Help me choose a good Catholic Book!

i recently am turning into a book worm
please help me to choose which book i should get in number order, best to worst, which to buy asap or save for later! or what i should avoid. thanks!

And let me first introduce myself. i am a teenager who would like to know more of the Blessed Virgin and also spiritual warfare. I also feel i should buy a book on God the Father as well but if i get closer to Mary, im sure i will get closer to the Father. But nonetheless i will take some recommendations. And i never had a prayer books, but find them fascinating so i would like to buy one. I have read the book "Behold I Stand at Your Door and Knock" fyi

OK this is going to be long, the list is around 23/24 books. im sorry lol. i pretty much bookmarked every book i saw.

One more random question, anyone who prays the 7 dolors rosary out there? i bought one but on online pics, there are only 3 beads on the line but the one i have has 5. by line, i mean the thing that is not part of the circle.
i have no clue what i am supposed to say on the 2 extra beads....

thanks again guys

[quote="theYS, post:1, topic:255326"]
i recently am turning into a book worm
please help me to choose which book i should get in number order, best to worst, which to buy asap or save for later! or what i should avoid. thanks!

- The Secret of the Rosary
amazon.com/Secret-Rosary-Louis-Grignion-Montfort/dp/0899421083/ref=pd_sim_b_5
- The Secret of Mary
amazon.com/Secret-Mary-Louis-M-Montfort/dp/0895556170/ref=pd_sim_b_4

- Hail, Holy Queen
amazon.com/Hail-Holy-Queen-Scott-Hahn/dp/0385501684/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1
- The Catholic Answer Book of Mary
amazon.com/Catholic-Answer-Book-Mary/dp/0879733470/ref=cm_lmf_tit_2

- John Paul II's Book of Mary
amazon.com/John-Paul-IIs-Book-Mary/dp/0879735783/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9

-- True Devotion to Mary
amazon.com/True-Devotion-Louis-Marie-Grignion-Monfort/dp/0895552795/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315445693&sr=8-1

One more random question, anyone who prays the 7 dolors rosary out there? i bought one but on online pics, there are only 3 beads on the line but the one i have has 5. by line, i mean the thing that is not part of the circle.
i have no clue what i am supposed to say on the 2 extra beads....

thanks again guys

[/quote]

I would get these first:

Jesus and the Jewish roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre

Lord Have Mercy by Scott Han

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis

The Rite by Matt Baglio

I would bold the ones I would recommend from your list.

Also, suggestion is to try your local or school library if they have them.

[quote="pablope, post:2, topic:255326"]

I would get these first:

Jesus and the Jewish roots of the Eucharist by Brant Pitre

Lord Have Mercy by Scott Han

The Perfect Joy of St. Francis

The Rite by Matt Baglio

I would bold the ones I would recommend from your list.

Also, suggestion is to try your local or school library if they have them.

[/quote]

thank you for the suggestions.

any one else? i need them asap so i can order them with my school books

and are all these books catholic? dont want to buy any protestant etc. no offense

Hi YS,

Consider This Tremendous Lover by M. Eugene Boyaln. Another that I have always really loved is an older one- The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson. You may have to go with a used copy there. They made a movie of it. That's a novel; great if you're in the mood for fiction.

God Bless,
Joan

bump

Tailor-made for you "Letters to a Young Catholic" by George Weigel. Really good for ant Catholic of any age, but something you should read at this point in your life.

If you want good Catholic writing, I would suggest anything by Bishop Fulton J. Sheen. The man was a polymath, and had witty, thoughtful, intelligent and eminently readable writings on so many different topics of faith.

I have read Scott Hahn's Hail Holy Queen and it is a remarkable book.

I don't see Raniero Cantalamessa's Mary, Mirror of the Church on there. A Catholic friend gave it to me years ago when I was first looking into Catholicism. It freaked my mother out--she left post-it notes all over the book pointing to Biblical passages that she thought contradicted what Fr. Cantalamessa was saying. . . . .but I found it a very helpful introduction to what Catholics believe about Mary.

Edwin

I second the recommendation for
"Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist" by Brant Pitre - a brilliant book on the Mass

Also recommend:
"The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn
"To Know Christ Jesus" by FJ Sheed (a sort of walk through the gospels)
"Hail Holy Queen" by Scott Hahn

Also for a combination of fun and education I love conversion stories:
"No price to high" by Alex Jones
"Rome sweet Home" by Scott Hahn
etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.