Help me explain not receiving communion at a Protestant church.

Hello,

My fiance is Protestant, and I will sometimes go to his church with him in support of his faith, just as he will go to mass with me in support of mine. Last week, his church had communion and, though they have an open table, I did not go up and receive their communion as I know the Church teaches that we should not receive communion from churches that are not Catholic. Afterwards my fiance was very upset that I had not received communion and when he asked why it was I could not receive communion from his church, I could not find an answer that really made sense to him. I told him that the Catholic church teaches that we cannot have intercommunal relationships with other denominations because we believe different things about communion, but he didn’t see why that mattered and I couldn’t explain to him why it does. Can you help me? If you could point to where to look in the Bible to help answer this question, that would also be helpful.

These links should be helpful for understanding why Catholics should not take communion in a non-Catholic church. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*]Ecclesia de Eucharistia (Note especially sections 43-46)
*]May I receive Communion with Lutherans?
*]Why can’t Catholics receive Protestant communion?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.