 5-9 . How come I had great difficulty finding and posting the Bible quote? Only God knows. But verses 5-22 I found out talk about God promising that on the last days that He will be pouring a portion of His Spirit upon all flesh. And when He does, STRANGE THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!! AND IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH, MANY MANY, MANY STRANGE THINGS HAVE HAPPENED. CONSECRATED BREAD THAT TURNED TO HUMAN HEART MUSCLE AND CONSECRATED WINE THAT TURNED INTO HUMAN BLOOD IN VARIOUS MIRACLES OF THE HOLY EUCHARIST, BODIES OF SAINTS, BLESSEDS, AND HOLY CATHOLICS THAT NEVER DCOMPOSED DESPITE NOT EMBALMED AND DESPITE THE MANY YEARS, CENTURIES THAT HAVE PASSED, EVEN THE EYES!!! CATHOLIC STIGMATICS LIKE ST FRANCIS, PADRE PIO THAT HAVE THE WOUNDS OF CHRIST!!! THE GROTTO AT LOURDES WHERE THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY APPEARED, FORMED A WATER SOURCE WHERE BEFORE THERE WAS NONE!!! VERY SICK PEOPLE WHICH DOCTORS CANNOT CURE GO THERE, AND SOMETIMES GOD RESPONDS BY CURING THE PERSON. THERE IS A MAN THERE WHERE NEW BONE GREW AND REPLACED THE CANCEROUS JOINT SO THAT HIS LEG WAS ATTACHED TO THE PELVIC BONE ONLY BY THE FLESH. NOW THE MAN IS CARRYING SICK PEOPLE!!! AND X-RAYS SHOW THE NEW BONE JOINT GRAFTED ON ONE END TO THE PELVIC BONE AND THE OTHER END OF THE JOINT GRAFTED INTO THE LEG BONE!!! NO HOSPITAL OR DOCTORS IN THE WHOLE WORLD CAN DO THIS TODAY!!! NOT EVEN THESE SO CALLED STEM CELL TECHNOLOGY OF TODAY!!! BUT IN THE GROTTO AT LOURDES, THIS HAPPENED!!! I HEARD THIS FROM EWTN, FROM THE LADY DOCTOR PROFESSOR WHO HEADED THE TEAM OF DOCTORS THAT BROUGHT THE MAN TO LOURDES. THE LADY DOCTOR HERSELF WAS SO SURPRISED BECAUSE SHE TOO IMMERSED HERSELF IN THE POOL OF WATER AT THE GROTTO WHERE SICK PEOPLE WITH ALL SORTS OF DISEASES ARE IMMERSED. AND AS SHE ROSE FROM THE SOUP OF BACTERIA, VIRUSES, ETC THAT IS THE POOL, TO HER GREAT SURPRISE, HER CLOTHES WERE DRY!!! JUST LIKE THE EXPERINCE OF OVER 70,000 PEOPLE IN FATIMA ON OCTOBER 13, 1917. THEIR CLOTHES WERE WET WAITING WAITING WAITING THE WOLE MORNING IN THE RAIN FOR THE APPARITION TO ARRIVE. AND AFTER THE MIRACLE OF THE SUN WHICH 70,000 PEOPLE SAW THE SUN SPINNING, THROWING A KALEIDOSCOPE OF TECHNICOLORS ON THE PEOPLE, THE SURROUNDINGS, THE FACES, THE CLOTHES OF PEOPLE, SUDDENLY THEY ALL SAW THE SPINNING SUN PLUNGE TOWARDS THEM. AND AS THEY ALL CRIED FOR MERCY AND FORGIVENESS THINKING IT WAS THE END OF THE WORLD, THE SUN RETURNED BACK TO ITS USUAL POSITION IN THE SKY. THEN THEY NOTICED THAT THEIR CLOTHES WERE DRY!!!
The body of Jacinta who is one of the seers, her body smell like perfume. Her body never decayed!!! And as foretold in Fatima, She and her brother Francisco did die as children (in the Spanish Flu Epidmic). And also as foretold, Lucia lived to a very old age. She just recently died at age 93. How will you know when you will exactly die??? BUT GOD KNOWS. AND IN FATIMA IT WAS FORETOLD THAT SHE WOULD BE LEFT HERE WHILE FRANCISCO AND JACINTA WOULD BE TAKEN TO HEAVEN VERY SOON AFTER THE APPARITION. THERE ARE MANY MANY MANY MORE SIGNS AND WONDERS IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!!! REASON TELLS ME THAT THESE ARE SIGNS FROM GOD TELLING US TO WHICH CHURCH HE WANTS PEOPLE TO GO!!!

Plain and simple, sweetie! I agree with the 1st poster. Maybe #2 poster could give a more succinct answer that makes better sense for you to understand.

Explain to your mother when she’s not stressed that you’ve been to a couple of Masses and would like to go again. Listen to her reply with respect and obey her if she says she doesn’t want you to go. The one thing that will turn her against your wanting to go is if you dis-obey her! You know how us mothers are when our children blatantly disobey us!!

Like the 1st poster said, you’ll be able to make your own decisions soon about this, so do as your mother says. If she doesn’t mind, then go for it! If she does, then take the time to study about the Cathloic faith. Research the articles here on the home page. Go buy yourself a “Catechism of the Catholic Church” - all is there for you to read. Oh - and you can always come back here to ask questions. We’ll be more than happy to help you out!

Good Luck and Pray!

You could explain to your mother that her breaking her leg when trying to become Catholic was NOT a sign from God that He did not want her to become Catholic BUT was more likely a sign from the demon that Satan did not want her to discover the real Chruch.

Satan alway has a way of trying to prevent folks from finding out about Christ’s real Church. When the saints are approaching their closest to God they are often attacked by demonic forces.

Padre Pio was known to have fought the Devil in physical fights. He was often seen bruised and battered. Satan does not want anyone to side with Christ and often tries to scare people off or abuse them in the process.

Putting your faith in Christ and His Church will clear the way for you. A little bit of prayer and even you mom may be convinced to join you in the Catholic Church. Just tell you mom the truth and tell her she can expect to feel the same way.

And if you think the feeling is right while praying or attending mass, just wait until you have the opportunity to receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist !

Christ’s Peace.

Thanks for sharing this with us! The power of the Mass is pretty amazing when you understand what’s going on - which you clearly do. You may want to go to Church sometime when Mass is not in progress just to be in the presence of the Eucharist and to meditate on where you are going in your religious journey. Of course, I agree with the others who have said to honor your parents’ wishes. You might want to ask your mom to go with you. You never know, maybe you are being used by the Lord to bring her “home”? Even if your parents say that don’t want you to go to Mass, you can expand your understanding by reading as much as you can. Your parents will start to realize how serious you are about this the more they see you dedicating your time to it. You’ll be old enough to make your own decisions soon enough. May God bless you on your journey! We’re all here to help with anything!

(The Eurasian, I don’t want to be rude, and I hope you won’t take this as being rude, but it is best not to post entire thoughts in all caps. It’s very hard to read, and is the internet equivalent to shouting. Just FYI, and I hope you don’t mind me mentioning it.)

crazy4horses,

Maybe, if you tell your mom that going to the CC is something you are interested in learning about, that you want to see for yourself, that might be a good way to start. It is not a lie - you are interested in learning about it and do want to see for yourself. Later, if you become sure about the CC (and I hope you do!), then you can tell your mom about your decision. Who knows, she may be willing to try again.

Crazy4horses I think that the power and love of God in the Eucharist is just awesome. I think that you need to be up front and honest with your Ma and, yes, persuade her to come with you if she is so inclined, but honour her as Scripture reminds us. And you need to just sit and pray and ponder whether this gift is for you. It was just sitting and adoring Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament that brought me to the Catholic Church. The decision to come in, was still painful to me and most of my family broke with me and, hey, I am much older than you and can ‘do my own thing’ supposedly. :wink:

I will pray for you and your Ma.

Eurasian, please don’t use capitals in your post. Too difficult to read and so I ignored your post when you might have something really beautiful to say. Capitals on sites like this are the equivalent of letters written in green ink, with exclamation marks liberally dispersed throughout the text. When you open the letter and see the green ink you think: here is one fruitcake. I don’t think you are a fruitcake BTW. :tiphat:

Crazy4horses:

Great to have you here! Welcome.

First: make several daily prayers: for forgiveness, for thanksgiving and then for petition–and ask God for faith, hope and Charity and intention for your search for truth and understanding from your mom and dad.

Second: pray for your parents.

Third: the advices that were given earlier! : ) Ask when she’s in a good mood and after you do a big chore like mowing the lawn or washing the dishes.

Fourth: Read the bible and great works from catholic writers. We can all pitch in for a list here should you ask for it in the future…browse through the library in this web site.

Fifth: be happy that you are seeing this in the Mass!—for many people do not see what you see…God’s granted you the gift of faith…which means you’ll be tested. Be ready for it. Know that when it comes that God loves you and He always wins.

Hope to see more of you here.
A.

[quote=crazy4horses]…my mother…she tried to become Catholic twice! The first time she broke her leg and was hospitalized for 6 months and I cannot remember what happend the second time. She thinks it was signs that God was giving her that he did not want her to become Catholic…
[/quote]

Ask you mother this question:

“Isn’t it more likely ‘SATAN’ who broke her leg in order to keep her out of Jesus’ body, His Catholic Church?”:nerd:

God dosn’t break legs, Satan does!

You mother just miss-self-interpreted the signs! That’s not uncommon though, millions of Protestants do it daily!:wink:

Thanks y’all. I really aprecciate the advise and prayers! I just hope I don’t chicken out. I am praying for courage! I was going to tell her yesterday but, I was reading a notebook that I have some articles on Catholic stuff in it. She went by before I could conceal things and she noticed I was reading about purgatory. She asked if she could read it, and what was I supposed to do? So I let her read it. Then she read some more articles and she was getting all worked up and bringing up huge contradictions and accusations against the Catholic faith! :frowning: Now what? Now she’s telling me things like how Catholics interpret the Bible is wrong (remember prodestants rely on sola scriptura) and what Catholics believe about Baptism, purgatory, and the Eucharist.I can think of nothing but Catholicism and it is dearly tugging at my heart. If I ask her and she says no, well I’m not good at that whole rejection thing, especially when my heart is so hopeful and set on this. Besides, I realize the whole adult thing but, what if the Jesus comes before then and I havn’t been saved or baptized, I havn’t even sang praise unto him becuse I don’t know any songs. Please keep the prayers and advice coming! They are VERY MUCH appreciated by me.
THANK YOU SO MUCH
~crazy4horses

crzy4horses

Make a printout of this topic. Now you are a fisherman with the printout as your bait. Soon the fish will want more. Coz only the Catholic Church really has the many many miracles. Why do you think God gave the Catholic Church Miracles of the Holy Eucharist, Marian Apparitions, miraculous medical cures, stigmatics, bi-locations, levitations, gift of tongues, bodies of saints that do not decay, ability of Padre Pio, Cure of Ars to tell a person in confession the sin he is hiding? Protestant Pastors like to show how intelligent they are by interpreting scriptures their way. But does God testify that they are correct via miracles??? Google the 'St Johm Vianey, who was the Cure of Ars." The Cure of Ars had very low IQ. BUT LOOK AT WHAT GOD DID IN THE LIFE OF THE CURE OF ARS!!! (By the way, the Cure of Ars is a Catholic priest!!!)

I’ll dignify the messages of Aunt Martha and Cockney Clive. Doing so however means THEY will be the ones underlining and stressing what Eurasian believes is important. That’s how Protestants I think ended up astray.

Google “baptism of desire” and don’t worry, be happy, you have it! So relax. All this will pass. In the meantime you can learn how to pray the rosary. It’s one of the best songs of praise. You can find it on the internet. Pray silently and count the prayers on your fingers instead of getting a rosary, though; if you get caught with a rosary you’re dead meat! :slight_smile:

When I was younger my mom didn’t want me to go to a youth group at a pentecostal type church. She finally agreed to let me go probably because she didn’t think I would be interested in becoming one of them. Let your parents know youre curious and enjoy going. One battle at a time. Talk about conversion after you have permission to go and have gone a couple of times.

One battle at a time. Gain permission to go based on curiosity. After attending a few times then bring up conversion. Make sure your parents know you are making an informed decision, and not acting on a whim.

If your mother decides to take a stand and puts her foot down about it, you should not fight, and respect her wishes (I hope it doesn’t come down to this BTW) You must honor your parents, but always remember you’ll be of an age to make your own decision soon enough!

Buy books written by Scott Hahn…he could convert ANYBODY, and leave them around for your dear Momma to read

Rome sweet Home is his own conversion story
Catholic for a Reason is an excellent explanation of our faith

Most importantly…I just wish I could give you a hug :love:

God Bless You

Great advice from all of the other posters, I wouldn’t worry too much about baptism anyway. The Catholic Church has a broad yet stringent understanding of baptism. The baptism of most Christian Churches is accepted as a valid baptism and unless you were baptized into the Mormon or JW churches (maybe a few others), it shouldn’t matter. I wish you the best of luck, it is a wonderful and glorious thing to find the faith, while I myself am a cradle Catholic, I sometimes wish I could have been one of those who converted to the Faith, it seems like they are often the souls most on fire with the love of the Holy Spirit. A fellow college student and friend of mine was not raised in any faith and his family recently moved to Italy, when he saw the beautiful churches he decided to start coming to mass with me, seems like a similar story. An additional piece of advice I would give you is to make sure you don’t become distracted, the devil works in subtle ways, so keep your interest! The Catechism would be a nice place to start along with keeping up with this forum and EWTN radio or television if possible, I would also suggest picking up some writings of Pope John Paul II, Reasons for Hope has a collection of great pearls of wisdom. If you like fiction I feel as though Graham Greene (while not always orthodox) captures the fire of the faith quite well, so The Power and the Glory might be a nice read. Eventually perhaps you can pick up some Thomas Merton, Seven Storey Mountain is a moving conversion story. It is so refreshing and wonderful to see your excitement about the Church, don’t lose it and I will keep you in my prayers. God bless.

Thanks everyone! You all are such a godsend and blessing! I feel such a battle within me though. Yesterday my mother said some things and I had read some things that started get me questioning. I was raises *sola scriptura * and with a big emphasis and it’s somewhat hard for me to except that change. Purgatory is something I am totally new too and so is praying to dead people,saints, Mary, anyone who is not soley Jesus Christ. I still have a lot to learn!
I have never been baptised in any church whatsoever ( I don’t think when my brother baptised me in the baby pool in the back yard when I was like 6 years old counted :slight_smile: )
I have 2 rosaries :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: ! I found one my mother never got rid of buried in a box when we were moving last time. It is one of those handmade cheap plastic ones, but it means the world to me!!! :smiley: My mother gave her very nice rosary to a Catholic friend when she decided not to become Catholic and that praying to Mary was wrong. That friend gave it to me when I casualy inquired if I might be able to see it someday because my mother told me how beautiful it was! I have them hidden in a special wooden box I purchased with some old tracts my mom once had,and a cricifix I also found in a box. I also keep near it a notebook I keep all my printed articles in. I love to pray the rosary! I even have prayed the divine mercy chaplet a few times. I feel so peaceful and happy when I’m done. Anyway I gotta run before my mother comes home! Thanks again and more advise is more than welcome. You all have started to put peace back into my life, because lately my mind has been so stressed and it feels as if it is at war. ThanksMore information is more thatn welcomed-----I am an open book (as they say) Thank you ~crazy4horses

By the way, I keep seeing this----cradle Catholic. What is a cradle Catholic? Just curious. Thanks for all the help!
~crazy4horses

[quote=crazy4horses]By the way, I keep seeing this----cradle Catholic. What is a cradle Catholic? Just curious. Thanks for all the help!
~crazy4horses
[/quote]

Catholic from birth…thus the “Cradle”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.