Help me apply for a job please

My dh and I have decided things are tight enough that for the first time in over 10 years, I’m applying for a p/t job. Very p/t, only 10 hours a week at a local library. Of course, I may not even get it.

However, I have NO idea how to handle the application field for past employment or what in the world to put on a resume in that area. I honestly can’t remember the last job I had or the details of it. Was it a gas station? I remember working at a gas station, but they are out of business now… or was it the satelite service company? Weren’t they bought out by some other company??

My dh says I fill it out with my job as Domestic Engineer and list all the amazing feats I accomplish around here for the family with titles such as bookkeeper, education facilitator, time management, etc…

Seriously? Yes, he’s dead serious.

I need help with this and he’s just annoying me.

I’m somewhat glad for this because these are things I should be able to handle if something ever should horribly happen to dh. http://4real.thenetsmith.com/smileys/smiley18.gif

Opinions?
I’m not really worried about the actual job or being professional. Just this one thing…:shrug:

Humor would work if everybody had the same sense of humor, so I would not attempt anything of the sort.

This might entail writing something like *returning to the workforce after ten *years or career change from wife and mom to… Putting some work experience, if accurately expressed, would be fine, but an employer would be most interested to learn what relevant experience you have: if you have none, and since you are making a big change, the less said the better.

Most places of work understand career change or life change or whatever.

See if the public library has a book on writing resumes.

Sometimes a town will sponsor free workshops on career starting.

Community action offices (which go by other names, too) specifically do that sort of thing in some states.

Best of luck.

Don’t forget that volunteer work is still list-able on your application. My ds got a good job for his very first job because of his volunteer work.

don’t be afraid to list educator… as you homeschool.

There are other formats you can use if you have little or no job experience… your best bet is to either try a resume wizard (your word processor program will have one) or get a book from the library about resume writing. The typical format is chronological and that isn’t going to be the best format to highlight your skills. There is a format that uses more life experience and volunteer work but I can’t think what it is called.

Oh… don’t forget your blog and computer skills… it shows you are literate…they like literate at libraries.

prayers for you!!!

My first job ever was working as a shelver at the local library. When I applied, I believe I just left that section blank! Libraries can be good entry-level places, so I wouldn’t worry too much about coming up with relevant experience. Employers value honesty more than anything else. Good luck! :thumbsup:

What skills do they want from you there? Emphasize what experience you have in those areas. I would think libraries want people who are organized, dependable, good with people, etc. Play up your strengths, and don’t worry about actual time of experience at an employer. Let them know that you can do the job better than anyone else, that’s what will get you the job. Good luck!

My mom was a stay-at-home mom while us kids were growing up. She also taught CCD religion classes (now called PSR) to kids as a volunteer. When we moved out and dad retired, she wanted a part time job similar to the one you’re looking for.

While circumstances permitted, she worked for awhile at the YWCA and then at an after-school program teaching kids chess.

She now is a stay-at-home caretaker for my dad, but still finds time to teach religion classes.

If she could do it, you can.

Prayers for you! :slight_smile:

~~ the phoenix

I think it’s important they know you are returning to work, and I second whoever said listing volunteer work and educator (homeschooling) and your blog. As for resumes, I usually list my name and contact info at the top, and then each job position/title, with bullets underneath listing job responsibilities/tasks…also include length that you have done it. At the bottom I list my formal education (high school diploma with high honors, and then the total number of college credits I have taken next to the name of the last university I attended)…Remember to list everything in order from most recent to least recent. It helps to write a cover letter to give with your resume, explaining a little about yourself, why you want the position, and what you will bring to the position. If they just have an application, it may be better to fill out your personal information and then attach the resume, as you don’t have job experience per say. for example:

Robswife
phone number
email address
mailing address

Work and Practical Experience

1st position, location, length of time
[LIST]
*]1st responsibility
*]make sure to use present tense verbs e.g. “handle accounts”
*]use fragments not complete sentences
[/LIST]

Formal Education

University blank credits completed

Blank high school diploma year, list any special awards

Hope that helps! The resume should be one page or less, and I usually try to make it as attractive as possible…draw their eye in :wink: You can post some examples as attachments if you want feedback from all of us here!

Martha, if you can’t remember enough detail about your past employment, then I wouldn’t include it. And if they were short-time sort of jobs that you didn’t hold for years and years, then they may not apply anyway.

If it were me in your position, I would only put “Homemaker” as past employment experience. And then, in my cover letter, I would take a paragraph and talk about how the skills to manage a home can and do carry over to a professional position. I wouldn’t make it long, but I would put in some key words that you think would stick out as applicable for the position.

I used to hire people in my job all of the time before I had children, and I would receive so many resumes that I got reallly good at skimming and looking for specific words/skills/attitude/personality. So many resumes that you see bleed together. I would think a resume like yours would actually stick out because it is different and the person reading it may take a closer look, if for no other reason than curiousity.

Good luck to you! At the end of the day, if God wants you to have this job, a little Angel will put your resume at the top of the list! :wink:

Okay… I actually know all the details of how to make a resume.

**My problem is the app is online and formatted, which makes it nearly impossible to give it any personal touch. So when I look at what I enter, all I see is a bunch of empty slots that are red because it’s a “required” field.:frowning: **

**I think I’m going to print the online thing off filled out as best I can and just take it in in person. The only question on the entire thing that is personal is, “What do you think makes you qualified for this position?” To which I answered honestly, “A love of books, people, learning, and organizing!”:smiley: **

Sounds great!

Best of luck.

Oh dh says I shouldn’t mention my blog AT ALL because it is too religious and homeschooling-ish. His reasoning is someone may not want to hire me if they think I can’t “check it at the door” so to speak. Which is most likely true.

I have been told by career counselors that it is best to leave out any volunteer activities that directly mention a particular church or religion. Also, leave out anything that directly mentions your marital or family status. It is illegal to ask if one is married, has children, is Catholic, etc. Do not volunteer information that the employer cannot legally ask you.

It may be illegal to ask whether or not a candidate has children or is married, but in this case I think it’s important to note. A homeschooling mother of eight? Any management of a library will jump all over that. They KNOW that homeschoolers are in and out of the library and expert at using books as resources. Not to mention that if Martha DOESN’T mention it, she just washes all the skills she’s developed and used over the last ten years directly down the drain.

I would definitely put “homemaker” and “homeschooling educator.” References could include members of a homeschooling group who witness what you do on a daily basis.

Also, my volunteer involvement in the past has always been a major plus when interviewing for jobs. Almost all of my volunteer work has been Church-related.

Language is also important on a resume. “Dynamic homeschooling mother,” “solid experience with children’s literature,” “strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational habits,” “versatility with research and subject exploration,” …etc :slight_smile:

I worked for the public library system when I was in high school and college. Since they are run by the government (the county), they are very big on strict separation of church and state, EEOC non-discrimination, etc. If the library is city or county-run, any references to religion or marital status would be a red flag. It would depend on the library system.

Hi Martha,

You should consider writing a “functional resume”. A “functional resume” is an alternative resume style that emphasizes your skills instead of your past employers – this would be perfect for you.

However, I think you mentioned that you’re filling out a form online, so such a resume might not be possible for this job. Still, you might want to write a functional resume in the future.

Search for “functional resume” on Google to learn more.

Thanks…that is what I was thinking of…

Martha… I worked at a very anti-Christian place and still listed my volunteer work because it showed I could teach and had management skills (DRE). I explained that I had to substitute teach, manage documents, call parents when children were absent or misbehaving, etc… They appreciated it because I was applying for a mentor position.

I don’t know what position you are applying for so I’m not sure what skills the library is looking for. Are you going to be shelving books? Will you be checking them out? Will you be assisting people with finding reference materials? Do you need internet search skills?

You’ve worked with the public. You’ve used technology. You’ve probably instructed children on the use of technology. You love books. You’ve had experience showing others how to make use of books. You know how to organize both materials and people.

You know better than us whether the local library climate is hostile to religion and/or homeschooling so you can mention or omit as much as is reasonable. If possible, see if you can find out who will make the hiring decision and tailor your information to that person.

Not sure your background . . . but our county hires as home teachers anyone w/ a bachelor’s degree (in anything).

I am going into my 3rd year hometeaching. (after 16 years of homeschooling :slight_smile: )

The pay is good, the hours are flexible. —KCT

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.