Help me get ready for my First Communion/ Confirmation!

I am about to receive my first communion and confirmation and I have been studying and taking my RCIA class but I want to know what you think I need to know before I cross the Tiber. Please help! Thanks!

You see that giant white building with a dome on it? There you will find, an old, feeble, but wise and compassionate old man on a golden throne wearing a bright white cassock. Please pray for Him. There you will see the visible head of the Church, there you will be embraced by the Arms of your Mother (The Church). Wherever you are, there Christ will be with you, for you are HOME. YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY A KNIGHT OF THE HOLY ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH!!!:extrahappy:

you need to know that Christ is the Way, the Truth and the Life, and this prayer: Jesus I trust in You. the prayer is your preparation, turning over your life, mind, heart and will to Him. He will in return give you His entire self, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity, and will send his Holy Spirit who will come upon you with power. It remains for you only to ask for his gifts and receive them in humble thanksgiving.

You will be joining the Church Jesus founded. That says a lot!

Consider also that this is a milestone in your journey. Don’t think of this as a “graduation” but more of a license to go deeper. Your conversion must continue throughout your life.

God has brought you here. Welcome home!

Too late now, the Holy Spirit got hold of you, enjoy the swim! :smiley:

Jokes aside you must realize that this is just a first step in your path to holiness. Do not become lazy or prideful, just stick to Love and Truth and you will do great.

Pray. Pray when you have time. Pray when you don’t have time. And when you wonder what you may need to do. Pray and spend time with Jesus. Be still. Talk to him and then listen.

I rarely enter conversations, but one of the best things you can do is to join in the prayer life of the Church by praying Morning and Evenging Prayer. There are several versions intended for lay people. The most useful is:Christian Prayer because it has the proper and seasons and saints, plus hymns. Another, which is perhaps easier, but not as full a version is Shorter Christian Prayer. If you wish to spend the money (about $52 per year) there’s Magnificat Magazine, which isn’t really a magazine, but an approved version of Morning and Evening Prayer with the Daily Mass Readings, Meditations for the Gospel Readings, articles, etc. Whichever one you choose, joining in the prayer life of the Church will keep you in the rhythm of the Church seasons and tie you into the corporate worship of the Church, the Mass.

All the best to you and God bless! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your advice! I’m trying to make as many masses as possible during the week. I’ve got an app on my phone that has the readings from the mass on it that I go over when I miss mass during the week (not Sunday.) I think it has the morning and evening prayers on it. I’m going to have to look at it more closely because its free and I’m a poor college student. I try to do at least 5 decades of the rosary every day and to pray the divine mercy too.

Other than that, I’ve read through the baltimore catechism. I think its a children’s version but I like the pictures and the comprehension quizzes. I also read through a short catechism by someone named Most.

My real deal is that right now, after Lent and during this Easter season I’ve really gotten my drive and I want to keep going even after my confirmation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.