Help me get Islam out of my head!

It just won’t leave me. Things I think are admirable about their practice:
-a solid faith from all believers (whether forced or voluntary is not the point; the point is, it’s there)
-prayer life is very active
-clear religious tenants

I just wish Catholics would all say the Divine Office. I just wish all Catholics had strong faith that they aren’t afraid to show. I just wish the Trinity wasn’t so confusing!!

Any help would be great since these things have been bothering me lately. I know I can’t control every Catholic into having faith and praying intently, but I just wonder why Catholic Christians who hold the Truth can’t be just as, or more united in action and purpose than Islam!

What you are looking at is appearances. Islam appears this way.

Actually Islam is full of sinners just the same who neglect prayer, who question or don’t believe all of their faith and don’t keep all of the tenants of their faith. There is no perfect Muslim, they are all striving within their faith.

Is it that you are just currently disallusioned with your faith and are looking around to see if there is something else you can turn to?

In the Living Prayer of my life

Forced “faith” isn’t faith at all, it’s brainwashing or something else. Faith has to be voluntary to even be worthy of the term. And public and unified prayer? When your pledge of allegiance is in fact a prayer, an invocation of God? I think it’s alive and kicking.

And the Catholic prayer life is absolutely active - not as public, but publicity isn’t the point. Jesus told us that God sees the prayer that is prayed in secret just as well as that which is prayed in public. Maybe He even loves it more for its very lack of attention-seeking.

Our main public prayer is the Mass - which is still held daily right around the world as it has always been. The Divine Office never WAS meant to be said by all Catholics - it has always been much more the province of the clergy and religious.

Laypersons in fact began saying the Rosary as their version of the Divine Office - hence 150 Aves in place of the 150 Psalms the clergy and religious recited. And certainly the overwhelming majority of Catholics DO pray the Rosary pretty regularly if not every single day or numerous times a day!

:thumbsup: Excellent:clapping:

(why are Catholics always knocked!)

I agree with most of what you said, but I think the above quote is way off base. The majority of Catholics pray the Rosary? I go to a fairly traditional parish, and I’d bet that the majority of the parishoners under the age of 60 haven’t even prayed the Rosary this year.

But to the OP: Catholic Christianity is REAL. The TRUTH. Islam is NOT.

I’m not saying Islam is the truth. I am in fact sure that it is not. God has given me a very unshakable faith (thanks to Him for that), but I don’t know why I think this…maybe it just frustrates me that the whole world can’t just convert to Catholicism.

I offer prayer intentions for the conversion of Islam and Judaism very frequently. I just think that my struggle with the concept of who Christ is/was at this point is taken advantage of by the claims of Islam. What I mean is that I am trying to get to know Christ more. I am thirsting to know what He taught as the Word and His relation to the rest of the Trinity. I just think that I mistake my thirst for knowledge as a sort of doubt and this feeling is augmented when I hear the claims Islam makes on who Jesus was as a person.

I’m also in the same situation with the Trinity: deep in my heart I know it’s Truth and I believe and I confess with my mouth that I believe, but again, I confuse wanting to know more with doubt and along comes Islam to offer input on what the nature of God is…I should meditate on this.

Oh Thank God! You’re worrying yourself over nothing here.

These thoughts go through most peoples heads or thoughts similar to this. We grow in faith not outside of it and growing in faith we hope to come to certitude.

Faith means steadfastness or trustfullness in God. Here is a link about faith:newadvent.org/cathen/05752c.htm.

You have to remember that many are called but few are chosen even still the mystery of the merits of the Body of Christ, the Catholic Church won by Christ Jesus upon the Cross means that salvation extends outside of the Catholic Church. Jesus said ‘I have sheep who are not of this flock and I must tend to them also’ however the Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth.

I believe you know that and so to go on I’d be preaching to the converted and that’s always a waste of breathe!:slight_smile:

Faith is a gift of God but as with all gifts (as the saying goes) if we don’t open them we never come to use them or use them properly. You are at present (no pun intended:) ) opening your gift and exploring it, there’s nothing wrong with that. Only don’t throw the gift away because at first it doesn’t seem what you wanted it to be. Persevere, it will become all you wanted it to be and more than you could have ever imagined.

Other people make their own decisions about what they do with their gift of faith and you cannot judge them because all have a measure to degrees and degrees and your measure is not the same as others; you have less than some and more than others, so no-one can judge.

Persevere and pray and your faith will develop certitude.

In the Living Prayer of my life

And you know that the majority of people pray the Rosary less than yearly for a fact because … ? There’s no basis for such an allegation.

Oh Thank God! You’re worrying yourself over nothing here.

These thoughts go through most peoples heads or thoughts similar to this. We grow in faith not outside of it and growing in faith we hope to come to certitude.

Faith means steadfastness or trustfullness in God. Here is a link about faith:newadvent.org/cathen/05752c.htm.

You have to remember that many are called but few are chosen even still the mystery of the merits of the Body of Christ, the Catholic Church won by Christ Jesus upon the Cross means that salvation extends outside of the Catholic Church. Jesus said ‘I have sheep who are not of this flock and I must tend to them also’ however the Catholic Church is the fullness of Truth.

Jesus’ Revelation took place a long time before Islam came on the scene and Jesus said what He said and was put to death for being the Son of God, the promised One, the Incarnate God. Jesus is not a liar and He is Who He says He is, no-one can be the first and the last without being eternal ‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’ and ‘I am the Way, the Life and the Truth’…period!:slight_smile: Men can claim many things, but God only claims the Truth.

I believe you know that and so to go on I’d be preaching to the converted and that’s always a waste of breathe!:slight_smile:

Faith is a gift of God but as with all gifts (as the saying goes) if we don’t open them we never come to use them or use them properly. You are at present (no pun intended:) ) opening your gift and exploring it, there’s nothing wrong with that. Only don’t throw the gift away because at first it doesn’t seem what you wanted it to be. Persevere, it will become all you wanted it to be and more than you could have ever imagined.

Other people make their own decisions about what they do with their gift of faith and you cannot judge them because all have a measure to degrees and degrees and your measure is not the same as others; you have less than some and more than others, so no-one can judge.

Persevere and pray and your faith will develop certitude by the grace of God.

I agree that it is frustrating that the average Joe Catholic does not seem or appear to be as devout or faithful as your average Ali Muslim. Because of this, we appear to be lazy in our faith.

All I can suggest is to pray for Catholics around the world to be blessed with renewed ferver and zeal for the faith.

Your signature says "Pray for the conversion of Islam."
If your head is free of Islam - how can you pray for their conversion? :slight_smile:

Pray and be patient, my friend.

I don’t think this is true.

I think there are alot of very devout Catholics.

For the most part Catholics are private about their faith. However if you look around the world you will see much evidence of the faith of Catholics in many organisations that help people. In their gatherings of millions to see the Holy Father or to various shrines around the world.

People are praying, people are being good Catholics, perhaps we are reticent about publising our devotedness to our faith, but that does not mean we need to court the press nor does it mean we are not living our faith.

There are many millions of little children saying their prayers with their parents at night inside their homes, there are many lapsed Catholics saying their first prayer after 25 years away from the Church, there are many lonely Priests saying their brevary, there are many sisters and brothers making holy hours everyday, their are many busy mums saying a rosary whilst they do the chores, there are many Catholic schools gathering for assembly and singing hymns to God, there are many grandfather’s praying for football results (:slight_smile: ) there are many grandmother’s praying for their children and grandchildren, there are many men and women praying to discern a religious vocation, there are many single people praying for a good wife or husband to come their way, there are many worried people praying for their health, their finances, there are many devoted Catholic praying to become closer to Jesus and to be holy and the list goes on, just because they don’t lay out a mat in public places, nor in their daily dress show they are Catholic this does not mean they are very Catholic indeed.

If people don’t speak to each other about their faith then it stays private.

I was having a chat with a Priest friend of mine about prayer in his parish and he commented that it all looks like good works and no prayer, but obviously he talks to all of his parishoners and he knows that there is a very deep prayer life going on in his parish and a very devoted life in Jesus, its just that people don’t tend to talk about it to each other, they see it as personal. The result is that people feel isolated in the prayer life side of their faith. It can all seem a little ‘surface’ but it isn’t at all, it runs very deep, very deep indeed.:slight_smile:

As for people being ‘lazy’ in their faith, well we are all sinners, we are all breaking the rules, we are all a work in progress. There is no-one perfect, we are all fluctuating between saint and sinner, always repenting, but in the Catholic Church we have the greatest opportunity to attain perfection in Christ Jesus. Though a soul may break the rules we cannot know their intent and intent is everything so we had better not judge!

In the Living prayer of my life

Stop reading the news for a while.

I agree. That is why I utilized words like “seems” and “appears”. Much of our experience of other Catholics in our local areas are the ones who, as far as we know, only show up on Sunday. Many CAF members have expressed a frustration with the apparent lack of reverence and faith in their parishes. This is in contrast to Muslims who have to do certain prayers in specific ways at specific times. Many of them dress differently (conservatively) and ***seem ***more devout because of following certain Islamic rules like no pork and no alcohol.

I did not mean to imply that Catholics are less faithful, only that they can “appear” to be. Indeed, this was an obvious difference to my cradle Catholic turned Muslim brother!

There is NOTHING admirable about Islam!

Consider some facts.

Islam rejects Jesus as being the son of God. Yet, they say he was a great prophet, but not as great as Muhammad.

Then, take a look at the two, Muhammad and Jesus and compare their lives.

Jesus coming was pre-announced.
Muhammad’s was not

Jesus came to bring salvation to the world through the cross.

Muhammad’s mission was to bring Islam to the world through the sword.

Jesus lived a life of purity

Muhammad, ordered his followers to carry out assassinations and he himself murdered.

Jesus remained a virgin.

Muhammad had 6 wives.

While Muhammad had to be shown his way, Jesus taught that he was the way.

While Muhammad had to search for the light of God,
Jesus proclaimed that He is the Light, the I AM.

Jesus died, but rose from the dead. He then ascended into heaven. In my opinion, Mohammad’s alleged ascension into heaven is a mockery of Jesus ascension, by a false prophet serving the anti-Christ,

Also, Islam has its differences and there is no one doctrine.

Shia and Sunni, disagree on the succession from Muhammad. Their disagreement became so strong in resulted in the Sunni assassination of Shia Imons, who were descendants of Mohammed.

The Shia believe in sainthood and veneration of saints in a simlar way to Catholics. This is apostasy for the Sunnis and many have led mass murder against the Shia for these beliefs.

Jim

I can sum up why you should get it out of your head in three digits: 9/11

Remember, by their fruits you shall know them.

There was no basis for your assertion that most Catholics pray it almost every day. We have a huge parish, and every Saturday maybe 25 people show up for Confession. That’s not even one percent. Given a number like that, I think it’s pretty easy to see that most Catholics don’t even go to Confession…and it’s likely that they rarely pray the Rosary.

Dear ScapularKid.

Islam does not know the truth. Compare the New Testament to the Quran and you will know why a scarf is not a pretty thing but a sad thing to behold. (I have studied islam myself and the mystic exotic-feeling soon gives room to a demystified sense of a reality which is really sad).
I always found hasidic Jews beautiful in their black clothes myself…regardless of the fact that many such people find me as a Christian totally corrupted and they dont respect me as a person… the symbols of such outfits goes right into our hearts though because they point to respect of God and a living in a kind of “sacred room” that we all long to be a part of. Its part of our inner longing that God has put in us… and it wont settle down because we change our habits, pray 10 hours a day or dress in new ways. The peace has to come from the within. Jesus is the sole provider of this Peace. I urge you to focus on Him more… ask Him to give you more of His gifts. Go into new christian settings where people have the zeal, the enthusiasm and the joy that you long for in your surroundings.
I know this line might get blacklisted but I am currently in a pentecostal youth group and praying with them once a week just brings me so much joy… I share with them an enthusiasm that I dont find in my Catholic parish for some strange reason.
Another thing I strongly suggest is this> You are yound and idealistic: how about becoming an active missionary among the people that you wanna see saved. how about going to Israel for a half year to work as a volunteer and get down into some undercover real-life ministry in word and deed. I did it my self just recently., It’s hugely important for us all to be active in evangelising our every surrounding, Maybe God has put the need for muslims and jews in your heart as a call to ministry to these people who are so much in need of the treasure we have.
God bless you.

Muslims fear their god! Catholics and even other Christians have become complacent and since Vatican II, Catholics have been taught that it is okay to “love God”, and not “fear God”.

If Christians truly feared God, they would get off their duffs and actually live Christian lives and fight for their religion and way of life. But Christians today not only fail to do this, they don’t even have the morals and ethics to support and defend their faith by voting correctly. They would rather vote their “pocket book”.

Every vote for a pro-abortion candidate is a vote for Satan and Islam.

It may come down to Catholics not actually knowing their faith as well as Muslims. No where in the “Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit” is a “love of God” mentioned or even suggested. But one of the gifts is a “fear of God”. The seven gifts are: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord.

Until Christians lose their arrogance and quit going around saying how they “love God” but fail their faith, and until Christians actually fear God enough to do what they should, then Muslims will continue to conquer the world.

If Christians fear God, practice and live their faith, then they can lay claim that they “love God”. And in doing this, they will be as faithful to God as Islam is to Allah.

Wow, think I just made up my new sig… :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.