Help Identifying a Saint Medal

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum but have for a long time enjoyed reading posts from everyone. Something interesting happened to me today and I need help identifying a patron saint medal that I found.

I have been going through a very hard time lately and praying a great deal. Today, I went to a sandwich shop to get lunch and found a medal on the ground of a female saint. I of course I know that God hears my prayers, but I truly believe that this is more than a coincidence… even if its a subtle message that my prayers are being heard.

The medal is made in Italy according to a stamp on the back but does not have a name on it. The front features a profile of a female saint and the back shows a figure kneeling to another standing figure which I assume to be Jesus. I will include some pictures and any help would be greatly appreciated. If I had to guess I would say it was Mary, but opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance and God Bless.

I don’t know how to post pictures but I will try to figure it out.

If it's one female figure kneeling to another female figure, it might be either a St. Bernadette medal, or an Our Lady of Lourdes medal.

If it's a female figure kneeling to a male figure, it might be a St. Joan of Arc medal, or possibly a St. Margaret medal?

Usually when you see Mary and Christ together on the same face of a medal, it's either a Pieta of some sort, with Mary holding the dead body of Christ, or it's a mother-and-child arrangement.

You might do a Google image search with those names, and see if any of them match what you have.

Good luck! Let us know what it turns out to be. :)

I am wondering whether it might be a St Faustina/Divine Mercy medal.

What other symbols are present? Little details can be significant. Is the female saint wearing a habit? Is she holding anything or is there anything in front of, beside or behind her? On the reverse, what does the standing figure hold (or is there anything in front of, beside or behind him)?

EDIT: Texas, since you just signed up, you probably can't post an image, yet. If you have a photo gallery (e.g. Flickr), you might be able to upload the image there and post a link.

Thank you both so much four your responces. John, you are correct, I con't think that I can post images yet. When I am able to I will upload them on here. Midori, thanks for your suggestion and I did in fact do a google search but I suspect the medal is pretty old, as in done in an old style. The figure on the front is indeed wearing a habit... or something of the like. No one on the image is holding anyting because its just a facial profile. The image on the back is a figure kneeling to another but there isn't much detail as it looks like it was just pressed on the back by whomever made it. I will take both your suggestions and do another image search but I wanted to thank you both for your help thus far! I really appreciate it.

:)

Hi Everyone,

I have figured out how to put photos of the medal I was talking about... or links to them. Any help would be appreciated. The first is the front and the second is the back. Sorry for the poor quality. Thank you so much in advance!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164015920/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164016192/

Edit: I tried using the icon to post the link but it did not work. I am posting links here. I hope that does not violate any rules.

flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164015920
flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164016192

how about identifying a saint -- this is a 5 foot statue my wife got at a garage sale and is now on the front porch of our house

texascaptain,

The reverse image is in a grotto, which has me thinking it may be a St. Bernadette/Lourdes medal. It is difficult to tell for certain due to the blurring of the reverse photo, however. If it is a Bernadette/Lourdes medal, that would mean the standing figure is Mary (her hands would be in a praying position, most likely).

There is a mintmark that would identify the medal producer but I don't know where to find an index.

has a black skull cap, so most likely a Jesuit.

Thank you to SonCatcher, Midori and all others who viewed this forum. You were right in your intepretations, it is in fact an Our Lady of Lourdes medal. I acutally found the exact same medal after doing an extensive google image search. I'll post the link on here if any are interested just to see a better image than my lower quality forums.

A sincere thanks to all of you. The true blessing was finding it while going through a hard time, whatever the interpretation may be. However, I am excited that I now know who the medal represents.

coppertoken.com/Our-Lady-Religious-Medals-FREE-SHIPPING-LOLM0211.htm

Also, thank you all for being so accomodating and welcoming to me as a new member. Guy, I hope you have the same luck indentifying your Saint statue.
:)

I look forwared to seeing you all around the forums.

Ed.

[quote="Guy, post:6, topic:256192"]
how about identifying a saint -- this is a 5 foot statue my wife got at a garage sale and is now on the front porch of our house

[/quote]

I guess a priest from his vestments. Possibly a missionary for carrying a crucifix. Probably not a martyr as they typically have something to indicate how they were martyred.

St. Francis Xavier?

I assumed either St. Francis Xavier or St. Ignatius of Loyola. The person selling the statue insisted he is St. Thomas Aquinas???!!! I think not!!

[quote="SonCatcher, post:10, topic:256192"]
I guess a priest from his vestments. Possibly a missionary for carrying a crucifix. Probably not a martyr as they typically have something to indicate how they were martyred.

St. Francis Xavier?

[/quote]

That would be my guess, too. Here is a photo of a similar statue in Velha Goa, India:

[quote="Guy, post:11, topic:256192"]
I assumed either St. Francis Xavier or St. Ignatius of Loyola. The person selling the statue insisted he is St. Thomas Aquinas???!!! I think not!!

[/quote]

How different they would be. St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Thomas Aquinas would normally be holding books due to their writings (St Thomas would also be wearing black over white rather than the white over black depicted). Meanwhile, Dale M's image from India seems to be almost identical to your statue. It's almost like the sculptor just asked for a different pose from the same model.

[quote="Guy, post:6, topic:256192"]

[/quote]

Put him inside ! :D Some hoodlums might steal him:(

Texas, the Blessed Mother is about to do something wonderful in your life. I randomly came upon the image of Our Lady, Untier of Knots when going through a hard time. She always manages to keep my head and heart where it should be.

I adore that statue!! But I agree, someone might steal him!

Thank you so much pkdsquared, your kind and inspirational words truly do help in this hard time. I pray that you are correct. I am thankful that I was blessed with finding something so special. I hope that you have made it through your trying time, or that you will very soon.

[quote="texascaptain27, post:5, topic:256192"]
Hi Everyone,

I have figured out how to put photos of the medal I was talking about... or links to them. Any help would be appreciated. The first is the front and the second is the back. Sorry for the poor quality. Thank you so much in advance!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164015920/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164016192/

Edit: I tried using the icon to post the link but it did not work. I am posting links here. I hope that does not violate any rules.

flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164015920
flickr.com/photos/67770005@N08/6164016192

[/quote]

correct me if i am wrong that is Saint Bernadette and the Beautiful Lady, but not her first visitation to Saint Bernadette, which visitation would this be then?

[quote="guestseeking, post:17, topic:256192"]
correct me if i am wrong that is Saint Bernadette and the Beautiful Lady, but not her first visitation to Saint Bernadette, which visitation would this be then?

[/quote]

I don't think the medal designer had a particular visit in mind. He probably just wanted a scene that would be generally recognizable (it worked, since we were able to figure it out sans inscription).

:dancing::dancing:

[quote="SonCatcher, post:18, topic:256192"]
I don't think the medal designer had a particular visit in mind. He probably just wanted a scene that would be generally recognizable (it worked, since we were able to figure it out sans inscription).

[/quote]

I am wondering if the medal is of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.