Help locating a passage about bodies?

My father, shortly before he passed away from lung cancer, pointed out to me in his bible some verses regarding taking off our current bodies and putting on our heavenly bodies (or something along those lines). I believe it was in one of the letters.

Unfortunately, while moving, I’ve temporarily misplaced his bible with the verses marked and highlighted.

Even more unfortunate is my close friend just had to move her father into hospice today (also due to lung cancer). I’d love to be able to share those verses with her and her father. They brought my dad much comfort, and perhaps they’d help my friend and her dad as well.

I’ve tried searching an online bible but (as always sigh) I either get so many results I can’t begin to find it, or no results at all when I try to put in the phrases I remember.

Any help appreciated, time is obviously of the essence or I’d wait and call my siblings and/or continue the search for my bible.

My thanks and prayers.

CJ

St Paul says something like that in 1 Corinthians 15:40-44:

40 There are celestial bodies and there are terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 5:1-4

1For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.

Thank you so much! This is what I was looking for.

I thought the receiving of the glorified bodies will ONLY happen at the second coming…??

I don’t know theology well, but I do know, that for my father whose body had served him well caring for others for over 86 years, who went from elderly but driving and able to walk with a cane into completely bedridden within the span of a few weeks - the reminder that these bodies we have are only temporary and so much better awaits was very, very comforting.

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.