Help! Is it OK for Catholic Males to wear earrings?

Hi Everyone. My teenaged nephew wants to get his ear pierced and asked me if there’s any religious argument against doing it. I am STUMPED. I don’t know that the Catholic faith counsels specifically against it – personally, I prefer males to not wear earrings, even little diamond studs, but is there any teaching I can share to show that it is inappropriate or is it just one of those things left to culture?

Thanks in advance for any advice – I’d like to answer him as soon as possible (and hopefully convince him not to do it.)

I know of no Catholic teaching, and have never seen anything authoritative here with the multiple times the question has been asked, the prohibits earrings, piercings, tattoos etc. Just because I don't know of it does not mean it exists. You might do a search on AAA

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
I don't think that there should be any problem whit the Church,it just cant be a sin. Just remember to go to a place where they know what they do,and keep it clean to avoid infections wich are always a possibilty. I am 50,but a bit younger I wos thinking about it,never did it,I cant stand pain. But it is much wiser then a tattoo that is there for ever. If You are not sure what the Church says,even I am sure the Chuch has nothing against it,talk whit Your priest,and above all,talk whit the parents before You go a long whit this thing,I see them as a much bigger issue against this thing. Blessings,Totterman.

Even if you stop wearing earrings, the holes could be there forever. And they are right next to the face, and impossible to cover up. So I’m not sure that earrings are necessarily wiser than a thoughtfully placed tattoo. I do agree that there is probably no rule against male ear piercings, although there may be arguments against its prudence. I’m sure it has to do with culture. I would keep in mind that culture is more than just “what all the kids today are doing” but encompasses a broad spectrum of ages, values, and time. I’m female. I have a second ear piercing that I got in college that I wish wasn’t there. It’s right there for me (and others) to see every day of my life, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I would personally counsel my nephew to wait until his 20’s (like after college graduation) for something like this - you just never know what little things you’ll regret, and since you are talking about a permanent change in the body, it wouldn’t hurt to wait until you’re more settled in to the norms of whatever life you will be living by then.

Yes. As I understand it, ornamenting the body is morally neutral. For example, for a Catholic, wearing a cross earring is positive/good, wearing a diamond stud is neutral, and wearing a pentagram is negative/sinful. The same is true for tattoos -- For example, a crucifix is positive, a heart with "Mom" is neutral, and a swastika is negative.

As long as he doesn’t have the intention of looking like a woman, isn’t trying to transmit a message that is contrary to the faith, and doesn’t have an occupation or hobby that would make it dangerous, I know of nothing that forbids it. There are people who have earrings in order to transmit a gang affiliation, to gloat over their wealth, to solicit some particular sort of sexual encounter, that kind of thing, but that isn’t really the norm. It’s just something to be aware of, so you’re not sending a message you had no intention of sending.

Most people just do it because it is more comfortable to wear earrings that way. There isn’t a prohibition on that.

Tell him he has enough holes in his head.

He might regret it later
Some folks might 'snub' him as a rebel because of it
You personally don't care for earings in any men
It will make him, right or wrong, look less clean cut

BUT...it is not a sin in and of itself.

Tell him to wait until he is older and then decide if he really still wants it...and why. If at 25 or even 21 he wants it, go ahead.
Taben

p.s. There could be MUCH worse things he could be contemplating...count your blessings!

I have had multiple peircings but have allowed most to close up. I have several earrings in my ears. No one has kicked me out of church, thrown holy water on me, or said I’m the anti-Christ.

People need to chill out-being Catholic doesn’t mean you can’t do anything fun.

[quote="Truly_Beloved, post:5, topic:215048"]
Yes. As I understand it, ornamenting the body is morally neutral. For example, for a Catholic, wearing a cross earring is positive/good, wearing a diamond stud is neutral, and wearing a pentagram is negative/sinful. The same is true for tattoos -- For example, a crucifix is positive, a heart with "Mom" is neutral, and a swastika is negative.

[/quote]

See, I wouldn't even say a cross earring is better than a stud, as I wouldn't say a t-shirt with a cross is better than a nice modest shirt.

As for a man with an earring, he would just have to look at his motivations and definitely that the earring itself isn't offensive.

I personally am not a fan of men with piercings, even though I have 4 ear piercings myself :shrug: (well, I let the cartilage one close up, I don't know if its there any more, so 3).

[quote="lifeisbeautiful, post:10, topic:215048"]
See, I wouldn't even say a cross earring is better than a stud, as I wouldn't say a t-shirt with a cross is better than a nice modest shirt.

[/quote]

I view proudly wearing symbols of the faith as a way to evangelize, which is why I say they are positive. :D

Yes it is ok.

Yeah its fine. I personally don't like it when men wear tattoos or piercings, but its not my place to say what they do with their body. I just wouldn't date or marry a guy with such body markings. I, as a girl, only have my ears pierced because I like it, but thats it....

ohh, ill probably get my belly button pierced too. But i wont be getting an tattoos or other piercings.

Hi Everyone

Thanks SOOOOO much for all the answers. I was terrified of being left there hanging. Ok so ornamenting the body is morally neutral but we have to be careful about the motivations. I was thinking about that, too “Is it a looking hip thing?” I was concerned about him being perceived negatively, even in a future professional setting. It’s true that he may regret it later, too.

Waiting until he’s about 21 or 25 to see if he still wants one is an EXCELLENT bit of advice – I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks, ThyKingdomCome and Taben; I am counting my blessings. He told me he’d been checking his bible and reading up but couldn’t find anything against it. He doesn’t want to do other piercings or tattoos but thought a little diamond stud was attractive.

I know his parents would not approve either, and will remind him of this. Nec5, I’ll try the “enough holes in his head” angle – at most, he’ll get a laugh.

So, thanks again to everyone – I know being Catholic doesn’t exclude having fun but you never know, what you might think is innocent fun could actually be against our faith’s teachings. I’m glad I had people to consult on this.

God bless you all.

Angel

PS Forum Admin, feel free to close the thread now :) thanks!

I know a priest with both tatoos and earings. The tatoos are from his military days.

He often speaks to shocked parishioners that he has kept his earings. He told me and my friends that the earings are often judged as wrong based on ancient Egyptian coustom of putting earings on a slave. This separated freemen from the enslaved as slavery (unlike in this country) was not based on skin tone. He often illuded to the scene from Alladin where the genie is able to be “free” when he looses his wristcuffs…as one of the forms of being free.

I also believe him in the fact that Jesus or John the Baptist may have had earings as it is said that “he took on the apperance of a slave” which would of meant earings.

These have little place in our modern day world, and often an earing means quite the opposite…freedom to do what you want…

As far as practical astetics and the workplace. Earings on men and women are accepted in this modern professional workplace. Noserings other wierd piercings, or “gauged” ears are not.

Yeah. Because poking holes in your face is fun.

My friend, it’s harmless. Just because it’s not your personal thing doesn’t mean it’s horrible. Your free to your opinion, as am I. Be careful not to be too judgemental though-many people who have tattoos and peircings are far more moral than you and I.

To be clear, I’m not saying you where being judgemental.

[quote="Rascalking, post:17, topic:215048"]
My friend, it's harmless. Just because it's not your personal thing doesn't mean it's horrible. Your free to your opinion, as am I. Be careful not to be too judgemental though-many people who have tattoos and peircings are far more moral than you and I.

To be clear, I'm not saying you where being judgemental.

[/quote]

I was being judgemental because that's one of the main reasons God put us here. To judge justly.

[quote="Nec5, post:18, topic:215048"]
I was being judgemental because that's one of the main reasons God put us here. To judge justly.

[/quote]

Being judgemental about a guy wearing earrings or something? I don't think that is what God had in mind, but knock yourself out.

[quote="Nec5, post:18, topic:215048"]

[/quote]

Huh? I do not understand what on earth you are talking about.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.